More on Lark in the etc etc

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

Hi and check this out, yo:
<p>
I thought I'd back up my comment re: overpricedness at LITM using actual numbers rather than vague generalities. Open up a Lark catalog to the concertina section, and check the prices for the "handmade concertinas by Jurgen Suttner" (these have been removed from the very very most recent catalog, and perhaps this is very very why.)
<p>
Now, Mr. Suttner has his own web site and sells his boxes directly to customers. If we look at his own prices we see that, Holy Toledo, Suttner sells a box for $2865, which Lark lists for $4950.
Another box retails for $3677; Lark will sell you the same box for $6475, a markup of $2798.
<p>
These instruments are "special order." If you order them from Lark, odds are they just order them from Suttner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caj on 2002-11-21 07:07 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Caveat Emptor
Caj

Post by Caj »

On 2002-11-21 05:46, Martin Milner wrote:
Caveat Emptor
Actually, if this story has a moral, it is: <b>play the whistle.</b> Six thousand word-deleted dollars!
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

ouch! Quite the markup...but I suppose it does make a difference on whether or not they're getting a discount from the maker or not. They gotta build some profit in there somewhere....but if I didn't mind the wait, I'd definitely buy from the maker.

And for a couple grand, I woudln't mind the wait. :wink:
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-11-21 07:39, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
ouch! Quite the markup...but I suppose it does make a difference on whether or not they're getting a discount from the maker or not. They gotta build some profit in there somewhere....but if I didn't mind the wait, I'd definitely buy from the maker.

And for a couple grand, I woudln't mind the wait. :wink:
Well, if it's special order chances are you're going to wait about the same time whether you buy it from Lark or the maker...

John