The Eleventh Doctor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

The Eleventh Doctor

Post by Tyler »

So, I've been following the new Doctor Who series since Matt Smith took over the roll of the doctor, and I have to say he's better than I thought he'd be. And I'm glad they got an attractive companion (Donna Noble did absolutely zip for me :P ).

I didn't think I was going to like Matt Smith, but maybe that's just Doctor fixation; when they brought back Doctor Who I thought I wouldn't like Christopher Eccleston (the only thing I'd seen him as to this point was his roll in 'Gone in 60 Seconds' as a baddie) and I ended up enjoying him in the roll. Same with David Tennant, I was sad to see him take over the roll but he eventually displaced Tom Baker as my favorite Doctor. Having watched four episodes with Matt Smith as the Doctor (Haven't gotten last night's episode yet, gotta wait until it shows up on torrents... they don't run them in the US on a channel I can get) I'll admit I think I like him at least as much as David Tennant.

My five year old daughter has gotten quite a crush on the new Doctor, but my wife is withholding judgement for now (I think she fancied David Tennant just between you, me and the wall).

I gotta say though, the new sonic screwdriver almost looks like Borg tech instead of Time Lord tech.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Re: The Eleventh Doctor

Post by Alan »

I have seen the first five episodes of the latest series and find myself mildly dissatisfied.

Matt Smith has potential as does Karen Gillan but the stories so far have just not engaged me the way they had for the most part the last few seasons.

As with you, however, I did not at first care for Eccleston but warmed to him and was sorry he only did one season. I liked David Tennant right away and perhaps part of my present feeling about the show is a temporary let down due to his absence as Doctor.

I don't care for the way they have tweaked the theme music either but then I thought the former orchestral treatment at first a bit annoying and now want it back!

A show running over so many years has its ups and downs, as do I, so I am still in for the long haul with hopes high.
Snuh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Snuh »

Being a relative youngin, I didn't get into Doctor Who until its revival so my experience with the franchise is a little more limited.

While I was sad to see David Tennant go, I was excited for something new in the series. I went into the most recent episodes feeling cautiously optimistic. I'd liked the other two doctors so much I figured chances were good I would like this one too. So far Matt Smith has not let me down at all. He had me hooked from the first episode and if things keep going well Eleven will probably end up being my favourite, though it's admittedly a close race between all 3 of them.

Maybe I'm just really easy to please. ;)
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I have to admit I am enjoying Matt Smith so far. I think the series benefits from being allowed to reinvent itself from time to time. As much as I liked a lot of what Russel T. Davies wrote, I was ready for a new perspective.

By the way, if you were (or are) a Tom Baker fan, check out the "Potato" episode in the Blackadder II series. He is absolutely hilarious as the deranged Captain Rum.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I like the new Doctor, but I did indeed have a crush on Mr Tennant, so that aspect of the show is lost to me now. Luckily Mr Tennant is rarely out of work.

I thought the writing in the last series got rather weak to be honest. Saying that the Doctor was going to 'die' was a conceited affectation, he just regenerated like all the rest.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

William Hartnell was the best. (They jumped the shark way back with John Pertwee. )
If you ever go to the Crown Pub in Belfast, there's a photograph of the interior of the pub on the wall, with him in it.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'm a Tom Baker man, myself, but the truth is that none of the doctors since have had a fair chance with me, in that I haven't seen enough of any of them to get over my 'that's not the Doctor!' shock.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tyler wrote:So, I've been following the new Doctor Who series since Matt Smith took over the roll of the doctor, and I have to say he's better than I thought he'd be. And I'm glad they got an attractive companion (Donna Noble did absolutely zip for me :P ).
Agreed. I am in love with Amy Pond. I'm
very glad they let Karen Gillan use her
real accent instead of having her use RP
like Tennant. Though, some commentator
recently called it Doctor Who, 90210...
which is not entirely untrue.

My wife suggested we write a song told
from the point of view of a fan who fears
he'll lose his girlfriend if the Doctor keeps
getting more attractive every regeneration.
But she thinks Matt Smith screws up the
trend. She says his head looks like a light-
bulb...

I was annoyed that they were pulling the
End of the Universe seasonal story arc yet
again, but I like how Moffat'sbeen subtly
sprinkling around the Crack in Space/Time
references.

I even like the new logo.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Jon Pertwee was my first doctor. For him to be followed by Tom Baker was, for me, the golden era of Dr Who. Having said that, the relaunched Doctors have been excellent and I love what Steven Moffatt is doing. He writes the best, creepiest and scariest story lines. They're much more psychological than the endless running-down-corridors that some of the other writers only seem capable of.

Matt Smith is a great new Doctor and I think Amy Pond is lovely and the new episodes have been way better than last two episodes at the end of the Tennant era which were overblown tosh IMO (but that's Russel T Davies for you).

Donna (Catherine Tate) was always going to be difficult for those who don't know her from The Catherine Tate Show. Her comedy shows split the audience. You either loved it or you hated it. Personally I thought Donna worked quite well.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Hmm, never knew she had her own show.
I'll have to look that one up.

My favorite episode of all time, by the way.....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Catherine Tate definitely is one of those actors your either love or hate...she annoys me immensely and I find myself seriously peeved at her at least 3-4 times every episode.

The Catherine Tate show, in my opinion, had exactly one funny skit the entire run...seriously not my cup of tea.

I've yet to see the new series...I don't have the BBC channel so I'm still watching the prior series on PBS and on netflix.

Eric