Tully Silver "D" For Sale

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Tully Silver "D" For Sale

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Folks:

I have not been here for a while. I'm in the process of trimming my collection and hope it is OK to link to an auction. In addition to this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-Silver-Tul ... 19b8abb998

I also plan on selling my Fred Rose, African Blackwood "D" with (I think) gold plated fittings.

These whistles are just too fine not to be played. Alternatively, they are too fine to be played by me. When it's time to throw a few "D" workhorses into the old kit bag, these guys just get left behind.

Be Well,

Tom Dowling
jim stone

Re: Tully Silver "D" For Sale

Post by jim stone »

hi Tom, hope all is going well. Question--how loud is the tully whistle? can you compare it to a Sindt? Best wishes, Jim
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Sure would be nice to be able to find a sound clip somewhere! I couldn't find anything on the 'net, except a lot of broken links. Tully's website looks real nice, but he's on hiatus and doesn't have anything active...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I will attempt to record something and put it someplace accessible within the next 48 hours. It is quite likely that whatever I record will not necessarily present the instrument in the most favorable light.

Likewise with the Fred Rose that I contemplate posting in about a week. Again, these are fine whistles.

It's great to be back, and I hope to veer off into other topics shortly. It is a busy time for me and I suspect I am not alone in that regard.
Be Well,

Tom D.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I used to have a Tully and it was pretty quiet. I think he made some louder models after I got mine though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

For sure, this whistle is not shy. It is solid in the low octave and wanting some minding on the high end of the high octave. The sound is a tad brighter than, for example, a wide bore or narrow bore Michael Burke Black Tip Brass-D. Anyway, I am experiencing 'potential seller's remorse' right now. I took the whistle out in hopes of recording a snippet or two, which I hope to post somewhere by Friday evening. I forgot how much I like it, though, as I have indicated above, it wants some minding on the high end of the high octave. It is not skittish and does not break up, it is just 'bright.'

I will not be unhappy if the somewhat high reserve is not met.

Tom D.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Tom!

Best wishes,
Jerry
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Jerry:

Wow, it is like Old Home Week (What IS Old Home Week, by the way?). I have been away from C & F for too long. I hope and trust that you and yours are well and that you are still cranking out those fine whistles.

Be Well,

Tom D.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

All of the above, thanks.

And you? (Taken any pictures lately?)

Best wishes,
Jerry
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Hi Tom; glad you're back. Have a happy and healthy new year.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Philo:

Exceedingly good to hear from you. Let us shoot for a get together prior to Ground Hog's Day, if not sooner.

Be Well,

Tom D.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

That's a bit different than the Tully I sold a while ago.

As I recall, the voice is quite focused, a bit like a narrow bore Aluminum Burke D. But brighter. Also there was a soft chiff and breathiness that gave it a nice character. If Erik aimed for the same voice character in all his whistles - then the one you're selling should have a lovely voice.

I also had seller's remorse when I dropped mine in the mail. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Daniel:

Well, the boxes are different. Mine has the same hollow fipple pin-hole design. Your decription of the whistle is quite accurate, including the chiff.
I have not had time to record anything on it except a very simple version of the Parting Glass. It is not worth posting anywhere, but if anyone wants an MP3 of it, let me know by PM or e-mail. I haven't played Celtic/Irish stuff for about a year and a half.

Tom D.
tomdowl@aol.com