brass whistle care

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rossirhodes

brass whistle care

Post by rossirhodes »

I have a Burke brass pro session D whistle. It looses its shine so fast here in Missouri. Thought it might be the humidity. Does anyone have any suggestions on any type of permanent solution like having it lacquered or coated? Maybe I should just live with it and do an occasional shine. It is a great whistle.
Makar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: brass whistle care

Post by Makar »

There are some threads on how to 'age' your brass whistle quickly and gain a worn in patina - I suppose people want different things in the aesthetic. Personally I'd just let it do what it wants to do on its skin. I really like my brass session d and its imprint of me all round the holes and on the back. But if you like it shiny then why not - I'm sure there are threads on how to keep it that way more permanently.

cheers
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
walrii

Post by walrii »

There are some production whistles with a laquer coating on them. On the ones I've had, the lacquer ends up lifting from the brass then your salty finger oil gets under the lacquer and makes an ugly green spot. I ended up taking the lacquer off. Without the coating, brass develops a nice patina. If you want a shiny whitle, get a chrome one like the Feadog Pro or the Blackbird. They stay shiney forever with no maintenance.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Don't wreck that beautiful patina!!!

Phew! *sigh* Okay, I said it, now I can carry on... :D

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'm one of those heretics who also likes shiny brass whistles. And in this dry climate and in my hands with my body chemistry, brass doesn't develop a lovely patina, but something more akin to leprosy.

I mentioned my approach, polishing cloths + Simichrome, here: viewtopic.php?p=900448#p900448

I'm certainly not obsessive about it. My brass whistles have to get a bit grungy before I'll touch them up.

I wouldn't lacquer a Burke. Application is tricky, especially around the fipple and holes. You run into the problems that walrii described. And the resale value would be ruined for many people.

As an extra measure, after polishing you can try applying a coat of pure beeswax or carnauba wax. I've occasionally used Meguiar's #26 carnauba* with good results. Lasts through a week or so of heavy playing. And again, be careful around the fipple and holes. (I think the wax suggestion was courtesy of Thomas-Hastay.)

* Called "Professional Hi-Tech Yellow Wax". This is the professional auto body shop stuff in the brown bottle, not the consumer product in red. It contains no abrasives.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I had a similar question before and I ended up turning to Flitz:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54884
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I enjoy watching the way things age: blue jeans, fine wooden furniture, etc. so I like to let nature take it's course when it comes to whistles. I never shine mine. Apart from oiling wooden whistles, the only thing I ever do is clean actual debris such as peanut butter fingerprints :D from the surface of an instrument.
For me, the signs of age and wear are reminders of where the whistle and I have been. We both started out shiny and new and have picked up nicks and dings along the way. Hopefully, both the whistles and I will be making sweet music for a long time to come.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rossirhodes

Post by rossirhodes »

thanks for all the feedback...like fine wine my whistle will age naturally and gracefully...with me
janmarie
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest you apply Gilding (aka, Yellow Gold Leaf). Gold Leaf does not oxidize. The techniques for application are very easy and the Leaf is not that expensive. After burnishing/polishing, you can add an acrylic clearcoat. You have the Option of Red,Yellow or White Gold Leaf as well as Silver and Platinum.

http://www.gildedplanet.com/metalgilding.asp
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I know it's been covered but I'm too lazy to Search--how are you all cleaning the inside of your brass whistles? I think mine needs a good reaming.
Makar

Post by Makar »

FJohnSharp wrote:I know it's been covered but I'm too lazy to Search--how are you all cleaning the inside of your brass whistles? I think mine needs a good reaming.
Hydrochloric acid mixed with tabasco, I think...hmm, sorry I'm too lazy to check :twisted:
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
walrii

Post by walrii »

FJohnSharp wrote:I know it's been covered but I'm too lazy to Search--how are you all cleaning the inside of your brass whistles? I think mine needs a good reaming.
Wash with soap and warm water. Push a small wad of paper towel through with a dowel several times to swab out the grunge. Rinse and dry by running a dry wad of towel through the barrel. If warm, soapy water doesn't get it, then Makar's formula is probably called for (throw in some bleach for good measure).

Edited to add: the last sentence is just a joke. I can see the headlines now: "Earlier today, a house blew up when a musician mixed hydrocloric acid and bleach while trying to clean a whistle. Authorities are looking for someone named 'walrii' for questioning."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.