flute plans

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pflipp
antispam: No

flute plans

Post by pflipp »

Hi again,

There are a few posts about flute plans in the archive, but before I start bothering people about it, I wonder if anyone can tell me what is still actual.

I know there's Terry's / Luc Verhoeven's plans; I've also read that Jean-François Beaudin has a plan #97 which is basically the R&R of M&E, but it's not listed on his site anymore (anyone knows why?); lastly, John C. posted a few years ago that he could send some plans. That would of course be cool, but again, I thought I'd inform with everybody here first before I'd bother him personally.

I've recently heard of the possibility of following an instrument making course with local bagpipe maker Paul Beekhuizen. I'd love trying my two left hands on turning a flute.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: flute plans

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you want to try a (sort of) local source: the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague used to have plans of different instruments for sale and probably still does. I think they had some drawings of flutes available. It's been over fifteen years since I was there so the recollection is somewhat vague by now.
My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Pipemaker Allan Ginsberg mentions plans for 4 flutes on his website underneath the Uilleann plans but, I can't tell you if that's current or finished because I can recall reading that years ago and it hasn't been updated since. I think the website doesn't get updated much. Just to mention another option to muddle things further for you. Pat
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A good first step would be to join the Yahoo Flutemakers Group.

I would also urge you to answer several questions of yourself: Do wish to make an exact copy
of an historical flute, complete with its tuning compromises and intonation characteristics (I hesitate to say intonation flaws. . .)? Or, do you wish to make an exemplary flute for this century, with good intonation, ease of play in the first two octaves, and good booming tone?

The first challenge can be met by acquiring one of the several plans on the net, or by diligently scaling an existing flute you have access to.

Asking a current maker to open his entire bag of tricks is asking a great deal. Do-able but should be recognized as a boon favor. Even diligently scaling a good modern make is not the final answer, as there is, after all, Art to be acquired which is difficult to be learned without close association with a knowledgeable maker, and by difficult school of 'hard-knocks'.

But I wish you good luck and good fortune in your endeavor. :thumbsup:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I can send you the plans of a Rudall & Rose flute. They're kinda incomplete, so you'll have to figure out certain things by yourself, but the bore and tone hole positions are there. Jon has the same plans, so you could ask him as well.

Biggest problem usually are the reamers, which you've got to make from the numbers the plans give you...took me a while to get things going, but once you have a good set of reamers, the rest comes by itself. Just takes time, practise and lots of patience. And probably a few scrapped headjoints along the way...
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Hehe, indeed, that was you in the archive asking for plans. Looks like they have served you well :-)

I'll send you a PM with my email address, and possibly check by with John C. when he has returned from his holiday. (He was so kind to PM me telling me he was off.)
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Mr.Gumby wrote:If you want to try a (sort of) local source: the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague used to have plans of different instruments for sale and probably still does. I think they had some drawings of flutes available. It's been over fifteen years since I was there so the recollection is somewhat vague by now.
A lot of online resources concerning antique instruments quote the Gemeentemuseum as a source, so I visited it recently out of curiousity. (I am indeed quite close by.) Unfortunately it had very little of its instrument collection actually on display. So I guess you'd have to really talk to people there and get in the archives. As English style flutes never really seem to have reached the continent back in those days, I am also not sure what to find there. Still, it's sad to know that they have such a rich collection and only so little on display.