Left thumb

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sacrenouille
antispam: No

Left thumb

Post by sacrenouille »

I old the irish flute with the left thumb under the joint separating the 1st and 2nd part of the flute. Unlike the boehm flute where I have the thumb under the thumb key (logical). I play a keyless irish flute so it's not a problem since I have to thumb key to press.

Is that a bad habit ? I play like this because I more relaxed this way, it makes my left fingers more free to, and the flute is no stable when playing C# (no holes covered). Any one playing like this too ?
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Left thumb

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think quite a lot of the top players do that. Some others like Kevin Crawford put their thumb in the same area only on the side of the flute (instead of under it), but yeah. If I had strong enough hands that's what I'd do! So check out some of the fellas on YouTube and see, but IMO if it works and doesn't hurt, that's the best grip for Irish playing as far as A and B rolls, fluidity/control of the left hand, etc.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

The only problem is that when you switch to a keyed flute (and you WILL), you'll have to relearn your thumb position again. OTOH, I can't remember EVER using the Bb in Irish music, but I do need it at church.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

On a keyed flute the left thumb key is for Bb ? Ok, I'm so used to play Bb xox xxx and xox ooo (high) that on a keyed flute I think I would stick to my position and play the Bb cross fingered instead of using the key. It's like the boehm flute where there's no way around.

Thanks for you replies !
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

plunk111 wrote:The only problem is that when you switch to a keyed flute (and you WILL), you'll have to relearn your thumb position again.

Pat
Not true. Plenty of flutes are being made to accommodate players whose grips preclude the use of the thumb key, to wit:

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I stand corrected (well, actually I'm sitting, but you get the point).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oooh, me likes Rob's Bb key verrah much!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

me likes BB King very much as well...

;p

Sorry, couldn't help :^)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol:! Thangewe verrah much for the chuckle!

http://o.aolcdn.com/feedgallery/music/i ... 081407.jpg

[ Changed mega-monster photo to link. Sorry Cathy, I was getting vertigo! :-) - MTGuru]
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

sacrenouille,
don't worry about your different approaches to different instrumnets.
If they work without hurting your body or compromising the music, there shouldn't be an issue.

Different types of flutes are different instruments like a dobro, Spanish guitar and electric guitar
attract different techniques albeit hey are all types of guitar.

On the gatchami track you will get one snippet of me playing
a large bell note C bamboo flute with idiosyncratic tone holes (2 thumbs and 4 fingers)
http://payplay.fm/atmospheres
and then I switch to a little bansuri with the 6 toneholes (as on a tin whistle).
http://www.greatindie.com/ipnmusic/stor ... 4479555497
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit