MAGICAL ELFSONG WHISTLE REVIEW!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andreaz54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andreaz54 »

Hi Everyone!! I just received my first and eagerly awaited Elfsong Whistle in the mail yesterday from Sandy Jasper!! WOW!!

This is an AWESOME whistle!! First of all, it is just visually stunning to look at! I will echoe the sentiments of another C&F member who said he didn't know whether to play it or just look at it all day!! I chose the "Golden Cotton Candy" color scheme. As Sandy describes it, it is pastel colors with a heavy dose of sparkles with an overwash that lends a green tone. Impossible for me to describe it except to say, as Sandy does, that it is VERY BEAUTIFUL. THis is a quality paint job too, you can tell it is going to stay this way like forever! And the FIPPLE!! Well, that is a work of art too! A beautiful golden copper color with a wonderful wooden inset that is finished on the underside so that all the beautiful woodgrain shows. Very highly laguered...high shine deluxe!! I could go on for many more paragraghs about the cosmetic beauty of this whistle...did I mention the slightly heavier weight that feels so good and substantial in the hand without being too heavy?? Again, AWESOME!!

But the sound!! Ahh...you all want to hear about that!! It is wonderful. Sandy says all her whistles sound a bit different. They are all little individuls! Well this whistle blows so sweet and soft...just what I wanted. Little or no chiff and very easy in the 2nd octave which is a sore spot for me. Sandy knew I play mostly at home and so would want a softer tone in my whistle. She took the time to find just the right components to give me the sound I wanted. I have been playing a Dixon soprano D and a Silkstone Goldring Soprano D..the latter I am crazy about. I really didn't think I could like another whistle as much (or possibly better??) until the arrival of the Elfsong. The fingering is very nice and easy to get a good seal. Just all pluses as far as I am concerned.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whistle came in a beautiful red velvet bag with the West Coast Logo and the word "elfsong" done in quality embroidery on the front. Sandy includes instructions as to care and even includes two great pipe cleaners which are a great aid in swabbing the decks when you have a "spitty" day!!

I am, as you can tell, blown right away. If any of you have been waffling about whether to give these whistles a try, my advice, for what its worth is DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!! Especially with the great sale that is on right now. And did I mention all the color choices?............I KNOW what I am going to be asking for at Christmas gift time!!

This whistle gets a name! If anybody knows any good elf names....send um on! I will appreciate it and it will save me tons of research. I know I can always count on you guys!

Thanks Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!
madguy

Post by madguy »

Gee, thanks a lot for this review. As if my WhOA isn't almost totally out of control. :grin:
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sigh...mine too! If I could find a whistle that plays as pretty as my O Briain "improved" and looks as pretty as one of those Elf Song whistles (or one of BrewerPaul's wooden beauties), I would be a very, very happy camper.

I never can talk anyone into giving me whistles for Christmas (even if I give them specific website or catalog info, they always say "we wouldn't know which to get you")...maybe I should just ask for $$$ for my WhOA fund.

Redwolf
madguy

Post by madguy »

On 2002-10-12 16:24, Redwolf wrote:
Sigh...mine too! If I could find a whistle that plays as pretty as my O Briain "improved" and looks as pretty as one of those Elf Song whistles (or one of BrewerPaul's wooden beauties), I would be a very, very happy camper.

I never can talk anyone into giving me whistles for Christmas (even if I give them specific website or catalog info, they always say "we wouldn't know which to get you")...maybe I should just ask for $$$ for my WhOA fund.

Redwolf
I know exactly where you're coming from, Redwolf. I soooo want a Busman before anything else and told the missus she and the kids could get me one for Christmas. Her reply? "Yeah, dream on."

Guess I'm gonna have to sell some of my rarely played whistles to buy all the new ones I want instead! But then, my collection would be diminished and I wouldn't have the most toys in the end.

Somebody help me, please!!!!!!!!

~Larry
C4

Post by C4 »

Everytime I think I have pinned down the whistle I finally want to buy someone goes and says something nice about a different one..The 3 I have been thinking on is the Elfsong, the Burke or possibly the WaterWeasel..So I finally settled on the Burke and now I have to change my mind again..As I originally loved the look of the Elfsong...Thanks for the review...I think I have finally settled on an Elfsong, now I have to come up with the money...
DRC

Post by DRC »

Redwolf,

Just my personal opinion, but I've played both and the Elf Song doesn't play <i>as</i> pretty as an O'Briain. It plays <i>prettier</i> than an O'Briain....and certainly more visually impressive.
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

Redwolf.......Don't despair, do what I do. Tell them "I will order it and you can pay for it and when it comes I will not look at it....I will give it to YOU to wrap up for Christmas. It always works for me...whistle wise and other stuff wise!

Hope this helps!....Andrea
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Did somebody say sale?! Music to my ears! Could someone give me a little more information on this fabled sale, and what the price would come to? Also do these whistles come in keys other than D? Gimme info, because it sounds utterly gorgeous! :smile:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
selkie

Post by selkie »

They come in D, F, and G and more probably all great sounding.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

O Starry Night,
My Starry Night,
Wherefore art thou, my Starry Night?

Alas, we are at the mercy
Of my rather clueless DH...
Though p'rhaps one day we shall unite,
And of wondrous music we will partake.

Gads, that was bad! :razz:

Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Stella

Post by Stella »

Names....
Puck!
Or anything out of Midsummer Night's Dream I daresay would be more than approptiate!

It sounds lovely! I saw those whistles online recently and fell in love, they are so beautiful!
Stella
madguy

Post by madguy »

On 2002-10-13 04:05, Stella wrote:
Names....
Puck!
Or anything out of Midsummer Night's Dream I daresay would be more than approptiate!

It sounds lovely! I saw those whistles online recently and fell in love, they are so beautiful!
Stella
Beautiful they are. I'd love to see the October special one in orange and black...

~Larry
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh happy day! Hubby just announced that he will be getting a profit-sharing check next week, and that "it'll be a good one". Our custom is for each of us to get ourselves a present with a bit of the profit sharing money (with the rest going into savings)...three guesses as to what I'm going to get with my share? The only question is, which color? Lovely natural copper? Basic black? Something a little different? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Happy wolfie
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Dear happy wolfie... you could get a Starry Night, and then write me to tell me how absolutely beautiful it is, how absolutely beautiful it sounds, and how I absolutely MUST get one immediately! And then forward a copy to my husband. :razz:

Andrea ~*~
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

I hate being a poor college student.
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.