Craicdown in NC nets Rob Sharer

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Craicdown in NC nets Rob Sharer

Post by crookedtune »

I just had to post a tip of the hat to our own Rob Sharer,Image
whose band, Craicdown, gave a great show this afternoon in downtown Raleigh.

Rob is a fantastic fluter, fiddler, guitarist, singer/songwriter, luthier and who-knows-what-else. Along with David DiGuissepe (accordion and Cittern) and Jim Roberts, (percussion), Rob delivered a great mixed set of Celtic, French, South American (Charo) and original music. God, they were hot!

And, to plug my own organization, (I'm the volunteer VP of this nonprofit agency), the concert was sponsored by PineCone, the Piedmont Council of Traditional Music. http://www.pinecone.org

Way to go, Rob! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Craicdown in NC nets Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Wowsers, just stumbled across this while surfing elsewhere on the net. Thanks ever so much for the kind words!

Rob
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Along with David DiGuissepe (accordion and Cittern) and Jim Roberts, (percussion), Rob delivered a great mixed set of Celtic, French, South American (Charo) and original music.
Just a minor clarification, if I may:

{from the Wikipedia entry}
Choro (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈʃoɾu], "cry" or "lament"), traditionally called chorinho ("little cry" or "little lament"), is a Brazilian popular music instrumental style. Its origins are in 19th century Rio de Janeiro. In spite of the name, the style has often a fast and happy rhythm, characterized by the virtuosism and the improvisations of the musician. Choro is considered the first (and most important) popular music typical of Brazil.

This, on the other hand, is Charo:

Alas, if you come out to see Craicdown, you'll hear choros but no Charo. Hope it's not too much of a disappointment!

Rob
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

IMHO, Charo was always more entertaining to watch than to listen to. :D
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Let's hope Craicdown has that situation somewhat reversed!

I detect a distinct lack of cleavage...
Joseph E. Smith

Rob Sharer wrote:Let's hope Craicdown has that situation somewhat reversed!

... yes, but you have a tambourine instead! :lol:
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Wow. People are going to be turning up at our shows looking for Charo playing a tambourine, instead of Jim Roberts playing the Pandeiro:
The pandeiro (Portuguese pronunciation: [pɐ̃ˈdejɾu]) is a type of hand frame drum.

There are two important distinctions between a pandeiro and the common tambourine. The tension of the head on the pandeiro can be tuned, allowing the player a choice of high and low notes. Also, the metal jingles (called platinelas in Portuguese) are cupped, creating a crisper, drier and less sustained tone on the pandeiro than on the tambourine. This provides clarity when swift, complex rhythms are played.

It is held in one hand, and struck on the head by the other hand to produce the sound. Typical pandeiro patterns are played by alternating the thumb, fingertips, heel, and palm of the hand.

A pandeiro can also be shaken to make sound, or one can run a finger along the head to create a "rasp" noise. The pandeiro is used in a number of Brazilian music forms, such as Samba, Choro, Coco and Capoeira music (see Capoeira songs). The brazilian pandeiro derives from the pandeireta or pandereta of Spain and Portugal.

Some of the best-known pandeiro players today are Paulinho Da Costa, Airto Moreira, Marcos Suzano, and Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro.

Artists such as Stanton Moore have taken its use a step further by mounting it on a stand and integrating it into the modern drum kit as an accent or effect percussion.
Here's Jim, not Charo, tearing up the Pandeiro: http://www.daviddg.com/craicdown/moleque.mp3

Cuchi Cuchi,

Rob
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm sorry Rob, but in purely picture form Charo wins...hands down.

Eric
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

I can totally live with that.

R
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I do appreciate the understanding. If it was between your band and Charo on the radio, I'd definitely choose your band...

Eric
Joseph E. Smith

Rob Sharer wrote:Wow. People are going to be turning up at our shows looking for Charo playing a tambourine, instead of Jim Roberts playing the Pandeiro:
The pandeiro (Portuguese pronunciation: [pɐ̃ˈdejɾu]) is a type of hand frame drum.

There are two important distinctions between a pandeiro and the common tambourine. The tension of the head on the pandeiro can be tuned, allowing the player a choice of high and low notes. Also, the metal jingles (called platinelas in Portuguese) are cupped, creating a crisper, drier and less sustained tone on the pandeiro than on the tambourine. This provides clarity when swift, complex rhythms are played.

It is held in one hand, and struck on the head by the other hand to produce the sound. Typical pandeiro patterns are played by alternating the thumb, fingertips, heel, and palm of the hand.

A pandeiro can also be shaken to make sound, or one can run a finger along the head to create a "rasp" noise. The pandeiro is used in a number of Brazilian music forms, such as Samba, Choro, Coco and Capoeira music (see Capoeira songs). The brazilian pandeiro derives from the pandeireta or pandereta of Spain and Portugal.

Some of the best-known pandeiro players today are Paulinho Da Costa, Airto Moreira, Marcos Suzano, and Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro.

Artists such as Stanton Moore have taken its use a step further by mounting it on a stand and integrating it into the modern drum kit as an accent or effect percussion.
Here's Jim, not Charo, tearing up the Pandeiro: http://www.daviddg.com/craicdown/moleque.mp3

Cuchi Cuchi,

Rob
I stand corrected. However, 10 to 1 says it still sounds like a tambourine. :D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Rob Sharer wrote:Let's hope Craicdown has that situation somewhat reversed!

They're facing the wrong way.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Sorry, I just can't face the empty, blue void.

Rob
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote:I detect a distinct lack of cleavage...
They're facing the wrong way.
Then they'd be ... Crack Down. Image
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Plumber's crack down.