Five Flutes for Sale -(OK, 2 Flutes, a Fife and 2 Piccolos)-

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Five Flutes for Sale -(OK, 2 Flutes, a Fife and 2 Piccolos)-

Post by Sillydill »

Offered for adoption are the following 5 flutes:

As Pictured, Top to Bottom:

Tipple C# with thumb-hole, speckled bore and Ott-Tipple-Fijaro Wedge (It’s a wedge cut from a piece for synthetic cork). The C# is the same as a Baroque D at A=415 Hz. $50 postage included within U.S.

Chris McNeilly Pratten (Matt Molloy model), what can I say – “It’s the Best Pratten I’ve ever played!” It has a sweet high range and booming low, its air consumption is modest, but it plays best when pushed. The only flaw would be a repaired crack in the barrel (nearly invisible and stable). Here’s a link to this flute playing the Congress Reel: http://www.box.net/shared/vtykhq6ty2 I’ld like $525 for this excellent flute, postage and insurance included within the U.S.

John McDonagh Regimental Model 7-hole fife, this is an improved model fife made about 25 years ago by Wilson Woods. It is in excellent shape with a glass smooth bore. The 7th. Hole is for the RH pinky Eb (or actually B). This fife has a very sweet tone and a robust bottom register, making it ideal for Irish tunes, like Danny Boy (with the Eb hole). I’ld like $180 postage included within the U.S.

New model Sweetheart WD Pro-Fife (piccolo) in high D, made of Delrin. This is an excellent playing piccolo with great intonation and power. The bore is a bit smaller than the old Sweet Pro-Fifes and the tone much sweeter and the finger spacing is a bit more luxurious (my fat fingers were crammed together on the old Pro-Fifes). I’ve sanctified this piccolo (played the heck out of it), but it is still as new. I’ld like $100 postage included with the U.S.

Old Sweetheart Piccolo in Eb made of maple, has a thumbhole on the back. The Sweet’s haven’t made these in years (such a pity). It is Sweet by name and tone. This even earned the much coveted “Oh That’s Nice! What are you playing?” from the Mrs. I like this piccolo so much I bought two! I filled in the thumb-hole on mine and rewrapped the tennon with thread. This was my spare and is as NEW (never used). I’ld like $50 postage included within the U.S.

Trades will be considered.

Please respond or make inquiries via PM or Email.

Thank you, for your consideration.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
pmcallis

Re: Five Flutes for Sale -(OK, 2 Flutes, a Fife and 2 Piccolos)-

Post by pmcallis »

...and lovely playing on the McNeilly flute. Will you identify the player, Jordan, or keep us in suspense??
P.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey P.

I wish it were me! :D

But Sadly, I don't even play that well in my dreams! :cry:

Sylvain Laberge of Quebec with his group Bonhomme Setter from their CD Leap of Faith. I bought this flute from him a few years back.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That's some nice playing on that pratten...good price for a wonderful sounding flute!

I'd jump at that Sweet piccolo except my wife is adamant that there should only be one piccolo per house (and personally I think she would prefer that one to be at someone else's house).

Eric
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

The McNeilly Pratten has found a home with a few alternates available if the first doesn't work out. (Thank You to all who inquired!)

The Tipple, fife and piccolos are still available. Feel free to make offers and trades. :D Worst I can do is say no!

The Tipple has a manageable finger stretch due to the ergo/offset holes. I can comfortably play it even with my short squat fingers.

The McDonagh fife has the best tone of any fife I've ever tried (all the way down to bottom D actually Bb). But I can't play it with the clarity of a Healy fife.

The Sweetheart WD piccolo has a sweeter tone than my Healy piccolo, but once again I like the clarity of the Healy.

Thanks Again!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Sillydill wrote: The Tipple has a manageable finger stretch due to the ergo/offset holes. I can comfortably play it even with my short squat fingers.
The Tipple Db/C# flute must be one that I made for the Disney musical "Tarzan". I made several seven-flute sets of flutes in different keys for the NYC show, and all of the larger flutes had thumb holes. I also sold three sets of flutes directly to Disney for the same production in Holland.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Doug,

This would be a Broadway Tipple as opposed to the Dutch Tipples. :D

Nice work Doug! :thumbsup:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am really surprised that the John McDonagh fife hasn't sold. I have never played one, but the 11 hole version is what the Old Guard use to play before switching to Healy's fifes, I think that qualifies it as a professional instrument. Cooperman bought out the rights to the fife, and I wonder how the fit and finish compare, even so, Cooperman does not make a 7 hole version. If I recall correctly, the McDonagh fife has a double tapper (reversing and expanding near the tail end) to help bring the octaves in tune and is built like a small flute, not like a cylindrical narrow bore American style "fife". It should be really fun to play.

I'll add that I have purchased instruments from Sillydill in the past, and he is a great person to work with.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

The McDonagh fife and little Sweetheart Eb piccolo have been adopted. :)

Woods all gone, only the plastic remains.

LIMBO TIME!
:D

How about $40 for the C# Tipple (priority mail within U.S.)
and $85 for the Sweetheart WD fife in D.

I'm just not playing these much anymore. :(
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Darn. McDonagh gone.
If only I checked here sooner. :(
I have a 6- and an 11- McD already. Woulda loved the 7- to complete the collection.
My 11- is actually a former OG fife. Number 30. LOVE that one.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Sorry Fyffer! :-?

This McDonagh fife was made by Wilson Woods (Regimental Model @ ~1985). Yours must be the older model made by Roy Seaman (1950-70's)?

And NO! the 11 holed model was not for people with extra digits, it had a double hole for the F/F# like many recorders. :D

FINAL LIMBO CALL!

I'll go $75 for the Sweet WD and $35 for the Tipple, U.S. postage included on both. :)
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Sillydill wrote:Sorry Fyffer! :-?

This McDonagh fife was made by Wilson Woods (Regimental Model @ ~1985). Yours must be the older model made by Roy Seaman (1950-70's)?

And NO! the 11 holed model was not for people with extra digits, it had a double hole for the F/F# like many recorders. :D

FINAL LIMBO CALL!

I'll go $75 for the Sweet WD and $35 for the Tipple, U.S. postage included on both. :)
I was waiting for someone to ask about where the extra finger comes from.
And yes, it's a Seaman. Wish I had a good picture to put up to gloat ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|