Documentary of Organist on TV

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Documentary of Organist on TV

Post by Jim Troy »

Any organists out there , Church or otherwise ? any documentary heads ?

i thought i'd ask here first , and then go to the appropriate TV station archive info .
it is about pipes and music , after all , and it is a bit geeky , so it seemed to me that this might be the place to ask :)

some years ago , i watched a TV ( likely BBC ) documentary on an organist , who was a bit of an unsung genius .
his passions were composing church music for organ , and gardening .
he dressed like he couldn't be bothered , a battered frock type jacket , and trousers that didn't quite reach to his ankles . he looked about 60 years or so .
he wore the same clothes for playing the organ as for his gardening .
( a bit like you'd see farmers , long time ago , ploughing in , an albeit battered , three piece suit , )

i'm not particularly fond of organ music , and organists generally wreck my head , but this story has stuck in my mind over the years . a musician / composer , who just played and composed , for the sheer love of it . a driven artist .

so , if this makes any sense to you , then please post a link of some sort .
maybe just writing this might kick in some more details in my head .

and just to lighten the moment , something from Spike Milligan , via Mr. Hall

Thomas Tallis
Bore no man any malice
Save an organist called Ken
Who played his music
Rather badly
Now and then

feel free to add any doggerel concerning organists
perhaps , if i don't get any info on my question , at least we can turn this into an amusing moment of time on the wibbly wobbly web .
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Documentary of Organist on TV

Post by benhall.1 »

dwest

Post by dwest »

Freeman Dyson's dad played organ I believe, he was English which means he must have been flaky.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Bob Mitchell plays at my church. He is one of the last surviving silent film organists (they played live at the movie theaters while the films were shown). Mitchell also used to play the organ at Dodger Stadium.

Mr. Mitchell is most famous for leading his Mitchell Boys Choir. The choir has appeared in, or is on the sound track of over 200 movies. For decades, most movies that had children singing would use the Mitchell Boys as the sound, if not on screen. The most well known movie is probably "Going My Way," starring Bing Crosby.

There was a short documentary on PBS (U. S. public television) about Bob Mitchell and the boys choir some years back, but I can not find a link to it online, or a way to purchase a DVD.

Here are two short Youtube clips of Mr. Mitchell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdXdzIdtuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LOGaE9TtM
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Another organ poem:

Scintillate, scintillate organ vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
Loftily poised in the ether capacious
Strongly resembling a gem carbonacious
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Our church organist when I was a kid is who made me become a church musician. The choir loft is where my Mom took me and my newborn baby brother to avoid disturbing the congregation. Our church organist was beautiful but what really got me was:
1. She took her shoes off in church.
2. She had total control of the congregation.

I never became an organist but I do lead the music. I keep my shoes on.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Bob Mitchell plays at my church. He is one of the last surviving silent film organists (they played live at the movie theaters while the films were shown). Mitchell also used to play the organ at Dodger Stadium.
The great Bob Mitchell passed away early this morning, July 5th. At age 96, he was still performing, and was scheduled to sing (without aid of amplification) and play at my church this morning.

Mr. Mitchell touched the lives of thousands of boys that came through his school and Mitchell Boys choir. When he was teaching the boys, I could see the light in his eyes. His legacy lives forever in the over 200 films that his boys sang on, and/or appeared in. There was also a short PBS documentary on the school and choir.

Has anyone ever contacted a PBS station to track down a copy of an old show? It is not on the KCET website. I think it aired about 15 years ago. What would be the best way to proceed?