Low G advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Taminka

Low G advice

Post by Taminka »

Hi fellow whistlers,
Have been playing high D and C whistles for a few years and recently went lower with a Burke composite A (chosen partly because of the rave Doc Jones gave them) I love this whistle and can manage to play it with normal grip.

Now I am after a low G - to get a nice low sound with a friend who often plays in C. I tried to search for advice on low Gs but it's not easy when the search won't recognise "G."

So any advice please - if I go for a Burke, which material do people prefer for the G?
Also any other brands you'd suggest? It would be nice to spend a little less than the Burke, but will be interested to hear what folks think. I'm also hoping to avoid pipers grip if possible.

Thanks,
Taminka
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low G advice

Post by A-Musing »

Taminka...
Hello. The smallest whistle I play is a Low F, so can't give advice on a G.

When you're in the mood, throw caution to the wind and come to grips with the piper.
You can swim in deeper water...down in the mellow zone.

Good luck.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I have a Dixon G and have played a friend's Overton G

You can finger them both with either pipers grip or a pad grip, and I don't think there is gonna be any significant difference between one make and another in terms of finger spread etc....a low D or C is a bit different, but a G is much smaller, more compact.
So unless u really have small hands, I don't think there'd be a problem.

Best idea would be to try someone else's before buying, of course ;-)

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

One of the nice things about Burke whistles is that they all exhibit similar playing characteristics from key to key. So if you like the Burke composite low A, I'd say get another Burke. I like Burke whistles. I use them for key coverage, so I have a couple dozen in different keys and materials. I play a Burke low G in aluminum and it is one of my most used and favorite whistles. If you like the feel and sound of the low A composite Burke get a low G composite. The composite Burkes have a nice mellow sound. The brass or aluminum models will sound a little brighter. The aluminum is a tad heavier than the composite, the brass will be more stout than the aluminum. Just pick your favorite color - black, silver or gold.

I'd also suggest that you don't fear the piper's grip. Low A or low G are about where folks start to see the need for the piper's grip. It's a handy skill to learn. It took me about two weeks to be able to play dance tunes using the piper's grip once I started and while your experience may be different, it is still worth spending the time and effort. If you stay with the whistle it will make all the low keys immediately available to you.

I've owned several other low G's and liked the Dixon, Susato and Overton. I really like my Water Weasel low G as well but they aren't easily available these days. Copeland and O'Riordan low G's are special and among the best whistles I have played but again not readily available.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Nobody does low G's like Mack Hoover. I say this with complete confidence, despite the fact that his is the only low G I own. :P But it's wonderful, probably my very favorite whistle. Ask Mack to make you a ski pole G. Trust me on this.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

I have a beautiful brass Burke low G, which I love. Gorgeous tone, good looking, solid.... I use pipers' grip, but might have been able to reach without it, except that it was automatic having played low Ds.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

You might want to try making your own using Guido Gonzata's instructions:

http://guido.gonzato.googlepages.com/wh ... #Favourite

He even tells you how to voice it to play the way you want.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have aluminum Burkes in A, G, and F and they all play great. As was said above, a great thing about the various sizes of Burkes is the shared playing characteristics so that at a gig I can just grab one and not have to remember what quirks it has.

I like the bigger Susatos and play them for Low E, Eb, and C but in that F G A range I much prefer the Burkes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Taminka

Post by Taminka »

Thanks for all the advice given so far. I'm leaning towards a brass Burke, but will check out the other suggestions before deciding.
I don't think I'll try making my own at this stage - too many arts and crafts happening already without adding another. I need all the playing practice time I can get.

Taminka
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I have an Overton Low G. It's a fantastic whistle. I also have a Chieftain Low G, also good. I've never tried a Burke Low G, but I have a Burke Low A in Brass. That has a quality that really hits the target.

I would suggest looking at a Burke Low G in Brass, or an Overton. These two whistles have completely different sounds, and are both real keepers.