Opinions/Comments on Healy Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MJ1619

Opinions/Comments on Healy Flutes?

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey Everybody,

I'm still searching for a keyed flute and just saw Skip Healy's "recession buster" prices. These deals (I can't think of a better word to describe them), certainly put his instruments into consideration.

So, I'd really appreciate it if anyone who owns/plays or has tried one of Skip's keyed flutes (in D) would share his or her comments or opinions on the instrument (craftsmanship, quality, tone, sound, etc.). I understand that these flutes are really different beasts - loosely based on a Pratten but more of Skip's own design.

Thanks,

Michael
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Opinions/Comments on Healy Flutes?

Post by Gordon »

Not sure what you're asking... I've played several, and over the years have played sessions where someone else was playing one (including one, years ago, with Skip). Skip's flutes are great - particularly if you're looking for a good, loud and clear session player; they're only "different beasts" if you're really used to more typical Pratten-types, but they are certainly equal to other top-notch flutes in terms of sound, quality of craftsmanship and internal tuning. Where they rank against other makes is much more a matter of personal taste and style than anything else. The only true way to find out how you feel is to play one. His flutes used to be a bit pricey, IMO - now that he's reduced his prices, I don't think there's much reason not to seriously consider one.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Skip's flutes are great and he's an awesome guy. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you search on 'healy' or 'skip healy' you will find multiple threads where people
say what they think of his flutes.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Yep...really good stuff...wish I hadn't sold my rod-key after all......
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

I've had 4 of Skip's flutes. :D Plus two fifes and a piccolo.

The first one I had I returned. Honestly I didn't keep it long enough to get used to it, or I wasn't ready for it yet.

I've also had two that were very good flutes.

But the other flute was one of the best flutes I've ever played! (IMO)

The other "Best Flutes" that I've owned are Jon C's Rudall and McNeilly's Pratten. So it's a very exclusive list.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice and input. Gordon, I should have clarified my question/statement. What I meant by "different beasts" was that Skip's design is his own and not copied directly from a Pratten. While it may have Pratten-like qualities, it is unique in its own right and therefore is different from any other flute (that at least I know about) out there. That's all.

Michael
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

MJ1619 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice and input. Gordon, I should have clarified my question/statement. What I meant by "different beasts" was that Skip's design is his own and not copied directly from a Pratten. While it may have Pratten-like qualities, it is unique in its own right and therefore is different from any other flute (that at least I know about) out there. That's all.

Michael
Yep, figured that's what you meant. But, really, very few makers make true Pratten copies, anyway - they're all hybrids of one sort or another.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think Gordon's earlier posts in this thread are right. I also think that the Healy is more the
maker's creation than are most neo-Prattens. I like the way they sound when I play them,
but I like more traditional Pratten flutes better, though
I still would be glad to have one of Skip's flutes. I find them very interesting.
Also they are more comfortable and easy to finger than some other Pratten-style
flutes.

I still haven't made up my mind on the visual aesthetics, though these flow
from functionality.

I just saw a good deal of Skip at the St. Louis Tional, first time I saw him.
He seems a lovely fellow and a terrific musician.
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

I just took delivery of a Healy 2 pc. Keyless one week ago, so I cannot speak to the keys. But, as to the instrument, I am very happy. I'm a long time fifer, since 1969, so I like that Skip is also a fifer and I think a sense of that experience may go into his design. I like his unique design style. to quote Skip, its like a "giant fife". Physically the flute is well balanced on the crux of the left hand thumb and forefinger joint. It honks and buzzes well when pushed, and can play sweetly, but I think, like a race horse, it prefers to be taken out for a hard gallup. I really like its reedy overtones. Took it to a small session this week and it got good reviews. The right hand finger stretch between R2 and R3 took me a few hours to get used to, as I am of medium build and have a thumb-pinky reach of about 9 1/4" . Workmanship is fine. Nice blackwood timber with nice straight grains and very few and very small burls barely noticable. The turnings where the rings and slides meet match up perfectly. The embouchure hole is a large elliptical with beveled edge. As others have stated, it takes a little work to get used to and to break in, then you really appreciate it. And a nod to Skip as a great guy and conscientious vendor. Overall, I would say, no need to wait, you can't go wrong purchasing from SKip. (Note, he is out of the country for several weeks. He was able to ship to me during his three days home between St. Louis and Europe.)
Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

fifenwhistle wrote:The right hand finger stretch between R2 and R3 took me a few hours to get used to, as I am of medium build and have a thumb-pinky reach of about 9 1/4".
Russ
Wow, Russ, with hands like yours, you should be playing bass bansuri, not little D flutes! :wink:

No, seriously, your finger spread is a large male hand-there are no D flutes out there that you should have a problem with for hole spacing, including the Low C,Bb or A flutes, though with those maybe piper's grip on the bottom hand should work even better. So, I'm thinking you are probably using your fingertips on the low hand also, and just need to get used to a flute instead of a fife, is that it?

My hand spread is about 7-1/2" to 7-3/4" depending how I stretch, and I can handle any flute I've tried down to a Bb (conical bore), using piper's on the bottom hand, standard on top. By the way, would you measure the distance from center to center between R2 and R3 on your Healy please? I don't have one now, but I noted some time ago that the Murray was practically the same in hole size and placement (stretch included), and it's not a hard one at all.

I just don't want to anyone who doesn't have a 9-1/4" finger to know that they can probably handle a Healy too, without much concern, if their hand size is smaller like mine.

Barry
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

greenspiderweb wrote:
fifenwhistle wrote:The right hand finger stretch between R2 and R3 took me a few hours to get used to, as I am of medium build and have a thumb-pinky reach of about 9 1/4".
Russ
Wow, Russ, with hands like yours, you should be playing bass bansuri, not little D flutes! :wink:

No, seriously, your finger spread is a large male hand-there are no D flutes out there that you should have a problem with for hole spacing, including the Low C,Bb or A flutes, though with those maybe piper's grip on the bottom hand should work even better. So, I'm thinking you are probably using your fingertips on the low hand also, and just need to get used to a flute instead of a fife, is that it?

My hand spread is about 7-1/2" to 7-3/4" depending how I stretch, and I can handle any flute I've tried down to a Bb (conical bore), using piper's on the bottom hand, standard on top. By the way, would you measure the distance from center to center between R2 and R3 on your Healy please? I don't have one now, but I noted some time ago that the Murray was practically the same in hole size and placement (stretch included), and it's not a hard one at all.

I just don't want to anyone who doesn't have a 9-1/4" finger to know that they can probably handle a Healy too, without much concern, if their hand size is smaller like mine.

Barry
Hi Barry: R2 to R3 stretch, center to center of holes is approx. 37mm to 38mm. I am used to playing fifes with a 25mm strech R2 to R3, so maybe it is mental and/or a matter of retraining muscle memory or something. My hand stretch is measured at max of 9 1/8 to 9'1/4" from tip of thumb to tip of pinky. I am not a tall person at 5'7" so maybe I have some Arangutang blood! Didn't mean to dissuade anyone from a Healy flute based on my brief adjustment period. I really like mine and recommend it highly. :)
Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Wow, I, too, am impressed with that pinky to thumb stretch. I just measured for the first time in a couple of years, and either I'm a growing 42 year old boy or your stretch improves with time playing a standard D flute. I am a bit surprised though that my left hand is about 9 & 1/8th inches but my right (I'm right handed) is only about 8 & 7/8th inches..
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

fifenwhistle wrote: Hi Barry: R2 to R3 stretch, center to center of holes is approx. 37mm to 38mm. I am used to playing fifes with a 25mm strech R2 to R3, so maybe it is mental and/or a matter of retraining muscle memory or something. My hand stretch is measured at max of 9 1/8 to 9'1/4" from tip of thumb to tip of pinky. I am not a tall person at 5'7" so maybe I have some Arangutang blood! Didn't mean to dissuade anyone from a Healy flute based on my brief adjustment period. I really like mine and recommend it highly. :)
Russ
Thanks for that measurement, Russ-the Healy's about 1-2mm longer than the Murray on the R2 to R3 measurement, but that's very close, and not a hard stretch-many are longer, some shorter. No, with your hands, it's just a matter of adjusting to the flute, coming from the fife, as you've said-it didn't take you long either.

Have a blast!
Barry
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The thumb-pinky stretch is kinda useless info for left hand hole placement, which uses neither thumb nor pinky (not talking keys here). If the holes are large or widely spaced, the stretch difficulty is often between the middle and ring finger, or the index and middle. My hand is a large - 9 plus inch spread - and I have a strong, sure stretch when playing guitar or bass (where I use my left pinky extensively). However, part of the difficulty may be finger thickness, not length. My fingers, though long enough, are thin, so I do have trouble on some large holed flutes, particularly my in-line Pratten, as the need to cover the larger holes diminishes comfortable, fluid playing a bit.