Why music matters

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Why music matters

Post by FJohnSharp »

Don't know if this has been posted before. Nice essay/speech by Karl Paulnack.

http://www.symphonymusicians.com/Welcom ... fault.aspx
CHasR

Re: Why music matters

Post by CHasR »

having studied, worked, and generally been involved in music conservatory(s) for 11 years...

I cant help but consider those whom he's addressing...
he knows where his bread is buttered, if you know what I mean...

one major by-word I took from all that time in arts institurions, that has helped me SOOOO much in my professional carreer is;

"You can't B-S the B-S 'ers" :party:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

For me, I take out of it that every time I perform I may be touching someone in a way that I cannot anticipate. It reminds me never to phone it in. I don't expect it to change minds any moreso than your average op-ed piece.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

oh, I agree: a well-seasoned old conductor I used to work under used to say: "No matter how many seats are filled in the theatre tonight, You're playing for only two people out there...the one whos hearing this music for the first time, and the one whos hearing it for the last time..." & Ive used this phrase often to get my game on.

This kinda stuff can help, but gig after gig, especially in something like a 32-show run, it gets phoned in MUCH more than the audience realizes.
Ive been exposed to far too much of this musico-inspirative palava, so I have kind of a 'rectal-end' view of fundraising in the arts as opposed to the much nicer facial presentation. Like politics, any talk mentioning 9-11 (as horrible that day was), just seems like jumping the shark to me. But it serves the purpose of keeping arts budgets in the public eye, engages controversy, relevancy, and above all, it keeps the valves open for funding.

Then again, he can shark jump, preach arts & wear his heart on his sleeve as much as he wants,
but it still wont stop the Texas Ballet Theater from cheaping out and paying $30,000 to a Chinese orchestra for a pre-recorded soundtrack to use during their performances; rather than hire local musicians at a fair wage to play the show. (True~!) :thumbsup:
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Hey, can the Phillies get Lidge a lead fer cryin' out loud? I have him on my fantasy team. I needs saves, man.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

FJohnSharp wrote:Hey, can the Phillies get Lidge a lead fer cryin' out loud? I have him on my fantasy team. I needs saves, man.
aw cmon yer jokin. they're in chronic persistent postpennant atrophy. sneakin by the Mets last night MAY have given them a spark, but im not countin on it. ask me mid august.
geex even the Rays could beat them now. :lol:

but Id rather gripe about losing even more work overseas. :(