Bleazey Keyless as a session Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Bleazey Keyless as a session Flute?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I've heard a lot of favorable comments on the Bleazey RR style Flutes( with small holes) as a nice mellow sounding Instrument
Is anyone using one for a session Flute?.....Now I know its not going to be as loud as a medium or large hole Instrument, but for someone with decent size lungs does the Bleazey cut through for you?
Ben Shaffer
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Bleazey Keyless as a session Flute?

Post by Jayhawk »

I played my friend Lee's boxwood Bleazey at a small session...it was loud enough, IMHO, to play at a normal sized session. Volume is very much all about the player...although larger holed flutes will, as you know, generally be louder.

I really liked Lee's flute. If you're chops are up to it, I think it would do fine at a session. You can get a nice, loud and reedy tone from it. I do know I played it louder and reedier than another friend who played on it, though, so some of it was me.

Eric
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Bleazey Keyless as a session Flute?

Post by chas »

The Bleazey is not by any means a quiet flute. For my lip, it especially shines in the lower octave; I can push it harder than most other flutes I've played.

If course, raw volume doesn't necessarily lead to cutting through. I can't get the edge from it that I can get from, say, an Olwell, so it probably doesn't carry the way that more traditional Irish flutes do. I would think that, outside of a flute-heavy session, it would carry just fine.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.