Where to get a nice wooden case?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aaronjw

Where to get a nice wooden case?

Post by Aaronjw »

I'm about to buy my first Irish flute flute from Rob Forbes, and am considering the issue of purchasing a case for it. He offers for 15 dollars a soft vinyl case, but I'd like a wooden case, something a little nicer looking. So, any suggestions? On second thought, don't just tell me about wooden cases, tell me about whichever cases are best.

Thanks!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Where to get a nice wooden case?

Post by Denny »

okay....it isn't gonna be helpful though.

I don't use them.
I have a plastic (non-air tight) box that I store unkeyed wood flutes in.

I don't take the delrin ones apart often enough to put them in a case.
If I was traveling I'd take it apart and wrap it in something or put it a bag like Rob sells & chuck that in the suitcase.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Check with Doc Jones - I got one from him for my McGee GLP and it's a perfect fit (but mine was made for the GLP). Doc can at least point you in the right direction...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
G1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by G1 »

My Forbes sits on a stand beside me most of the time - but when I travel, I want protection. I bought a small aluminum poker chip case from here (cheap!):
http://www.flop2river.com/product_p/pns-pa-300case.htm

Then I ripped out the innards and slipped in a couple of custom cut pieces of foam. Practical, functional and inexpensive.
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
Aaronjw

Post by Aaronjw »

G1,

Thanks, that sounds like a good option. Even cheaper than Forbes' vinyl cases :o
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Aaron, if you search the forum there are old threads on this somewhere with assorted useful advice, including on the DIY poker chip case conversion.

Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52845&start=0&hilit=poker+chip+case
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50336&start=0&hilit=pistol+cases
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58243&start=0&hilit=pistol+cases

If you want a high-grade wooden case that is something really nice in itself for an expensive flute, look here!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Aaronjw

Post by Aaronjw »

jem,

I tried searching for "flute case" on the forums, but couldn't find anything other than stuff like "in this case", "just in case", etc. Thanks for the links.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You're welcome. Another thought - look on Solen Lesouef's website (link in the Makers List Sticky) - she has a connection with a guy who makes cases for her on demand - I daresay he'd take other orders..... only trouble is he's in Britanny, just as Andrew Crawford is in GB, so there'd be extra costs for carriage and a risk of getting hit for import taxes if, as I guess, you're not in the EU. There must be some equivalents in North America - just a case ( :D ) of finding a craftsman who either already does such work or would find it easy enough to do bespoke as a sideline from stuff he already does. You might find it worthwhile to web-search and real world search for box making/woodworking/joinery/cabinet making/woodturning clubs or evening classes within reach of you - not unlikely you could find a connection thus with someone with the requisite skills and equipment who might be willing........even a woodwork teacher at a local secondary school??????

Of course, as Denny has pointed out to me :oops: , Crawford's prices would be something of an overkill for a Delrin flute! (I forgot Forbes only does Delrin!) An addition to the ideas already given would be to look out on eBay for a 2nd hand Pakistani table-leg flute for under $20 - some of those have decent enough cases that would serve well for a delrin flute with maybe a littl adaptation, if not for a quality wooden one - just chuck the "flute" they belong to!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Aaronjw

Post by Aaronjw »

I had thought about getting an ebay flute and salvage the case, but most of the flutes on there are 150 dollars or so. I'm guessing those are Pakistani, cause they claim to be "blackwood".
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Quite a lot also claim to be "cocuswood" too. You don't want to look at the ones being sold new by e.g. Lark in the Morning - but various "pretend" flutes crop up second hand and go for low prices. Familiarise yourself from the new ones with what the various cases look like, then spot those on the re-sales....... On balance the poker case route is quicker and easier, especially with a cheap of them empty like G1 linked to......though they are rather bulkier than strictly necessary for a flute alone. Some Boehm flute cases are adaptable, but you'd need dimensions and pictures of the interiors to check that out. There are also quite good "gig bag" type padded woven nylon cases available for Boehm flutes that are apparently readily adaptable for a simple system flute and offer a half-way house between cloth "tool roll" type cases and proper hard ones - would be very adequate for a delrin flute.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've been using Doskocil and Case-gard gun cases for years and trust my most expensive flutes in them.

DoskoSport for the Pratten-style one-piece middle http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/produc ... rod=321271
Case-gard single gun for the Rudall-style. http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/produc ... rod=289845

Most expensive one: <$20 and they'll take a beating just fine.

Available at your local outdoor store such as Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc.

Even Dick's Sporting Goods and Sports Authority have them.

I even use a briefcase sized one for gigs when I have many flutes/whistles, etc

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/produc ... rod=289989