Music Reading in Flute music

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scarletdaisies
antispam: No

Music Reading in Flute music

Post by scarletdaisies »

I tried to learn the viola and learned the basic music reading for it, similar to the guitar music sheet, plus the basic rules of naming the lines of each bar. For whatever reason my flute says its "A" is normally where the "D" is.

Do they assign each line a different note for a flute? That should be a dumb question, but my book says "A" is where "D" is for normal music reading.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Music Reading in Flute music

Post by crookedtune »

Nope, same system.

Lines, from bottom to top are Every Good Boy Does Fine, (EGBDF). Spaces, from bottom to top are FACE. If you have a regular 'D' flute, your 'A' note is sounded by stopping only the top two holes. If that's not working for you, then you don't have a standard 'D' flute.

Edited: Whoops, I just realized you're playing a Boehm flute, not a simple-system Irish flute. Sorry, can't help ya with the fingering, but the notation info is still correct.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:Nope, same system.
Actually not, CT. Viola usually uses alto clef, which is a C clef on the center line of the staff.
Scarlet, for your flute music you need to read treble clef (= G clef).
So the notes are in different places on the staff from the viola. They are as crookedtune described them. And/or take a look at the Wiki about clefs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clef

Added: Actually, it sounds like Scarlet is describing mezzosoprano C clef on the second staff line (mezzosoprano D = treble A). But the basic problem and solution are the same.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I stand corrected. I guess my eye caught the guitar reference. I never did the orchestra circuit. :oops:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:I stand corrected. I guess my eye caught the guitar reference. I never did the orchestra circuit. :oops:
Lucky you! :lol:

You're right, of course, about guitar. And your fingering description is also correct for C Boehm flute (with the thumb key also down).

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

MTGuru:

What????

A C is still a C no matter what clef you're in - I'm really confused by your reply! I play/read both treble and bass clef (I sing bass and play bass recorder in a consort). In bass clef, a C looks like an A in treble, but it's still a C...

Confused in Wheeling
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Denny

Post by Denny »

if the OP is used to reading music here
and is now reading this
without allowing for the different clef then
MTGuru wrote:(mezzosoprano D = treble A). But the basic problem and solution are the same.
scarletdaisies

Post by scarletdaisies »

Thanks. I thought everything I ever read in music after all these years must have been wrong or this book was seriously wrong. That explains things, so I'll just continue as normal. This tells me about the book, but not about my flute. I'm reading from a book called:

"How to Play the Flute: Everything you need to know to play the Flute" by Howard Harrison.

It's supposed to be good and I agree it's nice, but really so far even though it is a strange comparison to a guitar, the flute doesn't seem that bad, especially compared to trying to play the viola.

I spend over a hundred and fifty dollars I'm sure on books to play the viola, with cds, and still couldn't keep my mind on it. One book on flutes and I can say it sounds better than I ever did on the viola. I'm just starting the book, but still sounds better.

How do I know what key my flute is in? I guess a tuner would tell? I wonder how?
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's in C....

This is a folk forum. There are a few people that play Boehm and more that have played it. The focus is Irish Traditional music and the weapon of choice might look more like this.

these are in D....folk D....what is a lot like yer C
this is gonna get confusing for a bit, if ya stay :D
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dear Confused in Wheeling,
plunk111 wrote:What????
First, that's probably the most succinct question anyone has ever asked me. :lol:

Second ... Right, C is C. But where it's located on the staff depends on the clef. As you said, in treble clef it's 3rd space, and in bass clef it's 2nd space. In alto clef it's 3rd line, tenor clef 4th line, and so on.

In sight reading class they would give us a line of notes on a staff, without a clef. Then they'd drop a movable clef somewhere on the staff, and tell us play it. I'm convinced this exercise is the source of most of my emotional problems, including my pathological fear of violas.

Yours truly,
MT "Lonelyhearts" Guru

P.S. I was once confused in Wheeling, while driving from New York to Indiana on I-70. I exited to look for Gas, Food, and Lodging, and somehow ended up in California. Ever since, I figure that confusion is not necessarily a bad thing. Which is just as well in my particular case.

Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

MTGuru wrote:
I exited to look for Gas, Food, and Lodging, and somehow ended up in California.
Oh yeah, you were hinging on Pennsyltucky at that point. There's a college down there called California State College. We call it "Harvard on the Mon". Mon being the abbreviation for the Monongahela river.

Regards,

Kirk
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

MTGuru wrote: Ever since, I figure that confusion is not necessarily a bad thing. Which is just as well in my particular case.
Yes, that's the third option: resigned temperament.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

not much left is there
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm getting older. I have adapted to my new condition by being grumpy.

I have a viola, and I started to learn to read music written for the viola. I also had trouble adapting to the different clef than what I was used to. Viola wasn't going to be my main instrument, and I didn't want to spend that much time learning a new clef. Of course, I understood the reason for the different clef for the viola. Viola music placed on the treble clef, which is what I was most used to, tends to be mostly on leger lines below the staff. This would be hard to read and write. And if you wrote the viola music on the bass cleff, you would have far too many notes on leger lines above the staff. Right now I play the viola as a viola de gamba, with the viola sitting on my lap. I feel sorry for the viola players in the orchestra, as they look uncomfortable holding the large fiddles under their chins. With my viola I play by ear and don't refer to music at all.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I'm resigned to the fact that I'm getting older. I have adapted to my new condition by being grumpy.
That's the spirit, Doug!
Doug_Tipple wrote:With my viola I play by ear and don't refer to music at all.
Hear, hear!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.