Free (+P&P)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Free (+P&P)

Post by DrPhill »

I cant get on with my susato high D plastic whistle. It hasnt seen a lot of playing, and is probably in reasonable condition.

It is probably not worth a lot, so I thought I would donate it to a worthy recipient for the cost of P&P. I am not sure what this would be, since I do not know who will claim it and where they live. Cheaper than buying a new one, for sure.

If I get a lot of takers I will choose between (believable) sob stories (& contribution to C&F?). Alternately if any regular contributor has an idea of a suitable recipient..... If the sob story is really good I might even pay the postage as well.

Also if anyone can recommend an affordable more mellow high whistle I would be interested. Or is it just my lousy technique, and I should stay clear of high whistles?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Steve Bliven

Re: Free (+P&P)

Post by Steve Bliven »

DrPhill wrote:Also if anyone can recommend an affordable more mellow high whistle I would be interested. Or is it just my lousy technique, and I should stay clear of high whistles?
I've been very pleased with Jerry Freeman's Mellow Dog tweaked whistle. The one I have doesn't have that shrieking sound in the upper register that I found in others. Perhaps that is a way of saying it covers up my lousy technique... Anyhow, it works for me.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

You might want to mention what country you are in to lessen postage costs. I'm not asking for this whistle for myself but I would like to put someone else's name in the bag. Protean. I'm basing that on this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64987&start=0

It's fun to give away whistles. I'm giving away a C next week to a lady that has taught herself to play the piano by ear in the Key of C. I figure she can do the same with a whistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

mutepointe wrote:You might want to mention what country you are in to lessen postage costs.
Good point mutePointe:
"Great" Britain.

mutepointe wrote: I'm not asking for this whistle for myself but I would like to put someone else's name in the bag. Protean. I'm basing that on this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64987&start=0
Nice idea and thanks for the suggestion, but Protean already has one...... unless two are required?
Protean wrote: .........I have a Susato in D, and I rather like it. It has really nice tone and control and requires less air than my Sweetone.......
mutepointe wrote:It's fun to give away whistles.
Yes, and better here than freecycle. This forum helps me immensely, so its a small 'give back'.
Phill

jiminos

Post by jiminos »

perhaps you could donate it to Doc Jones at the Irish Flute Store with the request that the proceeds go the the orphanage that he regularly helps out. I think some of his children are from there. (i could be mistaken on that) But, it is near and dear to his heart and he often sells flutes and whistles from his site with all proceeds going to help the kids.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Perhaps you or the lucky recipient of the whistle could try a tweak that seems to sweeten Susatos. An "O" ring around the whistle, just below the mouthpiece does the trick. I forget when, but it has been mentioned on the C & F before, originally by Guru, I think.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

O'Brien wrote:Perhaps you or the lucky recipient of the whistle could try a tweak that seems to sweeten Susatos. An "O" ring around the whistle, just below the mouthpiece does the trick. I forget when, but it has been mentioned on the C & F before, originally by Guru, I think.
Yep. :-)

Susato O-Ring Tweak: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50113&p=655549

The Susato is not an ideal beginner's whistle. It takes some finesse to control, but yields to experience with great results - though with a characteristic sound that some people like and some don't. In its expressiveness and sensitivity to embouchure control, it stands up well to comparison with the most expensive "designer" whistle on the planet. The Susato C in particular is one of my all-time favorite whistles.

My O-ring tweak seems to be effective. I've had strangers show me their Susatos with the added O-ring, and explain to me that they got the idea from some guy on Chiff & Fipple ... :-)

So not to discourage the thoughtful generosity of your giveaway, Phill ... But as you advance, a year from now you may regret not having the Susato around.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks MTGuru. I just tried the o-ring tweak and the sound got a little better. I added a second o-ring upstream of the first I needed two as I wanted the second on the tapered bit nearer to the sound hole (correct name?), and the first holds the second in place. The sound got a little better yet.

It is going in the right direction. What reasonably priced whistle out there has a bit more back-pressure and a bit more mellow sound? I still prefer the lower register, and am more likely to put effort into a flute than into a high whistle.

Yes, my offer may be rash, but I will still honour it if someone can make a good case. I will even throw in the o-rings.
Phill

Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

I would ask for it but I don't know if I could even afford the P&P at the moment, and the only reason I would ask for it is because of what MT Guru said about Susato's a few post back. Obviously I've just shot my chances in the foot :puppyeyes:.

Mick :)

P.S There are many people more deserving people out there than me. That charity shop suggestion was a good idea.
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

You could try a Dixon Trad in brass from http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/ , seeing you're in the UK, postage will be cheap and the whistle is cheap too. It's a very mellow whistle and easy to play. The notes are clear and don't have a breathy sound. It's been a highly recommended whistle on these boards, it doesn't squeek but then again whistles usually don't, the people that play them might.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but....

Thanks for the comments and advice. I bought a Dixon Trad brass d as suggested, and yes the sound is much nicer. I am not good enough to blame susato, so it must be my technique. I may warm a little to the higher register now, though I suspect I will always prefer the lower register.

The susato is still on offer to a good cause.

Tony and Yasmin are good people to deal with, too - friendly and helpful.
Phill