new piper

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Shawn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just trying to update my profile. Add my location, I joined to get some help with the pipes, I figured i should let folks know where I live, maybe I'll luck out and there is someone near me that wouldn't mind helping me get started.

new piper

Post by Shawn »

I am new to this uilleann pipe world, and have a bunch of questions, ie I have a 1/2 set in D, can I play a flat chanter with it, or do I need flat drones too? Anyway is there some type of introductory book I can get that helps you get started, I have the NPU tutors, but they don't help when it comes to technical info about the pipes themselves.
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: new piper

Post by oliver »

You can play a flat chanter with a D set if you switch off the drones, cuz D drones won't suit a C or B chanter for instance. You can't slide them down enough to get the desired note. So if you wanna play with drones, get yourself another set. As for the rest, you'll find enough advice on other threads, just do a search. Good luck.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

You can plays tunes in certain minor keys (like Eminor) with a C chanter on D drones. Sounds real spooky-like.

Also, some sets will allow certain drones to work pulled almost all the way out. My tenor drone will work in this fashion, but it is barely hanging on there. I play over carpet when I do this.

tommykleen
oliver

Post by oliver »

tommykleen wrote:You can plays tunes in certain minor keys (like Eminor) with a C chanter on D drones. Sounds real spooky-like.

Also, some sets will allow certain drones to work pulled almost all the way out. My tenor drone will work in this fashion, but it is barely hanging on there. I play over carpet when I do this.

tommykleen
But why would you need a C chanter to play in Em ? A D chanter is just as fine.
As for drones pulled out this way, I think it might do for a C chanter, but a Bb ? Dunno...
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

tommykleen wrote:You can plays tunes in certain minor keys (like Eminor) with a C chanter on D drones. Sounds real spooky-like.

tommykleen
CARPET! Ooh.... I should be so lucky!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

oliver wrote:

tommykleen
But why would you need a C chanter to play in Em ? A D chanter is just as fine.
As for drones pulled out this way, I think it might do for a C chanter, but a Bb ? Dunno...
You don't actually play in E minor when you play like Tommy suggests. As it's a C chanter, you're playing in a D minor or dorian mode - which is why it works against D drones.

Personally, I like the sound of a C chanter against D drones, if you can get the balance right. Concert pitch drones tend to drown out a narrow bore C chanter, so I find I have to stop the bass drone on my set.
PJ
oliver

Post by oliver »

All right, Dm makes sense then. Problem is the sound, and I think you're right, PJ, a flat chanter is drown with D drones ; to me it sounds like a suffocating chanter. :-?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

By the way, David Daye seems to offer wide bore C chanters. I haven't yet heard any so I can't comment on the sound, but if someone were looking for more volume in a C chanter, this might be an option.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

PJ wrote:
You don't actually play in E minor when you play like Tommy suggests. As it's a C chanter, you're playing in a D minor or dorian mode - which is why it works against D drones.
Exactly. Thanks for making the save, Peej. :thumbsup:
T
Shawn
Tell us something.: I am just trying to update my profile. Add my location, I joined to get some help with the pipes, I figured i should let folks know where I live, maybe I'll luck out and there is someone near me that wouldn't mind helping me get started.

Post by Shawn »

thanks guys