Help with Roisin Dubh

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmryan
antispam: No

Help with Roisin Dubh

Post by jmryan »

I first heard this played years ago by one of the Dubliners on the mandolin and I taught it was fantastic. I have heard it played by various musicians on the tin whistle. I downloaded a copy of this tune from only God knows where. I am a relative newcomer to the whistle after playing the bagpipes in Chicago for 30 years. I tried learning it by ear a couple of days ago and the only whistle that seems to work with this version is my Susato Bflat. It seems to be in the key of Eflat major. I have only the first part down but it gave me pleasure because I am not good at learning by ear. Also who is it playing this? I hope some of the experts can help me because I am not good also at determining keys. I have uploaded the Mp3 to the following URL.
http://www.box.net/shared/a2b0b11qpj
Any help would be appreciated on the musician and the keys, thanks John M Ryan
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Help with Roisin Dubh

Post by hoopy mike »

Folk312
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Folk312 »

There are several recordings of the tune on this website:

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/slowairs.html

The site mentions the whistle it was played on.

I have e-mailed you the sheet music version I have.

Nice tune by the way.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Lovely tune. Must learn it......

Does this clip help you identify?. Apologies if I am wrong. No, I take that back. The YouTube one is worth listening to as well. :D

The Session has a version notated as a hornpipe. Drat. Maybe I can disentangle it.....
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
jmryan

Post by jmryan »

Dr. Phill,
Thank you, Thank you. You hit the hammer on the bingo nail.
I don't remember when I downloaded it but that is the one I
was looking for. And it looks like Matt Cunningham is playing
it on a Generation Bflat whistle. Which I was doing. Also the tune ends
on an Eflat which I think should be the key if I am not mistaken.
Thanks again. John Ryan, Salamanca, Spain
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

A pleasure to help. And thanks to you for drawing my attention to a lovely tune.

And the ABC on the Session is about right (get rid of the R:Hornpipe, add Q:40). Oh and the tune is repeated with a variation.
I have a slightly different version of the ABC taken from O'Canainn's book. (slightly different rhythm using triplets instead of those notes with three 'bars' on them). But by that time, I am going by ear.

Matt Cunningham also manages to stuff far more notes into the tune than either version that I have can hold....

Oddly enough, the versions I have are both in [key/mode with two flats] and end on D. Hmmmm
Phill

MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The Matt Cunningham clip is "high setting" in GMaj fingering. On the Bb whistle, that gives a concert key of Eb.

The Session's setting is "low setting" in DMaj fingering. To match the clip (approximately), you could play it on an Eb whistle. Or transpose the dots to GMaj on a Bb whistle.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks MTGuru.

I thought it would be something like that, but I wasn't going to risk parading my ignorance again. :D
Phill

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If you want to learn by ear on the D whistle Joanie Madden's 'Songs of the Irish Whistle' has it. I've been working on that version for a while
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Paddy Keenan recorded a wonderful version in the higher, G, key, on

Doublin'
Paddy Glackin & Paddy Keenan
Tara 2007

I learned it from a Mick O Brien CD, in D, on

The Ancient Voice of Ireland

Which is a wonderful CD consisting only of airs.

I also learned May Morning Dew and Lagan Love from Mick's playing.

He plays pipes in D, C, and B on that album so you have to be careful.

To me, these airs are best learnt by ear. It takes me quite a while to get the tune internalised, but when it is, then I can be more free with the timing and specific notes etc. The beauty of these airs is to play around with them so that you don't play them the same way twice.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Useful sources, thanks PanCelticPiper, 'The Ancient Voice of Ireland' is on my Amazon wish list, ready for my birthday.

I too find I learn a lot by ear, but only after I have got the basic notes from some written source. This tune is a good example - I would have tried to play along on a D whistle, not found it possible, and then would have given up. but having the dots to hand, I could learn the tune (in D) and get the phrasing by listening.

Since I only have D whistles and am not good at pitches I would never have guessed the key. Now I have been told, however, I have the Audacity to drop the pitch of the recording and I can play along.
Phill

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

DrPhill wrote:Useful sources, thanks PanCelticPiper, 'The Ancient Voice of Ireland' is on my Amazon wish list, ready for my birthday.

I too find I learn a lot by ear, but only after I have got the basic notes from some written source. This tune is a good example - I would have tried to play along on a D whistle, not found it possible, and then would have given up. but having the dots to hand, I could learn the tune (in D) and get the phrasing by listening.

Since I only have D whistles and am not good at pitches I would never have guessed the key. Now I have been told, however, I have the Audacity to drop the pitch of the recording and I can play along.

You can find the dots and listen to it here in the key of D. If you find a whistle in a different key just use the same D fingering sequence and the whistle will play it in that key.
http://www.tinwhistler.com/tunes.aspx
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Mick Woodruff also has a nice version on his site. Including the sheet music.

http://micksvirtualwhistle.net/whistle/index.html
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."