Whistle with a Sax mouthpiece?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Boog
antispam: No

Whistle with a Sax mouthpiece?

Post by Boog »

Hi folks:

I saw this instrument on the internet about a year ago. It looked like a low whistle (diameter) but uses a Sax mouthpiece. Just wondering if anyone here has a link to this instrument.

Cheers,
Boog
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle with a Sax mouthpiece?

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Boog

Post by Boog »

"xaphoon" ... that's it! Thanks MTGuru!
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

Be aware that if you're like I was :) and think that it's similar to the whistle, no - it has different fingerings and, as a closed cylidrical pipe, overblows at the twelfth.
My real name's Roman
Boog

Post by Boog »

Elvellon wrote:Be aware that if you're like I was :) and think that it's similar to the whistle, no - it has different fingerings and, as a closed cylidrical pipe, overblows at the twelfth.
Hi Elvellon:
How did you find it. Is it well made.

Cheers,
Boog
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

I found it while being interested in folk reed instuments with whistle fingerings. Found out it's not as easy as fitting a different mouthpiece.

As for their quality, I really don't know.
My real name's Roman
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

They're decent. I wouldn't really recommend them for those who don't play sax or clarinet. The embouchure required is just too finicky. They are capable of some pretty astounding sounds, from 'good alto sax' to 'high bass clarinet' to 'duck going through a meatgrinder feet first'.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Boog

Post by Boog »

Chiffed wrote:They're decent. I wouldn't really recommend them for those who don't play sax or clarinet. The embouchure required is just too finicky. They are capable of some pretty astounding sounds, from 'good alto sax' to 'high bass clarinet' to 'duck going through a meatgrinder feet first'.
'duck going through a meatgrinder feet first'.

LOL :D

Thanks Chiffed!
WD-40
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WD-40 »

I had a xaphoon once. After struggling with it for about a year, I've sold it - the embouchure is indeed something I couldn't master with my typical amount of practice of 1 hour per week... I kept floating significantly around the right tuning all the time, and the amount of air required was too much for me. The fingering is also far from being intuitive. But the tone itself is brilliant, make no mistake.

After that I've found the whistle - and it's sooo much easier to learn and play! :love:
Boog

Post by Boog »

WD-40 wrote:I had a xaphoon once. After struggling with it for about a year, I've sold it - the embouchure is indeed something I couldn't master with my typical amount of practice of 1 hour per week... I kept floating significantly around the right tuning all the time, and the amount of air required was too much for me. The fingering is also far from being intuitive. But the tone itself is brilliant, make no mistake.

After that I've found the whistle - and it's sooo much easier to learn and play! :love:
Thanks for the comment WD40. I decided to get one. I'll put up a video when it arrives :)

Boog
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I actually put a clarinet mouthpiece and barrel on a Susato low F whistle. I cut a thumbhole so that I could get a whole octave.

It actually sounds pretty cool, though of course it's limited to that one octave.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

We have one of these "whistle hornpipes" with whistle fingering in Low D for a few years. I find it pretty loud and very similar sounding to a clarinet or such sounding instruments and quite a low, bassy voice.

I am sure you will have fun with it in any case :-)

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)