Dating an an old Clarke whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Clive Brown

Dating an an old Clarke whistle.

Post by Clive Brown »

I am bit of a Clarke Original fan, and have just received an old C whistle bought on e-bay for under a fiver ! She plays wonderfully, far better than my contemporary Orinigal C. The whistle is styled in the old Clarke livery ie black lettering on bold gold surround, gold diamonds and a gold band around the airway. The wooden fipple has been sealed in place with a black substance around the edges. I have attemptedto attach some pictures but my inept IT skills have let me down !
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Dating an an old Clarke whistle.

Post by syn whistles »

Dating a Clarke? Is that a new take on "I love my whistle"? :love:
So good it has to be a SYN!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I was thinking the same. I'm awful fond of my Clarkes (sweet sounding black D and nickel C whistles, chosen after some trial and error) but choosing just one of them to date would be excessive, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Lecherous, maybe. But I'd still opt for the Clarke with the bloom on 'er cheeks.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

'Tis good manners to ask the whistle's parents permission first. Some parents will provide a maiden aunt as a chaperone.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Birthdate ca. 1990 means that both are over the age of majority. I'm in the clear!

~~

In fact, I still have my very first whistle, a Clarke that came in the Bill Ochs book+tape+whistle blisterpack. In traditional C, natch. Sadly, that whistle didn't survive the difficult 'teething' years with it's fipple unsquished, so it doesn't get played much.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Clive

That's the problem when you ask a question in a forum already certified as a lunatic asylum. Sometimes you get a valid or useful answer. Sometimes the thread takes an immediate left turn into the Twilight Zone.

I don't imagine there's any way to date your whistle Clarke has been making them in that pattern for a very long time. They've no doubt stamped them out by the thousands daily. Absent a serial number, it could just as easily be relatively new as a well-cared-for oldtimer.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues