UIlleann pipes for Highland Pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

UIlleann pipes for Highland Pipers

Post by tommykleen »

The 2010 Great Northern Irish Pipers' Club Tionól, borne upon the foaming bosom of the Mighty Mississippi River, is pleased to offer this enlightening feature at the event. Read on:

Uilleann Pipes for Highland Pipers – 3:00PM Sunday, May 16th. Only $10!
Have you ever been curious about the uilleann pipes? Are you a Great Highland bagpiper who is wondering what the similarities and differences are between these bagpipe cousins? Then this is your opportunity to gain some insight from someone who has his feet firmly planted in both worlds, guest Highland and uilleann piper Skip Cleavinger. You will glean some understanding of what aspects of piping transfer from the Highland Pipes to the uilleann pipes…and what do not… and where the two instruments share common ground.

All details at www.gnipc.org

Tommykleen
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: UIlleann pipes for Highland Pipers

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Great idea. I hope the workshop is well-attended...
woodshampoo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: UIlleann pipes for Highland Pipers

Post by woodshampoo »

Hello all,
I went to this class last year in East Durham at the NorthEast Tionol with Skip. As a brand new uilleann piper having just received my pipes the day before it was well worth it to keep me on the right track so I don't just sound like a a GHB trying to play uilleann pipes.

All the best,
Erik van der leeuw