Wired

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
roycustomknives
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by roycustomknives »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roycustomknives on 2002-10-04 10:04 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

:lol: That's a good one! :lol:

But how long do you reckon it will be before this thread turns into a debate over the evils of caffeine?
Reasonable person
Walden
the_instrument_player

Post by the_instrument_player »

LOL! I wish I had some of that energy! Let me be the first to comment on caffeine... as a college student, I just have to say, I LOVE THAT STUFF!! How would I survive without it??
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
madguy

Post by madguy »

If it weren't for coffee and Jolt, the midnight shifts I work would be near to impossible!!

Hey, if I got really loaded on caffeine would I be able to play the whistle faster???? :smile:
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

No way! They still make Jolt?! I haven't had that stuff since I was in high school in the 80's.... wow! Figured they would have outlawed it by now! :razz:

Andrea ~*~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-10-04 09:54 ]</font>
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Any opthalmologists looking for a soapbox can step up now.

Oh brother. :wink:

Jef
madguy

Post by madguy »

On 2002-10-04 09:54, aderyn_cyrdd wrote:
No way! They still make Jolt?! I haven't had that stuff since I was in high school in the 80's.... wow! Figured they would have outlawed it by now! :razz:

Andrea ~*~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-10-04 09:54 ]</font>
Not only do they still make it, now it even comes in different flavors besides the cola!
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Personally I prefer guarana soft drinks over thosw with caffeine -- the *buzz* lasts much longer and you don't crash as rapidly. My personal favourite is Red Devil Power Cola.

My only real problem with caffeine is that its a diuretic so if you drink a lot of caffeinated beverags you end up becoming dehydrated. Alas, guarana has the same effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-10-04 11:18 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-04 08:55, madguy wrote:
If it weren't for coffee and Jolt, the midnight shifts I work would be near to impossible!
I work night shift, too. My doctor told me I have to cut down on caffeine. I told him if I did, I might as well retire.

I drink so much coffee, my birthday is a national holiday in Brazil.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-10-04 12:07, blackhawk wrote:
My doctor told me I have to cut down on caffeine. I told him if I did, I might as well retire.

I drink so much coffee, my birthday is a national holiday in Brazil.
I'd advise you to listen to your doctor. If you are going to drink a lot of caffeine at least get your blood pressure checked <b>regularly and frequently!</b> I didn't, and at 40 I had my first heart attack. I had a second smaller heart attack a year later, and a quintuple bypass this spring. Granted, I am one of those persons with a genetic predispostion to high blood pressure, but I can't argue with the doctors that my smoking and caffeine use almost certainly brought the heart problems on about twenty years early...

Speaking of smoking. I used to joke that I would quit when I had my first heart attack. In April of 1998 the joke became real unfunny. I did keep my promise, though;-)

I used to drink three to four pots of coffee a day. I couldn't sleep more than about six hours because I would wake up with a caffeine headache. I had frequent headaches and probably used about thirty to forty extra-strength tylenol every month. I kind of figured getting a headache a few times a week was normal – if it wasn't, why were there so many non-prescription pain relievers at the supermarket, right?!

I haven't used caffeine for five years now and I can count the number of times I've taken tylenol for a headache, <b>during that entire period</b> on the fingers of one hand!

Oh, as for someone's mention of Jolt Cola...

<a href="http://www.joltcola.com">Jolt Cola</a>

...click the "Enter Flash site" link &#150; this could be called a "caffeine overdose simulator."

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OutOfBreath on 2002-10-04 12:30 ]</font>
madguy

Post by madguy »

Yo, chill!!!!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I don't drink alcohol, use street drugs, chase women or gamble, I try to eat right and exercise, and I keep my weight within the acceptabe range. I smoke maybe 10 cigars a year.

At my doctor's visit last week, my blood pressure was 120/74.

I drink 40 to 60 ounces of coffee a day. When I'm tired, I go right to sleep.

To paraphrase Hunter Thompson, I don't recommend it for everyone, but it works for me.

This public health announcement brought to you by:
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-04 11:12, garycrosby wrote:
Personally I prefer guarana soft drinks over thosw with caffeine -- the *buzz* lasts much longer and you don't crash as rapidly. My personal favourite is Red Devil Power Cola.

My only real problem with caffeine is that its a diuretic so if you drink a lot of caffeinated beverags you end up becoming dehydrated. Alas, guarana has the same effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-10-04 11:18 ]</font>
I'm not sure about this but I think that guarana is chemically very similar to caffeine. I'll now hand this one over to the repulsive Dr. Dagenschlock.

'Males over 40 who drink more than one cup of coffee a day can look forward to prostate problems.'

Will you please go now docter before I inject you with enough caffeine to send your prostate into orbit. Thank you.