Geek Oracle: lost rt mouseclick in explorer. How do I fix?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Geek Oracle: lost rt mouseclick in explorer. How do I fix?

Post by s1m0n »

I just had an attempt to install Adobe CS4 suite that froze my computer. I restarted, and ran system restoe to roll back the changes, but explorer is still broken. If I try to right click when in windows explorer, I get an error saying that anh Adobe .dll can't be found, and explorer immediately closes. The missing .dll is:

../program files/common files/Adobe/Adobe Version Cue CS4/client/4.0.11/VersionCue.dll

Anyone have a clue how to repair this?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Geek Oracle: lost rt mouseclick in explorer. How do I fix?

Post by chris_coreline »

http://www.getfirefox.com

sorry, couldent resist! :wink:
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

He said "WINDOWS" Explorer, not INTERNET Explorer. Adobe has apparently still managed to install an option into the right-click context menu for the Desktop, not pulled during the Restore operation. I'm still back at CS2, and didn't install Version Cue, since it wouldn't be helpful for me.

Perhaps find out why your original install didn't succeed, and attempt to complete it this time? That should put the .DLL in place.

There is some reference to this problem on an Adobe discussion forum, so read it and see if there's some help for you there. Read the whole thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/313930

Also, Google points to some sites trying to deal with problems with the same .DLL:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=VersionCue.dll
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:He said "WINDOWS" Explorer, not INTERNET Explorer.
Indeed I did; thanks for defending my honour!

And thanks for the steer to the Adobe forum - a link posted in one of the replies leads me here, which documents the issue and provides solution suggestions. I'll have a better look at it in the morning.

As for why the install crashed, here's what they say:
When you try to install updates to Adobe Creative Suite 4 or a CS4 point product, the installation stops and you receive the Microsoft Windows error "Adobe Setup has stopped working; Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...."

The only option is to cancel the installation; Windows is unable to find a solution.

The error recurs for each update you chose to download and install.

You may also receive the error "Installation Incomplete; [update name]: Failed to install. The installation process has encountered a problem. Please choose from the following options: Cancel the current update and continue installing the remaining updates. OR Stop installing and continue later: OK."

Attempts to install the updates can also fail due to an unexpected state of the affected files from the previous failure. In this case, the Adobe Installer reports that it could not install the selected update components.

Functionality associated with the update might also be impacted. For example, after a failed installation of the Adobe Drive and Services update v1.0.1, you may experience the following issues:
When you attempt to open, create new, or save a file using Photoshop CS4 you encounter the following or similar error:
"Photoshop.exe - Fatal application exit - The specified module could not be found: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\VersionCue.dll."

When you right-click a menu in Windows Explorer in Windows Vista, you encounter the following or similar error:
"Explorer.exe - The specified module could not be found: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\VersionCue.dll."
I also clicked past a warning on the install that said I need something from sp3 and something from windows 7 to have full functionality of CS4. I decided that I'd run the install, and see what won't work. I know the p'shop SC4 works on my system as is, because it's doing just that already. There's a lot of stuff in CS4 that I'll never use, and if that's what breaks, I'm on with that.

PS: Chris, I've been running Opera since about release 4.0 or 5.0.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

This is just plain weird. My right click won't work either, hasn't for about a week. I don't recall installing anything new and just figured the mouse had croaked. I used a different mouse today and it still doesn't work. I suppose I should start reading this adobe stuff.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

cowtime wrote:This is just plain weird. My right click won't work either, hasn't for about a week. I don't recall installing anything new and just figured the mouse had croaked. I used a different mouse today and it still doesn't work. I suppose I should start reading this adobe stuff.
My right click physically works, it's just that in one piece of software, what the computer tries to do when it gets a click is to call a procedure that doesn't exist, and this causes a crash. If that's not what's happening, then the adobe info won't help.

The first 9 out of 10 mouse issues are usually physical - fluff or gunk in the trackwheels, fluff or a hair distracting the laser receiver, or a worn out spring or de-clicked clicked button. Getting a small phillips ( + ) screwdriver and unscrewing one or two screws underneath allows you to take the body apart and clean out whatever's wrong. If you can't see a screw head, it's hidden under a stick-on rubber bumper or a label.

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Thanks simon, I'll try that. It physically seems like it's working, but you never know.
I have been doing a bit of reading and found that the new firefox may be the culprit, or rather some plug-ins. I may have to try to get rid of the plug ins if I can figure out how. But first- the physical cleaning like you suggest.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tools/Add ons
the Extensions tab

not that I'm having any issues with any of mine :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Sometimes pounding the mouse on the table a couple times help (like the way Krushev did with his shoe). :lol:
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D