Low D, seems to be popular

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Low D, seems to be popular

Post by caedmon »

In reading the different posts into the past, it would seem a whistle in Low D is quite popular. Once someone has become proficient with a starter whistle like the Clarke Meg, is a Low D an okay second stop, or should that wait until a higher level of proficiency?

What would make one choose between a Low or High D whistle? The setting? Specific songs?
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Low D, seems to be popular

Post by chris_coreline »

I chose to 'go low' after finding my feet on a high whistle.

a low whistle has a different leyout then its high sibling, it needs 'pipers grip' to be comfortable to use for more then one tune at a time, this is where insteed of usinf the finger tip pads to cover the hole you use the pads on the second span of the finger.

while this is mightey trickey to master, if you 'make the low D your main axe' for a few months, you will be able to swoop between them easily... I did and its worth it :D
You will sound like a total beginner for the first few weeks or so but keep with it!

low whistles in sessons tend to clash with flutes, sond other low D thingies. high D whistles generally only clash with themselves(:P)
Outside of the session environment, the low D will usually have a much bretheyer tone, its ideal for slow pieces in wackey modes.

For best results play a slow air(e) at sunset on a moor somwhere, just within earshot of your one true love before setting off alone in serch of somthing profound but unspecified.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

caedmon wrote: Once someone has become proficient with a starter whistle like the Clarke Meg, is a Low D an okay second stop, or should that wait until a higher level of proficiency?
This debate comes up often. :) I am on the side that says you can start with a low D, and than go to a small whistle. Depends on your self motivation. They both have the same finger sequence, but the low whistle takes a little more air. While your waiting :sleep: for this thread to develop get your self a Generation Bb. A very popular whistle with a low mellow sound, and more economical than a low D. Some are able to play like a small whistle with the end pads of their fingers. But it also offers a good way to practice the pipers grip for a longer whistle.
:thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

To me the Low D is just a much better session instrument, a much better ensemble instrument, than the High D.

You're in the same octave as the fiddles, flutes, pipes, accordions etc and not screaming an octave above.

I'm puzzled by the statement above that Low D whistles clash with flutes. I was playing my Low D at one session where there were five or six flutes playing and I just sounded like one of the flutes. The only clash could be if the flute was out of tune, or the Low D whistle was out of tune.

I use the Low D as my main session instrument, playing everything on it except for a small number of tunes that I use a C, low G, or low A whistle on. I do bring a high D whistle to sessions but in usually stays in the bag.

I also disagree with the concept that the Low D is only suitable for people already proficient on the High D. My first Irish music mentor back in the late 1970's played Low D exclusively, and I began on Low D and flute.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

pancelticpiper wrote: I'm puzzled by the statement above that Low D whistles clash with flutes. I was playing my Low D at one session where there were five or six flutes playing and I just sounded like one of the flutes. The only clash could be if the flute was out of tune, or the Low D whistle was out of tune.
different strokes for different folks, i persojnally prefer timbral veriety in a session; ie: one of everything* rather then lots of a few things.

*insert generic snide comment about bodhrans / banjos / accordians / pipe organs here

but yes, low wistle is different from high whistle, same fingering, just bigger and as such a bit more aquard for somone who has been playing high d.
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

For me, it's just the mellow haunting sound.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My own experience is that a low D is a little more difficult to play (wider stretch, more air) than a hi D. I find it easier to learn a new tune on a hi D and easier to ornament tunes on a hi whistle.

In the end, though, it's a question of horses for courses. What music do you want to play and what sound are you looking for? Personally, I wouldn't try playing a polka on a low whistle or a slow reel on a hi whistle.
PJ
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

chris_coreline wrote: i persojnally prefer timbral veriety in a session; ie: one of everything* rather then lots of a few things.
I prefer that as well, but a session's instrumentation depends on who happens to show up.

Yep we had six flutes, a low D whistle, and a guitar at that session til a lone fiddler showed up later on.

But the session before there were five fiddles and nary a flute.

The next one had three or four uilleann pipers.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

pancelticpiper wrote:
chris_coreline wrote: i persojnally prefer timbral veriety in a session; ie: one of everything* rather then lots of a few things.
I prefer that as well, but a session's instrumentation depends on who happens to show up.
i tend to oscilate.. people who play 'things you blow' can usually play more then one 'thing you blow' so if there all on high D's ill play my low D, if they pick up flutes ill reech for the high D
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

If it's for solo playing, don't go that low, go with a low G or a low F and you'll be fascinated.
When practicing at home I find myself playing mostly a low F whistle or a low D flute. I have a low D whistle which I seldom use. If you want to go to a low D, try a flute.

My 2 cents!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

pancelticpiper wrote:

The only clash could be if the flute was out of tune, or the Low D whistle was out of tune.
And just what, may I ask, are you implying? One of the great qualities about the flute is that each and every note is always perfectly in tune... :swear:

But I digress, rather greatly...truth be told, I like low whistle in sessions, but we have a shortage of them in my neck of the woods. I agree they fit in very well - although I also like the high D flitting above the treetops so to speak.

Eric
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Have one of each, and start on either whenever you want too. I had experienced high d well and truly before I had even heard of a low d, but I was never a proficient player of the high d at that time (and probably still not). However, I came back to whistles early last year and bought just about every key Generation brought out, settled on the sound of the high d, bought a David O'Brien high d as a next step up, then soon after that an Overton Low D. These days the O'brien travels with me everyday to work due to it's three piece design and me being a biker (and because I love its sound)). The Overton gets played the most at home, and, when travelling to see friends and family (all quite some distance away by international standards), my selection is always the Overton and my more recently acquired Erle Bartlett Black Diamond high d. Aside from air requirements between them they have a very similar feel and swapping between the two is as easy as tripping over the dog.
The Low D is a must on those trips as it is also the only place I get to play in a group setting. So, awkward as it may appear, it gets to stick out of a special sideways slot in the bottom of my backpack and gets to look like something out of a 'Mad Max' film.

Geez I've waffled on there.
Regards,
Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
riverman

Post by riverman »

chris_coreline wrote:
For best results play a slow air(e) at sunset on a moor somwhere, just within earshot of your one true love before setting off alone in serch of somthing profound but unspecified.
:lol: :lol:

I tried this with my low A, but it didn't work...the effect just wasn't the same [sigh!].
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.