Jimmy Batty's Reel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mason

Jimmy Batty's Reel

Post by Mason »

I searched for "batty" on the forum trying to find info on this reel, and I am amazed at the people who have confessed to being batty (or the variant - being driven batty). I know medical advice is not supposed to be given, but intervention may be necessary at some point...

Just an observation.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Jimmy Batty's Reel

Post by Nanohedron »

So just to be clear then, the "reel" was just a fiction, a "made ya look" ruse?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mason

Post by Mason »

No sir, I am not a ruser (I confess I had to google the word "ruse". Additionally, I can't confirm "ruser" is a real word). I actually have a question (if that's what you mean) - I just usually ask so many questions I thought I would start with an observation, and proceed to my question after a light-hearted comment. But now that you've forced my hand... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-pLklK-GCc

Is the first tune in the set Jimmy Batty's? I checked the tune against the one listed at the session, and they didn't sound the same. I didn't find anything in the threads (with the exception of the noted confessions). Is Tierney's a variation or the same?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mason wrote:(...Additionally, I can't confirm "ruser" is a real word)
It is now. :)
Mason wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-pLklK-GCc

Is the first tune in the set Jimmy Batty's? I checked the tune against the one listed at the session, and they didn't sound the same. I didn't find anything in the threads (with the exception of the noted confessions). Is Tierney's a variation or the same?
I'm sorry I can't help you with this one. Not a point of nitpickery, but I know a "Tommy Bhetty's", and I'm wondering if you mean that ('round my neck of the woods we pronounce it "Vetty's"), and the one I know is, as in your case, not the same tune.

I don't know the reel you posted the link to, but it's a nice one. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

This is a version of the tune, but not exactly like Tierney's playing. http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1013

June McCormack has it in her latest flute tutorial as well.

|:dA3 AGFE | DFAB ADFA | BE3 (Bcd)ef | gzfd edBc | dA3 AGFE | DFAB AzFA | BE3 Bdeg | fdec defe :|

|:dA3 AGFG | Azag fded | Beed e3f | gzfd edBc | dA3 AGFG | Azae f3e | dfed BAFB | AFAB DEFE :|
Mason

Post by Mason »

Irish Marine wrote:This is a version of the tune, but not exactly like Tierney's playing.
I'm constantly amazed at what a talented musician can do with a stock tune! I have so much to learn.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Nanohedron wrote:.. but I know a "Tommy Bhetty's",
Errrr...Tommy Bhetty's is a waltz, not a reel.............

........just to be pedantic. :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.