Ruminating on my Byrne and Gallagher flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ruminating on my Byrne and Gallagher flutes

Post by Hoovorff »

Hmmmm. I've decided that of all the flutes I've tried, I simply love the focused, sweet, clear, clarion (there's a few adjectives) tone of my medium-holed Byrne keyless and my Gallagher 6-key Rudall flutes. The Byrne took me quite some time to get the the true "sweet spot" to sound in tune on the low D and low F#. But, after playing a Polak traverso with an even smaller embouchure hole, the Byrne became easier and in tune. I feel I've gotten to know my Gallagher much better over the last few years, too. It's very similar, I feel, to the Byrne in its tone and responsiveness, but was easier for me to play in tune from the get-go.

I guess my conclusion is that I'm very happy with these flutes after trying quite a few and always looking for the "perfect" flute. The longer you play one (or two!) flutes, the better.
So, what are your thoughts on your favorite flutes?
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Ruminating on my Byrne and Gallagher flutes

Post by plunk111 »

Is that a John Gallagher (of Elkins, WV)? I've been to his shop a couple of times and chatted with him a lot... Great guy and superb flutes - just wish I could afford one!

My current love is an antique Wm Hall and Son - small holes and sounds gorgeous (well, as gorgeous as I can make it!).
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Byrne is lovely. I agree with the adjectives.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I've gone through a lot of flutes, and have covered basically every major maker in my quest for the perfect flute. Ultimately it is the player that decides what they like best. With that said, the best flute I have ever played, and luckily own is a John Gallagher dogwood, 8 key Pratten. I would not part with it for the world, it's perfect. It has two headjoints, both fully lined, the difference is that one has a deeper chimney height than the other. I am most excited about the fact I can get "my sound" on it, and the tuning and keywork is perfect.
I also play a boxwood Rudall original, but for completely different reasons. It's out of tune(not horribly though, just requires a bit of venting), quiet, but it's very charming, and the tone is very magical. I find it's nice to play both flutes, it makes my embouchure stronger, and more flexible. In the case of both flutes, a good headjoint makes all the difference.
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

For a small holed flute, I agree, if a flute can be perfect, Gallagher's Rudall is sweet.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:I also play a boxwood Rudall original, but for completely different reasons. It's out of tune(not horribly though, just requires a bit of venting)...
Grrrr! Ted, you should know better! A flute which was designed to be played with vented fingerings is NOT "out of tune" if it needs to be played with said fingerings!!!!! It will be "out of tune" when played without them........yes, 'cos that wasn't how it was built to be played. Excuse the rant, but we bump into this nonsense/misapprehension all the time, even from the likes of Terry McGee. Sure, these antique flutes may still have tuning discrepancies (in other aspects) even when played with the design-expected fingerings, but having flat F#s and C#s and Es when the appropriate keys aren't vented doesn't mean they are "out of tune" on those notes, but that you have to play them correctly to be in tune. If one wishes to play a flute with straight-off, unvented whistle fingerings, get a flute designed for that. The antique 8-keyers are not so designed. Don't blame them for that!

Ted, I know you understand that and my rant was triggered by rather than aimed at you personally, but your choice of words was one that leads to perpetuation of the misunderstanding - and many readers of this forum with little (opportunity for) experience of good antique flutes really don't need to acquire it!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

good thing ya don't want to be a magician with that kind of attitude :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Careful, Jem, you're getting flecks of foam on your Anorak...

R
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Careful, Jem, you're getting flecks of foam on your Anorak...
R
Flecks? Floods! :tantrum: :oops: :lol:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Have you ate them, then?
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

jemtheflute wrote: Grrrr! Ted, you should know better! A flute which was designed to be played with vented fingerings is NOT "out of tune" if it needs to be played with said fingerings!!!!! It will be "out of tune" when played without them........yes, 'cos that wasn't how it was built to be played. Excuse the rant, but we bump into this nonsense/misapprehension all the time, even from the likes of Terry McGee. Sure, these antique flutes may still have tuning discrepancies (in other aspects) even when played with the design-expected fingerings, but having flat F#s and C#s and Es when the appropriate keys aren't vented doesn't mean they are "out of tune" on those notes, but that you have to play them correctly to be in tune. If one wishes to play a flute with straight-off, unvented whistle fingerings, get a flute designed for that. The antique 8-keyers are not so designed. Don't blame them for that!
I think, to be able to run this argument, you need to be able to prove beyond question that the old flutes were intended to be played with what we call "vented fingerings". Just showing that it helps them isn't enough - it doesn't prove that they were the design goal. I don't think anyone has so far presented the full analysis of the old fingering charts and writings available to us that would be needed to clarify that claim.

Certainly some period writers have noted that opening additional keys can help with flat notes when particularly exposed (eg in long notes), but they still show and advocate the simpler fingerings for normal use. When they go on to show better alternatives, they often have surprises. Eg, we all know that C# tends flat when played ooo ooo, and can be assisted by playing o,oo ooo (where the comma implies opening the c key). But a more popular improved C# was oxx xxx xo - ie play the harmonic of low C#.

Interestingly, when Pratten started including a thumb C key on his flutes, his fingering chart showed its use to sharpen C#. It seems that the R1 c-key might have been previously considered too clumsy to routinely assist c#, but the new-fangled thumb key wasn't.

We can be sure from the old charts that Eb was generally to be left open, but that is more a physical convenience thing, rather than an exercise in improved venting. Unnecessarily lifting and lowering R4 is not good for flute stability, so leave it down whenever possible. It doesn't significantly affect most notes, but does of course have a big impact on the adjacent undersized and poorly located E. Yet, you find flutes where E tends unacceptably sharp in one or both octaves if you open Eb.

So, until proven otherwise, I'll continue to expect flutes to try their best to fit in with our traditional expectations on c# and f#. I am happy to be flexible on E, assuming the right fingering is the one that produces the best result.

Terry
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Well said Terry, you just saved me a lot of typing.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I like my Aebi Pratten a lot. It's a strong flute with strong tone. Demanding, but rewarding as well. Has a certain 'oomph' to it not every Pratten has to offer...

I now have a keyless Rudall as well that I like big time, I actually use the headjoint on my Pratten at the moment. Sound is still big, but contains a lot more harmonics, even on the Pratten body. And the 'e' is great and stable. Lovely thing...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

With due respect to Terry, who I well know knows far more about this than I do, I have never quite bought that particular argument. Setting aside the aspects of mid-C19th (English) flute design that were to do with providing a wide tuning range and limiting consideration to those flutes where any lingering attempts to preserve the old forked F natural fingering had been effectively abandoned, I think makers like R&R's craftsmen, Prowse and a good many others were quite capable of making flutes whose open C# and even more so F# didn't need venting, just as those modern makers who think similarly to Terry have done/tried to do, but they did not, for the most part, Why not?

Most of the period charts I have seen/treatises I have read do specify venting for those particular notes, though I'm sure Terry has seen more and evaluated them more assiduously than I have. Empirically, most of these flutes do play those notes in tune with the keys vented. I quite accept it doesn't fit in with ITM common practice, but I still think it is perverse to insist those notes are "out of tune" if you won't vent them. Likewise, to insist on evaluating period flutes' intonation while ignoring the (to my mind at least) clearly enough expected "standard" fingerings which demonstrably bring said notes very close into tune on most instruments seems strange to me (yes, I understand Terry's arguments for doing so, but disagree).

I do accept entirely what Terry wrote about the Eb key, however.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums