Hall Crystal Low d Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scottie
antispam: No

Hall Crystal Low d Flute

Post by scottie »

Can anyone tell me if the Hall crystal low d flute is easy to get a decent sound from for a beginner? The embouchure looks a little large. I am just starting out and was just seeking advice or info on these. I had seen them at a reasonably low price and was curious about the sound and ease of playing. Does anyone have any playing experience with these?
Thanks,
Frank
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Hall Crystal Low d Flute

Post by plunk111 »

Opinions may vary, but I would definitely recommend NOT using this as a beginner. I owned one (briefly) and found it very difficult to get a good tone. I would recommend buying one of Doug Tipple's flutes or make one from instructions on his web site. Doug's flutes are the ideal starter flute, both price-wise and play-wise. He's a member here as well...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

They are a non-adjustable one piece flute. Playing with others may become a problem.

The finger holes and embouchure are raised and not like most other simple system flutes. Won't roll off the table, but feels kind of funny. Wood, plastic, glass, etc. all have durability issues. Glass has impact issues.

Hall's flutes have a tapered head like a Boehm flute. Boehm adjusted the hole size hole size and fitted keys to fully make his flute. This flute did not and made other compromises.

I think that these are current and correct facts, but the question is what do you want to play?

Easy or decent? I don't know, but (in my limited experience) Hall flutes are different, and will not be anything like another flute.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
scottie

Post by scottie »

plunk111 wrote:Opinions may vary, but I would definitely recommend NOT using this as a beginner. I owned one (briefly) and found it very difficult to get a good tone. I would recommend buying one of Doug Tipple's flutes or make one from instructions on his web site. Doug's flutes are the ideal starter flute, both price-wise and play-wise. He's a member here as well...
Thanks for your advice Pat. Yes, I have communicated with Doug in the past and was always impressed with his honesty and fine craftsmanship. I have to agree with you and others about his flutes. I am sure I will probably just bite the bullet and buy what he recommends. The three piece low D with wedge, lip plate and offset fingering. I know I will be pleased.

Frank
krabben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by krabben »

I second going for one of dougs flutes. I started playing on a tipple flute in D, best choice Ive made.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have one. I love it. I'm not playing ITM. I think it would be hard to play ITM on. I can't play fast on this flute. The sound of it is what got me and gets a lot of people who have heard me play it. Even folks who play the flute much better than me like the sound that comes from this flute. They asked enough about it that I figured they were going to buy one as soon as they got home. The raised embouchure hole makes it easy to keep my lip consistently placed. I've dropped mine from a height of 6 feet and it didn't break. If I did break it, I would buy another one. I play mine with a group of musicians and it's in tune.

If I was a beginner and had to make a choice, I would go with a Tipple, much more useful, much more safe. If I was buying flutes to build a collection, a Hall Crystal Flute would be a must have and great for solos.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

I had one 20 years ago and had a hard time getting good tone out of it. I think of them as pretty "near" flutes.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Anomylous

Post by Anomylous »

[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

Here's my thoughts on the Hall Crystal flute - apologies for thread necromancy, but it's always kind of nice to have all your info in the same place.

Note, I don't have the low D - I have the medium one, in G.

It has a neat sound to it, good for slow airs where you can show it off.
Takes a while to figure out the embouchure, it's different because of the little flange around the tonehole. I don't really know how to describe it.
Non-tunability is a problem, but the solution is to get everyone else to tune to you.
Intonation is not perfect, but close enough to lip into tune without too much difficulty.
The A (would be E on a D instrument) is kind of weak, but improves with practice. This might be just my particular flute - I wish I could have played several and picked my favorite, but that's tough to do over the Internet.
It will do fast stuff and ornamentation, might take some work to get it sounding good though.
Some accidentals are easy to play, others not so much. The little flanges on the fingering holes seem to help with half-holing to a degree.
Fnat (Cnat): In the lower register, oxx xxo works well. Upper register can use oxo xxx, but half-holing is definitely the better solution here.
The 3rd octave is actually pretty good, up to high C (high G if it were D).
Breakability is a drawback, I made a case for mine from a PVC pipe and some foam padding. But almost all instruments have to be treated with respect anyway, and at least this one doesn't care about temperature or humidity.

I agree that it's not for beginners - I was already a fairly experienced flutist when I got mine, and it still gave me some problems. However, it does have a lot of upsides. Put it this way: I play it for fun, and if it didn't sound good it wouldn't be any fun. One of these days I might get the low D.