"The thumb mash tweak" a how to guide.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dspmusik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

"The thumb mash tweak" a how to guide.

Post by dspmusik »

I've read some detailed posts on "thumb mash" tweaking a non-tunable whistle and making the lower notes not as sensitive to overblowing (correct?)
I am unclear on exactly how to do it though. Do i need to warm up water to melt the glue and take the fipple off, or just start "mashing"?
Most posts say to "squeeze the blade of the fipple", is this the part you are putting your lips on when you play? Should i be pushing down (like tuning), or squeezing together the top (how would that work with plastic?).
Thanks for any details. I imagine the response to this will be the "how to" guide the topic suggests.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Denny

Re: "The thumb mash tweak" a how to guide.

Post by Denny »

"blades" are things that cut...

do not put blades in you mouth (talk like a pirate day excepted)

I'd put off any DIY projects until a better grasp of nomenclature and function have been achieved.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
walrii

Post by walrii »

The "thumb mash tweak" applies specifically to the Clarke whistles. They are all metal with a wood fipple block. You simply mash down on the top of the metal mouthpiece making the airway thinner from top to bottom. If you have a whistle with a plastic mouthpiece, the "thumb mash tweak" won't work - you'd break the mouthpiece!

If your plastic mouthpiece is glued on, making your plastic mouthpiece whistle non-tunable, you can make it tuneable by heating the mouthpiece in hot water to loosen the glue then twisting off the mouthpiece. This tweak doesn't improve the playability of the whistle, it just makes it somewhat tuneable by allowing you to move the head in and out a little. The "hot water to remove the head tweak" won't work on Clarke whistles - there's no head to remove!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
picconose

Post by picconose »

Heating the fipple to make it (sorta) tuneable also will not work on Oak whistles. I don't know what kind of glue they use on those things, but I now have a twisted fipple on my D whistle. It still plays, but just barely. When I get a chance, I'm gonna pick up a Generation D whistle to replace the wrecked Oak. I'd post a photo of mine, but can't figure out how to do that on this forum.
Q: How do you get two piccolo players to play in unison?
A: Shoot one.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Loosening the head with hot water can work on an Oak whistle - I did it on mine and it went ok. I don't recall it being particularly awkward, but that was a couple of years ago. Maybe they changed the glue.

Still don't like the whistle much though...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Ditto, buddha. I got the head off my Oak with no particular problem but that was several years ago. I happen to like the Oak.
The Walrus

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
markbell

Post by markbell »

A twisted fipple sounds like a painful condition.
sibilo ergo sum
walrii

Post by walrii »

"I was so embarressed. My TFS* kept getting worse. I couldn't enjoy life. Then my doctor recommended WhOAmanix** (tm). Now my TFS is under control and I'm whistling a happy tune."

*Twisted Fipple Syndrom

**WhOAmanix is not for everyone. Consult your doctor before using. Side effects may include rapid breathing, elevated pulse, blurry vision and an iccessant desire to hang around online whistle sites.
The Walrus

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The thumb mash tweak can also be applied to Shaw whistles, although their windways are lower than Clarkes and are less likely to need it. In any event, do this a TINY bit at a time, test play the whistle, then do a tiny bit more. It's harder to pull the windway back up than it is to mash it down.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Modern Oaks are friction fit, no need for hot water. When shipped I think they have the head pushed all the way down and mine seemed a bit sharp.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."