Alignment of the head joint (embouchure hole position)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AbraXas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alignment of the head joint (embouchure hole position)

Post by AbraXas »

Hi!

I thought it would be fun to see how you align your head joint with the rest of the body, to see where you prefer to have your embouchure hole.

I have been experimenting with this for some time now, and I have on multiple occasions found an "ultimate" alignment :)
But now I feel confident that i have found a permanent spot.

I will post a picture of my embouchure alignment when I can get hold of a camera. In the mean time, post pictures of your preferred assembled flute, where we can see the head joint alignment relative to the rest of the body.
johnkerr

Re: Alignment of the head joint (embouchure hole position)

Post by johnkerr »

I line up. Other flute players roll in. Still others roll out. How you line up the embouchure hole and the finger holes doesn't matter, though. What matters is how your lips and your airstream interact with the embouchure hole to produce your sound. Find the optimum spot for that, then if necessary change the relative positions of the finger holes and the embouchure hole to achieve ergonomic comfort as you play.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

I can't be arsed to set up the camera, so how about a good description:

I'll describe it using the finger-holes, as opposed to the sounding-holes. I know, same holes, but in the interest of clarity I mean the hole you cover to produce the note referred to. Now, the inside edge of the B hole is my index (and no, I'm not a proctologist). I line up the inside edge, i.e. the me-side of the hole, with a) the center of the F# hole, and b) the blowing edge of the embouchure hole. Obviously this is a flute with a 2-piece center section. cheers,

Rob
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, both Grey Larsen and Catherine McEvoy told us (either in lessons or a workshop) to line up the blow hole with the finger holes. Works fine for me.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm a newbie flute player. Until I went to Drumshanbo recently (Joe Mooney Summer School) I had the tone holes and embouchure exactly in line. But, while I was there, I noticed that a lot of the flute players whose playing I enjoyed had their embouchure holes rolled in. So I tried it. It's working for me at the moment - much more tone. But I only have it rolled in a little bit - the inside edge of the B hole is in line with middle of the embouchure hole. All finger holes are in line, unlike Rob. I haven't thought so far of aligning the finger/tone holes any other way ...

[edited to correct which hole I meant]
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have always thought it a bit odd. The holes on one piece flutes are usually lined up, fifes, bamboo flutes, etc. The slides primary function being (to me) adjustable tuning. don't get me wrong, it adjusting the head helps the ergonomics for a person, great.

I mean, do the notes on an ergonomic flute sound different when the finger holes are placed off center?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Shouldn't sound any different.

R
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

After reading this thread, I tried "lined up" again last night (I usually turn in so that the far edge of the embouchure hole is lined up close to the middle of the L1 hole) and found that I was able to get a better "honk" on the low-D. Guess I'll stick with "lined up" for a while. I could never get the turn-in exactly the same every time anyway!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
david_h

Post by david_h »

I'm interpreting johnkerr's post to meant that the hole you blow into is positioned to suite the way your want to blow, the holes where your fingers go are positioned to suite the way you want to put your hands, and that the alignment of the holes makes no significant difference to what goes on inside the flute. Is that right ?
Denny

Post by Denny »

yes.....

you could loose
david_h wrote:significant
though
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Denny... What?
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Denny

Post by Denny »

david_h wrote:the alignment of the holes makes no significant difference to what goes on inside the flute.
it makes no difference.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

What I tell my students is, always begin by getting the hand position you like, then adjust the head so that the embouchure lines up to your liking. The idea is to resist the temptation to rotate the flute around with your hands while you're playing, to the detriment of your fingers. Cheers,

Rob
AbraXas

Post by AbraXas »

Denny wrote:
david_h wrote:the alignment of the holes makes no significant difference to what goes on inside the flute.
it makes no difference.

It makes a difference if you are playing in a wind tunnel :D

That's why my holes point towards the ceiling. Just in case I might play in one some day. 7 embouchure holes are too many! One embouchure hole is just about right! :lol:
david_h

Post by david_h »

Just trying to avoid any loose ends for people to play with and it was shorter than 'any change in the movement of air molecules has no effect on the acoustic characteristics of the of the flute as perceived by the player or a listener'
... in still air