Sound Studio in My Pocket - Four Track for iPhone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Guyon
antispam: No

Sound Studio in My Pocket - Four Track for iPhone

Post by Guyon »

Today, two new whistles came in--a Tony Dixon Trad D and a polymer D. :thumbsup:

The Trad D sounded so nice out of the box that I began to wonder if I could record some guitar strums on the computer and play along with them. Curious, I checked my iPhone for recording apps, and lo' and behold, I discovered Sonoma Wireworks' Four Track. It had 3.5 out of 5 stars with over 900+ reviews, and after I looked at some of its features, I figured it was worth a shot for $10. http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/fourtrack/

I spent a couple of hours this evening laying down this test track: http://www.box.net/shared/3p44djgbgv It may not seem like much, but I was on the backside of a steep learning curve most of the time. I had to figure out how to operate the app on the iPhone and produce the tracks. Then, I had to figure out how to sync my iPhone with my wireless network to get the tracks over to my desktop; I could not find any way to do so with a corded connection. Finally, I had to figure out the basics of the associated (free) software offered via Sonoma Wireworks, a program called Riffworks. http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffworks.php Riffworks saves the mix as a .wav file, so I used iTunes to convert the file to an .mp3. I also registered for a box account and uploaded the clip.

Exhausted, I had a beer before making this post.

I did learn a lot, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with this app and mixing some songs. Four Track comes with a built-in metronome that you can use as a practice tool and as an aid to get your tracks in time as you're recording them. The beats-per-minute as well as the pitch options are readily adjustable. My only real complaint with the app is that you cannot delete a track once you start laying down tracks for a song, a deficiency that I hope is remedied in a future update. You can record over a track though. I had to record the guitar track a couple of times until it was acceptable before turning to the whistle track, which I also recorded twice. On a side note, I recorded both tracks with just the microphone in my iPhone. I'm betting I could get even better results with a plug-in mic.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. If there are any iPhone folks out there, you might want to give the app a look.
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Sound Studio in My Pocket - Four Track for iPhone

Post by Blaydo »

What's the Dixon polymer D like compared to the Trad D? I have the Trad. Is the polymer you got the one with the tuning slide?
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Blaydo, yes, the polymer version I have is tunable. To my unseasoned ear, the polymer has a sweeter, purer tone than the Trad. Not better, just different. The polymer version also has slightly smaller holes that might suit a beginner. Like the Trad, it has a lower register that requires a light touch (breath control) to hit the lowest notes. Takes a little getting used to, but sounds nice once you figure it out. I took a quick pic of both whistles since the camera was sitting here at the desk.

Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Just after I posted, I remembered there was actually 2 polymer tuneable Dixon D's. This is the one I was thinking you had, with a brass tuning slide, not much dearer. Look how sexy it looks, I'd get slaggings in the pub if I showed up with such a fancy lookin whistle. I was expecting you to say that the polymer had a deeper tone and not as pure as the Trad, cause that's how I find the other Dixon polymers I have in C and Bb. I was thinking if it was deeper it might suite better for accompanying the singers.

Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Fancy indeed. You'd need a gold earring to offset the tuning joint on that one. Maybe a gold front tooth too.

The polymer version I have does not seem deeper, but my sense of "pure" tone may not be what whistlers think of as pure. Tell you what, when I get a chance, I'll record a couple of comparative clips with the iPhone and post 'em up so that you can hear the difference. You know what they say... an audio clip is worth a thousand words.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

That would be great, thank Guyon, whenever you get a chance. Post it on this thread please so I'll get notified.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Blaydo, here's a quick effort. I picked a tune that would have some drawn out notes so that you could hear the tones.
Please realize (a) I'm a beginner and (b) I'm still figuring out these two whistles in terms of controlling their respective sounds.

I am realizing I don't have the vocabulary yet to describe whistle tones adequately. Upon listening to these clips in succession, I think maybe you're right that the Trad D has the sweeter tone, but it also has a bit more chiff (I think I'm using that term correctly). That's what I meant when I said the Poly D has a purer tone.

Dixon Poly D clip

Dixon Trad D clip
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Afterthought...

As for the song, Shenandoah, I know it's not a traditional Irish tune, but it is part of American traditional music, and it has a definite slow air feel to it. I just picked it up this afternoon after seeing this YouTube clip and thinking, "well, that's an easy one." I've been playing it more and more this evening and adding ornamentation in spots. It's starting to sound a little better than in the clips.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Hmm interesting, I think your poly sounds better, what do you think? I'm thinking just for slow air or accompanying singers here, usually slow songs. I don't know what it is, but at sessions the Trad just isn't cutting it for me any more at least not on slow tunes.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

That's so cool.

I bet Apple never thought someone would figure out how to use an iPod as a 4 Track recorder! Other nifty audio apps I've found are a free FFT analyzer and the Peterson iStrobe tuner for $9.

I found a microphone on amazon for $0.01, plus $3 shipping. Being a small electret, it will have a flat response, and a bit of noise. This mic plus the 4 track and the iStrobe will probably make the iPod Touch the absolute coolest shirt-pocket thing I have.

And to think that all I wanted it for was to listen to tunes. :wink:
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Blaydo wrote:Hmm interesting, I think your poly sounds better, what do you think? I'm thinking just for slow air or accompanying singers here, usually slow songs. I don't know what it is, but at sessions the Trad just isn't cutting it for me any more at least not on slow tunes.
Blaydo, I haven't come down one way or another yet, probably because the whistles are so new (and because I'm so new to whistles). I'll pick up the Poly, play, and after a while of practicing, I'll think "that sounds pretty good." A little while later, I'll pick up the Trad and do the same thing. Time and practice will tell.

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this clip a good example of chiff? I recorded it on my Clarke Sweetone, and I've read that Clarke's are chiffy whistles. We're talking about a sort of wispy sound quality, right?

Here it is untouched:

Sweetone D

And here's an example of what the Riffworks software will do just by clicking the Reverb setting. (I used it on the very first test clip with guitar accompaniment.) Gives it a nice playing-in-a-stairwell sound:

Sweetone D Reverb

highland-piper wrote:That's so cool.

I bet Apple never thought someone would figure out how to use an iPod as a 4 Track recorder! Other nifty audio apps I've found are a free FFT analyzer and the Peterson iStrobe tuner for $9.

I found a microphone on amazon for $0.01, plus $3 shipping. Being a small electret, it will have a flat response, and a bit of noise. This mic plus the 4 track and the iStrobe will probably make the iPod Touch the absolute coolest shirt-pocket thing I have.

And to think that all I wanted it for was to listen to tunes. :wink:
highland-piper, I didn't notice before, but you're right that Four Track will work with an iPod too (requirements: iPod touch 2nd Gen OS 3.0). I haven't seen the iStrobe tuner (I will check it out), but I do have the Cleartune tuner app on my phone. I have a digital tuner in my guitar case, but more often than not, I just use my iPhone now.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Guyon wrote:Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this clip a good example of chiff? I recorded it on my Clarke Sweetone, and I've read that Clarke's are chiffy whistles. We're talking about a sort of wispy sound quality, right?
Yeh that's what I'd call chiffy, I have a couple of clarkes here and not really fond of them, at least not in the higher octave when they get even more chiffy, I suppose they are fine in the lower octave.

Was at my regular Wed session last night and it seems to be turning into more of a "sing song", less tunes and more singing, I have lots of recordings so I'm going to go through a load of the songs this week. I can't do it in real time at a session to new songs but at home I'll pick them up in a few minutes. I've noticed people listening prefer the sound of lower whistles to accompany songs, like the Bb I have, so I've decided to buy myself a Dixon low D. It's gonna be a bit of a nightmare getting used to the stretch but it has to be done some time, may as well start now I suppose.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Does Riffworks have a high pass filter function?

If so, you can use it to take out that low hum in the background. If not, download Audacity, which is free and has quite a full selection of recording studio functions.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Blaydo wrote:I've noticed people listening prefer the sound of lower whistles to accompany songs, like the Bb I have, so I've decided to buy myself a Dixon low D. It's gonna be a bit of a nightmare getting used to the stretch but it has to be done some time, may as well start now I suppose.
Even though I'm just into whistles a month or less, I already took the plunge on a low D. Contacted Tommy Dion to find out about his PVC whistles (partly because I like to kayak and hike and wanted something impervious to the weather), and he had a couple of three-piece low D's left over from a festival he had just worked. I figured it was a sign and gave one a shot. Fun to play, but HARD to play at first because of the stretch. Every time I switch over to it from a high D, it takes getting used to all over again. I'm hoping that'll change eventually.
Jerry Freeman wrote:Does Riffworks have a high pass filter function?

If so, you can use it to take out that low hum in the background. If not, download Audacity, which is free and has quite a full selection of recording studio functions.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry, I have absolutely no idea, but I'll investigate. I'll have to do some searching in the HELP section of Riffworks and some Googling to find out. I do know one other way to get rid of the hum and that's to stop recording by the computer. That's the desktop tower you're hearing. :D

Thanks for the tip on Audacity.

BTW, the Clarke Sweetone I mentioned is one of your tweaked versions I got from The Whistle Shop. My first whistle and I've enjoyed it a lot. :thumbsup: