Rudall (possible) Scam

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Rudall (possible) Scam

Post by radcliff »

Hi Folks, just a SCAM alert for you all.
I've just won this ""Wonderful"" flute BUY IT NOW by a Zero feedback new user.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0591168632
no photos, but this description:
"A highly respected flute manufacturer in London was the firm of Rudall and Rose, founded in 1821. They later became Rudall, Rose & Carte, and then Rudall, Carte & Co., and were still producing flutes in 1950. They offered many options on simple system flutes. While they continued to provide 8-key flutes, they became promoters of the Boehm flute in the 1840's. The instrument below (c.1835) has a Bb foot with all four open-standing keys assigned to RH4. Rudall & Rose Patent Head, which was used on many of their best instruments after 1832. This head did not have a standard screw-cork with an indicator, but twisting the endcap caused both the tuning slide and the cork to move. The cork would move in (towards the embouchure) 1/4 mm for every mm the barrel joint extended from, or moved out of, the head proper. One must accept the judgement of R & R as to where the cork should be placed"

I immediatly recive an invoice for the total ammount,
and this email
"I hope {everythings will be fast}, I will be leaving for Georgia tomorrow afternoon.
Here is my paypal fsk1949@xxxx and that is my email address also. -fsk1"
trying to be as fast as possible, I ask for some photos...
and since I'm a lovely bast-hard, I've asked for :
in particular the head, blow hole and opposite side,
and rudall address main stamp, and then the barrell's slide,
and foot'keys close up...
and I've reviced two photos of R&C 7002 and the photo of a Patent head....
(well 7002 have no patent head!) WOW! Geniius!
what's will happend now?

hihihi
Last edited by radcliff on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: Rudall Scam

Post by radcliff »

ah! just forget to mention that he is presumed to be
FLETCHER FRANCESBOWMAN
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32216 US
that is the same person and email address of
FRANCES MAUDERER fsk1949@xxxxxx
that Brazenkaine alert as SCAMMER few days ago!

so seems that he is defnitly a fake one...
I will let you know.
Denny

Post by Denny »

'e's in Florida....that's only one state away
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

well, also I'm not in that hurry, he can send it even from georgia if he wants :-))))
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

ops, new email. (we can just laugh all togheter)

"I have a money back guarantee policy so that is not a problem. I will be shipping from Jacksonville, Florida. I am using my friends computer and won't be responding too quick. If you receive item and is not satisfied with any issue I will refund money back."

so I'm more trusting now... just no other photos exept that ones from no.7002 ... sigh...

(#7002 it's been sold few weeks ago on ebay, for 2.400 GBP ;-) and it does not match the provided descriprion at alll.)
new addiction:

"The condition of this flute is modestly used and otherwise excellent. The wood is as new. There are no cracks or damage. The thinned Cocus wood is beautiful, and in perfect condition. The oval embouchure is perfect. There is no damage at all to the beautiful mechanism made by Fred Handke, which shows only modest wear from careful usage. This instrument originally was built with an open G#, The flute was returned, then evidently refitted with a closed G#, split E mechanism. It seems likely that the D trill was added at the same time as the independent G#, since both tone holes are ebonite inserts, and both cups use slightly different pad washers than the others.

Anyway I am not home so I won't say much. I have instructed my wife to ship for me as it looks like we {and his friend} will be outta here very early."
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

more fun!

he add a new e.mail as THOMAS OAKES ( thomoakes2009@ xxxxx)
and he send me photos of a bohem rudall and Carte, and also a photo of
an 8 keys RR&C...

I'm still wondering to understand which flute he claim to sell!
I'll try to discover some more.. well, at least I'll try to discover just something!
hihihi

update:
he said that he HAVE a RR&C.
Last edited by radcliff on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

radcliffe wrote:more fun!

he add a new e.mail as THOMAS OAKES ( thomoakes2009@ xxxxx)
and he send me photos of a bohem rudall and Carte, and also a photo of
an 8 keys RR&C...

I'm still wondering to understand which flute he claim to sell!
I'll try to discover some more.. well, at least I'll try to discover just something!
hihihi
Wow, what a deal! (not)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Rudall (possible) Scam

Post by kkrell »

Whoever paid, I hope they did so via the eBay invoice, via PayPal, funded by credit card. No buyer protection otherwise.
Denny

Post by Denny »

radcliffe wrote:I've just won this ""Wonderful"" flute BUY IT NOW by a Zero feedback new user.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0591168632
no photos, but this description:
I don't think he's sending money....he's just collecting pictures
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

A few Moderator notes about this.

o The previous thread by Brazenkaine was removed at his request. But this does appear to be the same sort of solicitation by the same individual. The constant elements are the names, e-mail fsk*, and location in Jacksonville, Florida.

o The name Frances is a female name.

o I see no hard evidence yet of a scam, only irregularities. I modified the thread title accordingly.

o Questionable eBay offers should naturally be directed to the attention of eBay/PayPal for investigation and/or resolution.

o Any attempts to target C&F users specifically and directly with bogus offers of instruments will be dealt with appropriately.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Hi MTGuru,
unfortunatly this is a scam, since no authentic photos has been provided.
and also gave me a complete description of a Bohem R&C taken from antiqueflutes.com.
and worst than that he provided only photos of another R&C (7002) claiming it has a patent head.

stupid people all around....
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Seller's descriptions were ripped from:
http://www.oldflutes.com/english.htm
http://www.antiqueflutes.com/cgi-bin/ca ... i?snum=755

Absolutely no original text. Standard scam technique especially by a non-English speaker.
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

thank you M31, I really need of a good english course....(and I will found it!)

by the way, here is a new explanation from the scammer about why he cannot add new photos
after I recognized his previuos attempts as fake.

"Listen, I understand your apprehension but I have laready told you that I am not home and if I am not home how on earth do you expect me to do that? If my sincerity is not good enough then I do not know what to do. I told you I would be travelling. I have stated a guarantee that if the item is not what you want I will return your money and yet we still go on in circles. there is nothing I can do."

it's a great way of trying to sell nothing....
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Again, only irregularities, but a preponderance of irregularities. This might be a good case for escrow.

Radcliffe, I am allowing you considerable leeway here, including posting 3rd party e-mail addresses and 3rd party e-mail, both contrary to Chiffboard privacy guidelines.

If there is a verifiably dishonest seller, alerting the Chiffboard community here with proof or with details that suggest a problem is fine. Repeating the word "scam" without concrete proof is not fine.

Bidding on an eBay item with no intention of paying for it, for whatever reason, is a different matter which I'm not sure you really want to publicize here. It also personalizes the transaction as a dispute between buyer and seller. And personal disputes are not a topic for public Chiffboard discussion.

If you decide to withhold payment because the item was misrepresented or non-existent, that's a matter between you, the seller, eBay, and legal authorities to resolve.

Of course, any factual reporting of your experience, for the benefit of Chiffboard readers, is more than welcome.

The thread remains open for now.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

MTGuru wrote:If there is a verifiably dishonest seller, alerting the Chiffboard community here with proof or with details that suggest a problem is fine. Repeating the word "scam" without concrete proof is not fine.
I've seen a number bogus auctions over the years (not just flute ones) where pictures and/or descriptions were recycled from an earlier auction or a Web site. When eBay is alerted of these, they yank 'em fast even if the seller is well established (potential hijacked account). On one occasion, even one of my photos for a CD-writer had been duplicated for a competing auction.

Who can really demonstrate 'verifiably dishonest', 'proof', or 'concrete' in the C&F court of law? We have a sticky warning against 'cheap eBay flutes', based on what? I don't agree with any eBay vigilantism but see no problem with scam alerts if all the earmarks are there, and they are in this case.