Newbie struggling with Oak D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi all! Ok, Here's my first newbie question. Are Oak whistles supposed to be incredibly hard to play? I played the alto sax years ago and figured I'd pick up a whistle and give her a try. I've been playing for a few weeks now and anytime I get even NEAR a low D my Oak squaks like a stuck pig. The whistle is so sensitive I have to practically breathe a block away from this whistle in order to hit the low notes. Are there any other whistles that are easier for the beginner or am I being impatient?

-Dave
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Isilwen »

If it's any consolation, I hear many beginners and even intermediate players say that Oaks are difficult to start with.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

To a certain extent, you're going to need to work on breath-control issues with any whistle. I can just about guarantee that any D whistle is going to seem ultra-sensitive after a saxaphone!

In addition to working on breath control, you'll want to check your finger placement. If you're used to valves, making sure the tone holes are properly covered can be a bit more challenging than it seems.

There are whistles that are more sensitive than others...my O Briain "improved" jumps to the second octave if I just THINK about playing higher (which I like, but which would have been frustrating when I first started to play). If you keep having this problem, and you're sure you have the tone holes properly covered, you might want to try a Generation or a Feadog (or even a Clarke, if you like the sound) for now, and go back to your Oak when you're a bit more comfortable with the whistle in general).

Redwolf
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I found the Sweetone much easier to start with. The Oak is a little demanding with the very low and very high notes. You will probably want to come back to it later.
Mike Burns
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm a upper beginner and I find the Oak to be a little tricky. In fact, if you look in Dale's Low End Whistle page, he is not enthusiastic..

I have the breath down, which isn't too bad, but I find the fingering tricky, in that the slightest leak causes a sqwawk. Note bending and legato playing is harder. My Sausato is really easy in comparison.

Is yours a new Oak? Did your lips get numb? If so, look elsewhere on page 1 or 2 for Cure for Lip Numbing Oak thread.

John Sharp
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Oh... I almost forgot to say; yes, after playing sax a whistle will seem incredibly sensitive. (I played Alto Sax for 6 years; a Feadog was tricky at first until you get used to the air req's...)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
MkN

Post by MkN »

I started with a Oak and had problems also. There was something wrong with mine. It was always clogged. I got a Susato which plays alot easier.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My first whistle was an Oak. It's a miracle that I stuck with the whistle.

Jessie
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Wow! Talk about a quick response! Thanks to all who took the time to answer. I hopped over to whistleshop.com and ordered a Sweetone and a Feadog. I figure one or the other will suit me fine. This has got to be one of the friendliest boards on the net. You folks remind me of my ukulele friends (on http://www.fleamarketmusic.com). Good folk all around. Thanks again. I look forward to chatting it up with ya!

-Dave
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

You're overblowing it. The Oak takes very little breath pressure. Seriously, just *breath* into it and it'll play.

Once you figure out how to play it, it's a nice whistle. My Oak D is my favorite whistle, in fact.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Good move, guy. My two faves are Feadog and Sweetone, so you did the right thing.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Ukulele, eh? Sheech, thanks!
Current stage of grief: Denial
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Apparently some Sweetones are good, as are some Oaks, Feadogs, and even Generations. There's a certain amount of fun in acquiring a bunch of cheap whistles in the quest for a good one. However, the frugal thing to do would be to buy a Susato VSB or a Dixon, which cost very little more than the cheapies. The Susatos are consistently good, and if you get a bad Dixon, Tony will make it good.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm with Sam on this one.

Oak is a great whistle--maybe the absolute best of the inexpensive whistles I've played so far--but it takes careful and steady air control, and a very soft, easy blow.

Paradoxically, I find you have to have really good muscular air column support to keep that soft an air stream steady.

I will agree this is not the best whistle for beginners to try first. Consider this one to move up to if you like its pure sound and chiffy attacks.

Also this whistle plays better if you warm it up gently first for several minutes before really "digging in."

Acorn, on the other hand, though it appears to use the same fipple design, is a fine whistle for beginners. It's more forgiving on breath control and plays well cold. The tone isn't as pure, slightly louder, still with some chiff.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I would say, too, as with Generations and Feadogs, they play better after they have been "broken in".