William Kennedy Piping Festival

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WKPF
antispam: No

William Kennedy Piping Festival

Post by WKPF »

This years William Kennedy Piping Festival takes place in Armagh from 11-14 November. Invited uilleann pipers include: Ronan Browne (with Cran), John McSherry (with band), Eoin Ó Riabhaigh (with Cónal Ó Gráda), Tommy Keane (with Jacqueline McCarthy), Mikie Smith, Ivan Goff, Michael 'Blackie' O'Connell, Brendan Ring (with Niall Keegan & Gerry McKee), Tyler Duncan (with Millish), Tiarnán Ó Duinnchinn, Diarmaid Moynihan (with band), Barry Kerr, Brian Ó hUiginn (with Lorcán Mac Mathúna) and members of Armagh Pipers Club.
Also appearing are St. Laurence O'Toole Pipe Band, Julie Fowlis & Eamon Doorley (Scotland/Ireland), Breabach (Scotland), Zephyrus (England), Goat System (France), Griff Trio (Belgium), Edelmiro Fernández (Galicia), Roncos do Diabo (Portugal), Dr. Angus Mac Donald (Scotland), Bruce Campbell (Scotland), Jonathon Greenlees, Georgi Makris (Greece), Stjepan Večković (Croatia), Kevin & Ellen Mitchell, Ioscaid, Realta and Canntaireachd.
Full details at http://www.wkpf.org.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: William Kennedy Piping Festival

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow! Oh, for the time and treasure. Good luck! Are you going to have that fun "radio" stream again? I loved that.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
WKPF

Post by WKPF »

Haven't decided yet Cathy. But if the interest is out there we'll certainly consider it!
WKPF

Post by WKPF »

Uilleann Pipes workshops at WKPF '10.
Saturday 12th November - Ronan Browne, Mikie Smyth, Diarmaid Moynihan, Michael 'Blackie' 'O'Connell
Sunday 13th November - Tommy Keane, Eoin Ó Riabhaigh, Brendan Ring, Ivan Goff
Also reedmaking both days with Eamonn Curran
Full details at http://www.armaghpipers.org/wkpf/en/fes ... shops.html
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by patsky »

Has anyone noticed that there are not very many of the good American pipers have been invited to participate in the Tionols or festivals in Ireland, while almost all of the good pipers from Ireland have visited our festivals on a regular basis.
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
armaghPiper

Post by armaghPiper »

Ummm, last year at the William Kennedy Piping Festival: Jerry O'Sullivan, Eliot Grasso and Kieran O'Hare. This year there's Millish with Tyler Duncan who played the pipes pretty well last time I saw him in Drumshanbo in 2003 (?). Canada has also been pretty well represented over the years, to use "America" as the name of the continent and not just the "States".

Cheers,
Paul
patsky

Post by patsky »

MMMMM, lets see: "Jerry O'Sullivan, Eliot Grasso and Kieran O'Hare. This year there's Millish with Tyler Duncan"
Thats only 4.

From Ireland Northeast Tionol...not counting other Tionols and festivals:

Maire Ni Ghrada,
Mick O'Brien
Kevin Rowsome,
Tommy Keane
Jimmy O'Brien-Moran,
Michael Cooney,
Ivan Goff,
David Power,
Mickey Dunne,
Eoin O Riabnaigh
Joe Kennedy
Brian McNamara
Gay McKeon.
Ronan Browne,
Al Purcell,
Paddy Keenan.
Last edited by patsky on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

patsky wrote:Has anyone noticed that there are not very many of the good American pipers have been invited to participate in the Tionols or festivals in Ireland, while almost all of the good pipers from Ireland have visited our festivals on a regular basis.
No, I hadn't.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Ivan I consider to be a New Yorker now. Isn't David Power living in the US as well?
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

patsky wrote:Has anyone noticed that there are not very many of the good American pipers have been invited to participate in the Tionols or festivals in Ireland, while almost all of the good pipers from Ireland have visited our festivals on a regular basis.
For a while, the Irish government offered subsidies to Irish musicians touring in the US.

Also, Paddy Keenan is based in New Hampshire.
PJ
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Debbie Quigley and that Hutchinson guy were invited to play at the last NPU tionol in Co. Carlow.
Joe Kennedy is Canadian.
Al Purcell may have been born in Ireland, but he was as American as they come.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I would agree that it seems biased toward the wee place coming to the grand place, but I suspect it's not too far off.

Sounds like it's going to be another incredible year at WKPF (sounds like a US radio station). Wish I could go!!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\