Looking for music for "The Holly Hornpipe"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I just discovered this fun tune on, of all things, one of those cheap holiday CDs from Safeway. It's really a great little tune, but the liner notes don't say if it's traditional or composed (and, if the latter, by whom). Because the only time I get to listen to music these days is when I'm driving (usually with a bunch of screaming kids in the car yelling "I wanna listen to Weird Al!"), it's going to take me forever to get it by ear. Is anyone here familiar with the tune? Do you know where I could find the music for it?

Redwolf
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Well, Redwolf, you got me, no idea. I searched J C's and a few other databases, no dice.

Could you try to work out the first few bars on the whistle and post the notes in ABC format? Maybe the tune is better known by another name.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I thought I'd play with it a bit today. I've listened enough in the car that I think I can pick out the "A" part anyway.

I did a search too, with no luck. It's possible someone in the mixed group of musicians that recorded the CD wrote it, but strange that it's not credited, if that's the case. They do a lovely job with it, using different combinations of instruments to build it and vary the texture.

If I can pick out the first several measures, I'll see if I can figure out how to ABC it.

Redwolf
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Redwolf,

I ask because, apart from the possibility that someone else here may recognise it from the notes, there are search methods that can pick out groups of notes and look for tunes with them in.

It is of course, as you say, entirely possible that it is an original composition, and therefore not included in any of the Traditional Irish forums and collections.

happy tooting!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing