Shaw Low G

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Defoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Defoe »

Firstly hello, I am new to C&F. I started playing the whistle a couple of months ago and frankly can't put it down.

I have been given a Shaw Low G as a present by some friends on a recent trip to Ireland. It's a lovely whistle and plays nicely but the F natural is noticably sharp. Is there anything I can do to correct this?
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Hi Defoe,and a warm welcome to the forum.What tone hole are you referring to?Fnat on a G whistle would be cross finger position ie OXXOOO or alternatively OXXXOX refered to as `fork finger´and sounds a little flatter than the other position.Hope this helps you.:smile: Mike
Defoe

Post by Defoe »

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes, it's the OXXOOO position. Ok when I'm playing in G, but when I play in C it stands out like a sore thumb. Especially on a slow air. I really like the tone and feel of the whistle but when I play "South Wind" it sounds like I'm hitting the wrong note. I'm happy enough to try and fix it, but only if I've half an idea of what I'm trying to do. Any suggestions?
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I think that the fork fingering might be your best bet.I have a Shaw low 'D' and it seems to play best with this fingering.Can anyone advise if this is a characteristic of conical bore whistles in general,or Shaws in particular? Mind you,when i think about it,i'm pretty sure that my clarke original 'D' plays fine with 0xx000. As an afterthought,have you tried half holing? Not suitable for all tunes though(unless your Mary Bergin!).
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

On a Shaw, you may also want to try some clear tape on the top of the "E" hole (or whatever the top hole is on the whistle you're playing at the time.)

The obvious problem with this solution however, is that it's semi-permanent - meaning it's VERY tough to gracefully take the tape off in the middle of a tune, if you happen to be playing either a set of tunes which would use both F# and Fnat.

Last note, if you DO use tape, get the crystal clear kind, as it is the most invisible. avoid black elecrical tape, or the 'frosted' varieties. I guess if youw ere really brave, and just didn't care, there's also duct, or gaffer's tape too.

Good luck.

Bri~