NPU Cane

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
amckay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

NPU Cane

Post by amckay »

The batch I recently got seems to be very hard.... too hard to make a workable reed. Unfortunately my home grown stuff is in short supply. What's others opinions of npu supplied cane?
madfortrad

Re: NPU Cane

Post by madfortrad »

In a word RUBBISH !!!

Unfortunatly the cane that is sent out via post is never of that great a quality in fact it tends to be the stuff that was hand rejected by local makers or makers who are travelling through. The only way to get good cane form NPU is to be there and pick it yourself. With the two suppliers below im sure you will be able to come to some sort of arrangement.
Maybe given your locale and perheaps the difficulty of getting good cane, you should maybe looking into buying pre-gouged slips or ready formed heads. This may elimainate the cane problem for you and then you can worry about tying the head on to the correct steeple.

Regarding cane :

Contact Joseph Sampson on sampsoncane@gmail.com for quality Californian cane ( although you may find this stuff a bit "hard" ). However will make an excellent reed :D

or in Spain medir s.l for great spanish cane. They majority of makers arouund the world use this stuff!! You may find this more suitable in terms of hardness/softness.

This is a thread on the other forum regarding pre gouged slips and ready formed heads for sale

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtop ... f=6&t=1176

Hope this helps.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Fellow C&F member Mike Hulme was advertising French cane a few posts ago - mostly drone but may have some chanter stuff viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65691 which I have bumped up with a post

This will be hand selected

John
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

I have some very nice soft French chanter cane. PM me if you want more details.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

I'll take it.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I'll second the Mike Hulme cane. Very good stuff.

Nate
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hello
Not to step on Mr. Hulme's toes (I am aware that he has some very good soft French cane), but you'd like to try some California cane just drop me a PM also.
All the best,
Joseph Sampson
Sampson Cane- California cane
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
http://sampsoncane.com
amckay

Post by amckay »

Thanks guys. Might try both Californian and Mike's Spanish and compare results. I've only really used home grown cane (courtesy of Ian MacKenzie or Sydney's south coast) except for my recent NPU stuff.
Cheers
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hey all.

I recently acquired a couple of sticks of C. cane from Mr. Sampson and in my opinion, it is every bit as good as the stuff I have gotten from Ted Anderson. Lovely stuff altogether.

Haven't tried any of Mike's cane yet, it is on my list of "things to play around with". :D
madfortrad

Post by madfortrad »

I think Mike only has French cane.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

I have both French and Spanish Cane. As far as I can determine the only difference between the two is that the French stuff is softer internally, and has a slightly straighter grain. This means that the blades can be left thicker and the tone is mellower. Having seen Finbar Furey's video clips I note that the tube he was cutting his slip from was very long; I have not found such long pieces between nodes, but the stuff I harvest is dead straight.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org