feadog pro in brass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
doubleg

feadog pro in brass

Post by doubleg »

I bought a feadog pro from an ebay seller. The picture shown on the page looks like the feadog pro is in nickel with black fipple.

The order just arrived yesterday and my mom told me (I am away from home) that the whistle had arrived. I asked her to describe it and she said that it had a brass body with a green fipple.

So I asked her to take some pics which she did, the sticker says that it is a feadog pro but it looks just like the normal feadog whistles. Is there a brass feadog pro?

The picture being shown was an invitation to treat and based on that I made an offer to buy the item and my offer was accepted by the seller.

Steamwalker
antispam: No

Re: feadog pro in brass

Post by Steamwalker »

Never heard of a brass feadog pro. How thick is the wall of the tube? A pro is much thicker than a regular model.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Steamwalker wrote:Never heard of a brass feadog pro. How thick is the wall of the tube? A pro is much thicker than a regular model.
I think that the nickel-plated Pro has a thicker tube because of the plating.

If in doubt concerning your whistle, I would recommend contacting Feadog directly. They can tell you if there has ever been a brass "Pro" whistle line.

Go to the Feadog site, and select "contact us."

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I took a look at my Feadogs and that does appear to be correct - they both look to be of brass, although the Pro is either a thicker brass or has thicker plating. When comparing the nickel regular model and nickel pro model, it's easy to distinguish the two in hand due to the weight and thickness of the wall.
mcurtiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

my feadog pro is definitely nickel with a black fipple.
Whistle Shop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistle Shop »

Hi Doubleg,

All Feadóg Whistles have a Brass body as basic material. However, there are no Brass Pro Feadógs available.
The Pro type has an extra heavy nickel-plated (brass) body and a black mouthpiece.
If the eBay seller did send you a brass one with a green mouthpiece you have been ripped off!

Cheers & stay in tune!
Theo.
Cheers & Stay in Tune!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

As far as I can tell, the whistlehead is the same on the Feadog Pro and the regular Feadog. If the tube wall thickness is around .025", then you have a brass Feadog Pro (I'm not claiming that such a thing exists; I'm just saying that's what you would have if the wall thickness is around .025"). If the wall thickness is more like .015", then you have a mislabeled regular Feadog.

I wonder if it's possible that it was accidentally mislabeled at the factory. It's hard to imagine that a seller would intentionally change the labels. Not much to gain by such a deception.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Theo!

Welcome to Chiff and Fipple.

Best wishes,
Jerry
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'd be interested to hear what doubleg has to say since he got home and looked at the whistle. The pictures above look to me like the tube is chrome and I can't tell the color of the mouthpiece for sure. What say you, doubleg?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jerry's numbers are about right, though my Feadóg Pros measure closer to 0.020 inches at the bell end.

It's hard to tell from the photos because of the greenish tint (I assume that that place mat bottom is supposed to be white!). But the whistle looks to me like a standard green Feadóg non-pro head on a nickel-plated Feadóg Pro tube.

To the extent that Pro and non-Pro heads do seem to be identical, that would make this hybrid, in effect, a Feadóg Pro. But a non-standard configuration, as far as I know.

Yep, let's hear from doubleg ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Your picture looks like a Feadog Pro in every respect in my opinion, but if you received a brass-bodied whistle with a green mouthpiece, then I think it's likely that a simple mistake was made and you were shipped the wrong item - i.e. an original Feadog. The Feadog Pro has a nickle-plated brass tube and black mouthpiece that according to advertising I have seen, the design of has been modified slightly to be more forgiving for players who have not yet refined their breath control. I have two of them, and they certainly are a little different in that respect, but they still retain that traditional Feadog sound.

*added as edit* - As I compare the Pro to the original I am compelled to note that I think they share the exact same tube, just that the Pro has the nickel plating which makes it slightly thicker (the OD is slightly larger, and the ID is slightly smaller). It stands to reason in my mind that if we are going try comparing wall thickness on these tubes, we are going to come up slightly varying figures due to the plating, as a tube plated in one production run or "lot" probably won't be exactly the same as a tube from a different lot.
Playing, not paying.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

AvienMael wrote:if you received a brass-bodied whistle with a green mouthpiece, then I think it's likely that a simple mistake was made and you were shipped the wrong item - i.e. an original Feadog.
... with a black Feadóg Pro label. That's kind of the point here.

Again, we need to hear back from the OP.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.