WTB: whistle in C#

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

WTB: whistle in C#

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!

I want to buy a whistle in C#, preferably a Sindt or a WW derivate, but even a Susato would be of interest.
Drop me a PM if you have something in C# that has been sitting in your whistle bag and not getting enough playing time.

Best regards,

MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: WTB: whistle in C#

Post by MarcusR »

Last chance:

Anyone with a Sindt C# in good condition that they are willing to part with?

I'll pay a good price as my main reason is to jump the queue for a new one.
Will even through in a set of Syn's (1 head, D,C and Bb body) to compensate for shipping and handling :wink:

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Marcus

Why not get a C#/Db body from Erle Bartlett for your Syn set.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

You're probably already aware of this but Michael Burke makes C# whistles in aluminum, brass, and composite. One of the guys in our band has a Burke C# in brass and one in composite. They're excellent.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I guess you must have a good reason for wanting a whistle in such an unusual key. If it's just to play the odd tune, have you considered adjusting the head on a D whistle? The trick works to produce a playable A whistle from a Gen Bb, but I've not tried it on a D whistle.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I've done this with a grey-painted Feadóg D, and it works fine. A bit of Teflon tape to keep the head secure at the very end of the tube, and a bit of Blue Tack putty in the bell as a choke, to compensate for the upper notes being affected (flattened) more than the lower notes when pulling out that far.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

hoopy mike wrote:I guess you must have a good reason for wanting a whistle in such an unusual key. If it's just to play the odd tune, have you considered adjusting the head on a D whistle? The trick works to produce a playable A whistle from a Gen Bb, but I've not tried it on a D whistle.
Yes, an unusual key...and one I'd guess MarcusR wants for a particular reason or project. In our band, we do songs in whatever key best suits the lead vocal, harmonies, overall feel and sound, etc, thus the requirement for some odd keyed whistles. I believe our main whistle player has every key Michael Burke makes, some in more than one material. :o
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Ballyshannon wrote:In our band, we do songs in whatever key best suits the lead vocal, harmonies, overall feel and sound, etc, thus the requirement for some odd keyed whistles.
In our band, we play everything in D :-)
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

hoopy mike wrote:In our band, we play everything in D :-)
:boggle: Boy, that'd be nice and convenient. Do you guys do a lot of vocals?
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Ballyshannon wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:In our band, we play everything in D :-)
:boggle: Boy, that'd be nice and convenient. Do you guys do a lot of vocals?
Well, I exagerate slightly, but only slightly. Playing everything in D makes it very easy to go from one tune or song straight into the next.

I guess my point is that I can't see a reason why a (good) vocalist can't sing in D if she/he can sing in C#. But there may be other reasons for playing in C#, but I can't think of many. I have a lovely singing bowl which sings a B, so if I wanted to whistle along with it maybe I'd need a B whistle (and another pair of hands) but I'd probably decide to play something other than whistle in that case.

Just thinking aloud...
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi hoopy mike

The key required may be song specific, i.e. that may be the only key that your singer can sing the song in, due to the vocal range required. For example I normally sing in the C/D area, but if I sing Nancy Spain, then it has to be in B or I cannot hit the high and low notes of the song.

David
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

BigDavy wrote:The key required may be song specific, i.e. that may be the only key that your singer can sing the song in, due to the vocal range required. For example I normally sing in the C/D area, but if I sing Nancy Spain, then it has to be in B or I cannot hit the high and low notes of the song.
Hi Davy,

That's certainly true for songs with a very wide range, but are there really that many songs that a vocalist could only sing in C#? If D is too high, then would C really be too low? We tend to play most things in D with the occasional song in Bb (Bb whistle required) or in G (played on the D whistle) or at a push, in A (again played on a D whistle).
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

True hoopy mike

But it only takes that one song in your band's set - especially if it is a popular one that gets lots of requests or is one that you are specifically working on.

David
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

My Susato Db (C#) is a pretty good player. But I don't have a real need for it. So I keep it in the glove box of my car in case I'm ever stuck in some massive traffic backup (they've been known to happen in the Wash. D.C. area) and I need something to do. The tunable model (Kildare I think it's called) cost about $40 and should be plenty of whistle for the rare times it would be needed.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

R Small wrote:My Susato Db (C#) is a pretty good player. But I don't have a real need for it. So I keep it in the glove box of my car in case I'm ever stuck in some massive traffic backup (they've been known to happen in the Wash. D.C. area) and I need something to do. The tunable model (Kildare I think it's called) cost about $40 and should be plenty of whistle for the rare times it would be needed.
Playing a Susato in the car?? How's your hearing? I had D and C Susatos in the car briefly, which I took back in the house to protect my hearing. I have a Clare and occasionally an Oak in the car now. Yeah, the DC-area traffic does that to people.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.