Burns = Loud

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Burns = Loud

Post by Akiba »

Two times in sessions I've been asked to play more quietly, both at thhe same location at different nights. I was surprised each time since I don't think I'm the loudest player; I actually try to play more focused than loud. Both times I was playing my factory-2nd blackwood slideless Casey Burns standard. I've heard others try my flute and thought they projected more and sounded louder. Thus, since many folks here look for and talk about "loud" flutes, I'd put the Burns right up there, a flute not usually associated with loud since it's not a Pratten, a flute that is very easy to finger and get around on.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Burns = Loud

Post by Jon C. »

Akiba wrote:Two times in sessions I've been asked to play more quietly, both at thhe same location at different nights. I was surprised each time since I don't think I'm the loudest player; I actually try to play more focused than loud. Both times I was playing my factory-2nd blackwood slideless Casey Burns standard. I've heard others try my flute and thought they projected more and sounded louder. Thus, since many folks here look for and talk about "loud" flutes, I'd put the Burns right up there, a flute not usually associated with loud since it's not a Pratten, a flute that is very easy to finger and get around on.
Maybe it was a hint... :poke:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

:lol: :lol: I am usually the loudest flute player as well with my FF. I was surprised at the volume of it in the pub. I agree with you completely, it is a loud, yet nice sounding flute. I always think it has the best of both Pratten and Rudall.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Jon C. wrote:Maybe it was a hint... :poke:
That's me--loud, bombastic, obnoxious. If you can't play loud, go home. :twisted: :party:
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Jon C. wrote:Maybe it was a hint... :poke:
Ok, that made me laugh.

I've been playing lately with reducing the embouchure and being more "focused". At first I thought that it was a strange trade-off that I was using less air but at the same time I sounded louder. I think possibly the quality of the sound I'm producing is more piercing instead. Either that or l'm wasting less air and what is being used is vibrating more efficiently.

More advanced fluters would have to agree with or correct my theory.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

Yes, being more focused I think does mean having more "projection" as it has been discussed here, i.e. the sound travels and "pierces" through with less effort.

Cheers.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon is probably right.

Although I have often fallen prey to the excitement of the tune well known and played it hard you have to remember this isn't about going "solo".

Ya got to blend in tuning and volume.

Not that there isn't room to stick out but its really a group thing.

Right?

Just because you can bring it loud doesn't mean you should.

If you are being told you are playing too loud you probably are.

Ain't a big thang.

Tuck it in some.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Two times in sessions I've been asked to play more quietly
Wow, what do they tell the box player! Are they all playing air fiddle?
Mark
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

"Just because you can bring it loud doesn't mean you should.

If you are being told you are playing too loud you probably are.

Ain't a big thang.

Tuck it in some.

What is this, a So Cal / Nor Cal grudge match? Teaming up on me, eh? It's cool, I can take it.

Alright, I'll play softer, quieter and blend in like a good boy...(wimps). :wink:
Last edited by Akiba on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

MarkP wrote:
Seriously.

More and more, I'm seeing the dark underbelly of ITM and it ain't pretty. :really:
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

MarkP wrote:
Sometimes the fiddles hurt my ears. Nobody ever asks them to play more quietly.

Nobody ever tells me I play too loud. They all say they can't hear me at all. I think they all think I'm playing air flute. I have a Burns, too, but it's the Rudall model.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

sbfluter wrote: Sometimes the fiddles hurt my ears. Nobody ever asks them to play more quietly.
Sit on the fiddler's right side next time and the trouble will disappear.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

hmmmm :-?

What instruments were you playing with?

If you were louder than a couple of accordians, a trumpet,
2 guitar players and 3 bodhran then that would indeed be loud!! :lol: :lol:

B

....nobody said this would be easy......