cocus allergy signs and symptoms

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

for those suffering from cocus or other wood allergy, what are your symptoms?

a. chapped lips, chin irritation (contact dermatitis)
100%
b. sinus congestion, headache
No votes
c. respiratory constriction/ brachial inflammation
No votes
d. hives all over body (systemic)
No votes
both a and b
No votes
both a and c
No votes
both b and c
No votes
other (please post a descrption)
No votes

Total votes: 4

rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

cocus allergy signs and symptoms

Post by rama »

for those suffering from wood allergies, what has been your personal experience?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: cocus allergy signs and symptoms

Post by chas »

I'm not 100% sure that I have the wood allergy, but voted anyway. I had what I'd thought was a case of sever chapped lower lip. Actually it was the area below the lower lip. Nothing helped it, and it looked a lot like the area that contacts a flute when you play it. So I started playing only an untreated boxwood flute. It became better, then worse; I tried correlating it with all sorts of things. The last was a cocobolo whistle I'd made. When I finally sold it, the dermatitis went away for good. I never had any symptoms when turning the stuff, but after reading of some experiences on this forum, decided I'd never turn coco again. It's a pity; it turns nicely, looks wonderful and even smells good.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

thanks chas, your feedback is helpful. i've had alot of changes in the past year and since this past winter i developed all of the above symptoms at one point or another, suspecting either a wood allergy and/or dog allergy - i am in the process of elimination. but i also thought since this topic comes up from time to time that perhaps we have a thread that lists actual cases/experiences as more of a reference source.
the more reports from folks the better...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Below-the-lip-above-the-chin contact dermatitis, here; a suppurating blistered purple-red patch of burning skin is socially most awkward, and it takes all the fun out of fluting, which is challenging enough already. As I favor blackwood, I have to have a non- or at least hypo-allergenic lip inset, and no question: once you're sensitised, it only gets worse with further contact. Sterling silver works for me.

Here's a point of caution that people may not realise with new flutes: shop dust. When I got my Noy, I still was getting inflammation, and I was devastated, because it had a lip plate, and yet no relief for me. Then someone not even a fluteplayer pointed out the obvious possibility, and so I fell to wiping down and swabbing every accessible surface on the instrument (with water, not oil, as oil can vector these irritants; I even removed the keys to do this), and vacuuming and vigorously wiping down the case lining and exterior as well. Everything. And the cleaning cloths did come away with a surprising amount of purple dust, and I repeated the process until the rags and swabs came away as clean as I could tell. For good measure I carefully took a swab and rubbing alcohol to the lip plate to take care of anything more microscopic, just in case. No problems, now. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

some Boehm players have a reaction the sterling silver :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:some Boehm players have a reaction the sterling silver :D
Come the day, I'll go with surgical steel or even white gold if I have to. Until then, I can't be arsed to worry about it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

didn't worry about black wood.....

gold is the usual choice
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmm. Upon Googling, looks like even white gold can be problematic if it's alloyed with nickel, but far less so with palladium. Titanium is apparently non-allergenic altogether. Maybe that's the ultimate ticket! Don't wanna deviate too far from the look of silver, you know...
Denny

Post by Denny »

platinum?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:platinum?
Looks like the jury's out. Platinum salts can be a health concern, apparently, but a lip plate might be different. I get the impression that more research needs to be done.
Denny

Post by Denny »

flute doesn't seem like a deadly instrument :shock:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:flute doesn't seem like a deadly instrument :shock:
Yeah, who knew? Seems like playing in traffic's a better bet some days.
Denny

Post by Denny »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I can't wear sterling silver earrings; ear puffs up like a balloon within a day or two. I have to stick to gold, gold-plate, and stainless. I had an uncle who had to have an 18K wedding band because he was allergic to something in 14k gold. He worked with his hands, too, and 18K is significantly softer than 14K, and that ring was so banged up. I have rings of 14k yellow gold and white gold, both for years, and no problem with them yet.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rama

Post by rama »

thanks to all who answered the poll thus far - 100% lips and chin irritation, just what i was hoping.

during this past winter up until a few weeks ago i did experience chap lips but no chin irritaton, and had other symptoms come and go to my forearms, torso, and sinus/respiratory tract, leading me to ponder that perhaps i had other stuff going on like maybe dog allergy or something else. so the past couple weeks i stayed away from dogs, and after a long hiatus from flutes, i picked up and played a couple cocus flutes individually with no ill effects, which i am thrilled to report. back in the saddle again...

unless some folks report different experiences... it seems clear that actual cocus problems are limited to chin/lips so far as we know...