BEST GLUE ??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

BEST GLUE ??

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

just checking if anyone has a preference regarding glue when fixing up flutes, I have headjoint which I think is cocus, it has a crack right through the headjoint, I have managed to remove the liner and the metal bands and have cleaned out the gunk and wax that the crack was filled with, I gave the whole headjoint a drink of almond oil nd left it for a week, it is now possible with not to much hand pressure to get the crack to seal.

so what do I use for the glueing process, I have plenty of rosewood and blackwood dust which I can mix with wood glue, I have been looking at Evostick wood glue, which says stronger than wood on the bottle, they also do an extra strengh version as well, or do I use superglue or crazy glue?????

cheers sponge :D
Gabriel

Re: BEST GLUE ??

Post by Gabriel »

Cyanoacrylate! The fluid stuff. Has a tendency to draw itself into cracks and can be mixed with dust to create a resin for invisible repairs. Good stuff.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Unfortunately, I think that by oiling the bejabbers out of it to get the crack to seal, you've seriously cut down your chances of a) getting any kind of glue to stick, and b) keeping the crack from popping back open afterward. By all means try, but I'm betting that you'd be better off closing the crack sans liner, then getting the head re-reamed for the liner. Good luck,

Rob
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

You can clean the crack with some lacquer thinner to clean out the oil, and you can also use baking soda to clean the crack, and help the glue to hold. I use CA glue that is made for wood. You can get it at a woodworking store.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Sponge,

You need to remove the oil and wax from the crack first. I'ld try irrigating the crack with acetone, then let it dry and then irrigate again and finally a third time. The glue can't bond with wax or oil in the wood.

Cyanoacrylate = Super Glue (Good Stuff).

After glueing the crack, use hose clamps to close the crack till the glue cures. You will probably need to apply additional coats of glue to fill the crack.

The excess glue can be scraped off with a knife. Don't cut it off with the knife, scape with the knife edge perpendicular to the wood. Then final polish with steel wool.

The head can be reamed out with a dowl or section of pipe with coarse sandpaper wrapped around it. Double sided tape can keep the paper on the stick. This method takes some elbow grease and care. Try to keep the sanding even throughout the head. Keep the liner handy to check for a snug fit.

Take your time and enjoy! :thumbsup:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Ditto what others have said about superglue. I used to repair violins, and hide glue was the traditional glue that the purists were adamant about. Hide glue allows you to glue the instrument together and to remove the top again without destroying the wood. However, one of the problems with hide glue, besides its mess and smell, is that the bond isn't very strong and is susceptable to heat. Leave your violin in the trunk of your car and it is apt to self destruct.

Not wanting to go to the trouble of removing the top from an old violin, I removed it loose from the ribs about a third of the way around the top. Now, being able to move the top along the base bar crack, I glued it with conventional hide glue. Several months later the crack was open again. I did this a couple of times until I decided to use a simple superglue fix. I put masking tape along the edges of the crack so that the glue would not come in contact with the top. Superglue is great because it will wick into the inner surface of the crack, something that white glue or hide glue will not do. I'm please to say that the super glue repair of a base bar crack (a difficult one) has held for more than five years.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Thanks a bunch guys, I didn't consider the oil being a problem, but thinking about it now makes sense, trying to glue something cover in oil would be a lost cause, i'll carefuly apply some acetone or similar product, and leave for a day or so then have a go with the super glue fix.

i'll keep you all informed

cheers sponge
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Sponge - check out the sequence of pictures of repairing a head crack (with notes) on iainbeag's K Prowse flute I have posted on Facebook - you may find it helpful, if a touch more complex a job than most.... and Jon C has some good repair pics on his FB too.

Definitely go with superglue for the crack once its clean. And I agree you should go the whole hog and pull and refit the liner if you want a decent, lasting job. If you use a fine half-round metal file rather than sandpaper to ream out the bore, you can save the dust to use to top-dress your glued crack.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
chas

Post by chas »

Sillydill wrote: After glueing the crack, use hose clamps to close the crack till the glue cures.
Geez, if you've got hose clamps, why even bother with the glue? ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
seamasL

Post by seamasL »

I have some “krazy glue” I looked to see what was in it and it says it contains
ethyl cyanoacrylate…same stuff right? It is just a different label right? Anybody have anything bad to say before I use it instead of super glue? Thanks.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

That will work.
Good luck!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

seamasL wrote:I have some “krazy glue” I looked to see what was in it and it says it contains
ethyl cyanoacrylate…same stuff right? It is just a different label right? Anybody have anything bad to say before I use it instead of super glue? Thanks.
Krazy Glue is the right type of glue, but it is a bit thick for the best crack repair - better to buy some of the water thin type super glue.

Loren
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Loren wrote:
seamasL wrote:I have some “krazy glue” I looked to see what was in it and it says it contains
Krazy Glue is the right type of glue, but it is a bit thick for the best crack repair - better to buy some of the water thin type super glue.

Loren
Krazy glue in a 'pen' rather than a tube is more fluid.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert