"All is fine until she picks up her C/F"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pflipp
antispam: No

"All is fine until she picks up her C/F"

Post by pflipp »

I think that's a nice book title if I ever need to write off my frustrations.

(Although I'm not really frustrated here. Also, there's no real question in this thread; just trying to make conversation.)

I play my flute in a group centered around a G/C diatonic button accordion. This is kind of perfect as the sound is generally warm, and the key of G goes pretty well with a regular D flute -- in fact, I always have to get used to those few tunes that are not in "cross harp".

But every now and then she picks up her C/F, or her C-only Cajun box, and everything changes. Sometimes it's for the better of the music, but mostly not for the flute.

I never really liked C tunes on a flute, not even on my Boehm. The melody always seems to get scrambled over two octaves, with way too much of it in the upper: fingers get braided and ears get raided. (Although simple melodies in C never seem to go below the base C, I guess this is different for the more complex ones.) So there's that, and the obvious problem that I have to learn each tune in two positions, just for the semi-random occasion that she picks up her C/F.

So I'm thinking of getting myself a nice G from Billy Miller to play "cross flute" in C.

While I'm ordering, maybe I should try his D as well.

High D, low D or both? Mmm. I could make my own high D from PVC if I get around it.

Now what if she'll buy that cheap A/D box that I saw advertized? Mmm. Billy doesn't sell any E's out-of-the-box.

I wonder whether they'll throw in flats at the Irish session again tonight. Maybe I should get an F. And a C.

That would be low C. I already made my own PVC high C. Looks awful, though.

Maybe he can get me a nice roll-out flute bag for the lot of them.

Should be a shame, though, if later on I want to order another one. What about a Bb "fife"?

And a low Bb?

Too bad I didn't work this out when the Euro was still up. Could've gotten myself a free flute, there.

Then again, this stuff kind of tends to add up. So this is how a whistle player feels...
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "All is fine until she picks up her C/F"

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Get thee a tweaked C Blackbird whistle. Be happy.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Doug Tipple makes an E flute. I have one and I love it. They play a lot of A tunes at my session.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

G flutes are great for playing in C.
I have a Sweetheart rosewood
and a bleazey boxwood.

Yes, an E instrument is of help if
folks are playing in A.

Also an A flute (sweetheart, for instance)
gives a nice alternative on D tunes.

As you can get excellent higher pitched flutes
for not much money, it's a good idea, IMO.

Also playing higher flutes improves embouchure.

Just to add that if you are playing flute with other instruments,
some tuning ability can come in handy.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I thought for sure that C/F meant Chiff/Fipple. Yes, that's when the trouble begins.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

I like Cathy W's suggestion. Simple, economical, tunable, fun. The "be happy" part, especially. I have a Reyburn C/D set; the C is great when folks what to do a song in that key. And even if that's about the only time I play it with others, it's a terrific sounding instrument on its own.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

But I wants mah flute!! (Translation: don't have the breath control for a whistle.)

Nah, not really. I actually have some whistles laying around, including a C, and I have a self-made high C flute, but I never really need to use those with the G/C, and as it doesn't translate directly in case of a switch to the C/F, somehow I never get to pick them up. (I once made a G flute as well, but the PVC pipe was too small in diameter, so no success there.)

Then again, at yesterday's session the guitarists threw a lot of different keys at me again, often having to transpose a known melody two or three notes up (or down) on the fly -- and I managed quite OK for the circumstances. At least it helps me practicing the keys of my keyed flute. And when they really went down into the flat-lands, the Bb whistle I recently took over from my mother was also a good help.

The thing is that once you start thinking you need a flute in another key, you end up needing all of 'em. I do like the idea of experimenting with flutes in the range where one would normally expect a whistle, though, just to see what it does to the character of the music.

(Didn't think about C/F reading as "Chiff 'n' Fipple", but you're right...)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:I thought for sure that C/F meant Chiff/Fipple. Yes, that's when the trouble begins.
Yeah, that was my first take, too. And then I looked again at "All is fine until she picks up her C/F" and wondered since when had we gone retro and started killing trees and burdening the postal system.

Copies would be tastefully fanned out on my coffee table if I had one. "Oh...I see you read Chiff & Fipple." "Why, yes. Yes, I do. Care to see the latest?"
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Aha, gotcha. Nonetheless ... I bought the whole Billy Miller shebang from someone here on the board, and while it's fun to play flutes in 9 different keys, it's my whistles that go to the session. Maybe I'm just lame, but I really need tunability when playing with others.

If I was going to buy anything next, I'd be after a low G or F whistle as my high G whistle (which has been put into work for one tune in the last 2 years) is just too small to play (not to mention shrill).
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There are reasonably inexpensive tunable flutes in G (alto) and A.
E.G. the Tipple. Also Sweetheart flutes in these keys do
well in ensembles, in my experience anyhow. Also
we can 'blow' flutes in tune. I prefer these flutes
to bamboo flutes in ensembles, precisely because
of the tuning ability. I play a bamboo Olwell A
on the street and it rocks, but sometimes it
won't work so well in groups.

I personally find tunable flutes in these keys more
expressive and controllable than whistles. And
sometimes cheaper too. E.G. a sweetheart rosewood
A is cheaper than a Burke A. And a Tipple A is less than
either.