Can you buy fipples in bulk?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MoonMind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can you buy fipples in bulk?

Post by MoonMind »

For a school project on acoustics, we'd like to build whistles with our students; we've found a lot of recipes online, so the base is set. But we're not sure if we can manage to make the fipples. So the question is: Is there a way to get platic fipples in bulk - two or three dozens, cheap ones, but sufficiently reliable? I've searched the web, but the only ones I find are too good (and thus, too expensive) for us. Any suggestions? I see that some people build whistles using Sweetone heads - did anyone try and order them directly?

M.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Can you buy fipples in bulk?

Post by plunk111 »

If you're planning on making the PVC ones that are discussed here and elsewhere, all you need is a dowel (wood) of the appropriate diameter. You can just cut off "chunks" for each fipple. You could also look at buying a delrin rod for the same purpose.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Egad... I just saw a site that sold fipples separate from bodies... Can't remember for the life of me what site that was. A shame, too, because I seem to recall the chap had some other interesting bits I wouldn't mind picking up... I do recall that it was a link I followed from either a post or a signature on here, but that's about it!

Might not be the best for a school project, though... they were a bit pricey for such purposes... be cheaper just to buy a bunch of Feadogs or something.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

MoonMind wrote:For a school project on acoustics, we'd like to build whistles with our students; we've found a lot of recipes online, so the base is set. But we're not sure if we can manage to make the fipples. So the question is: Is there a way to get platic fipples in bulk - two or three dozens, cheap ones, but sufficiently reliable? I've searched the web, but the only ones I find are too good (and thus, too expensive) for us. Any suggestions? I see that some people build whistles using Sweetone heads - did anyone try and order them directly?

M.
How many do you need?

I have a box of new Waltons C whistleheads that would be fine for making whistles in D, C and probably another key or two. I'll be happy to send you as many as you need for free.

Best wishes,
Jerry
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Protean wrote:Egad... I just saw a site that sold fipples separate from bodies... Can't remember for the life of me what site that was.
It was probably the whistle shop...

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... ieces.html

P.S., Jerry is the man.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

fearfaoin wrote:It was probably the whistle shop...
Actually, it wasn't. I wasn't even aware that The Whistle Shop sold fipples separately, and I'm browsing that site generally at least once a week... Guess I always just head straight for the whistle page! :p

Also, yes, Jerry is the man. You never cease to amaze me, Mr. Freeman.
MoonMind

Post by MoonMind »

Jerry Freeman wrote: How many do you need?

I have a box of new Waltons C whistleheads that would be fine for making whistles in D, C and probably another key or two. I'll be happy to send you as many as you need for free.
Jerry,

that's more than generous! I need 40 or more, but I can also work with only 20 (two people one whistle). If we can fix this somehow, I'll be glad to make good for it somehow (it's not too difficult to think of a way, really - I'm thinking about the Blackbird anyhow...). I'll send a PM with the details as soon as you confirm availability...

M.

P.S. To all who commented: It's pretty darn tough to convince other whistle smiths to part with parts otherwise (I tried, believe me) - Jerry's offer is simply great!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I have 140 of them. If you can use them all, I'll be happy to send the lot.

Best wishes,
Jerry
MoonMind

Post by MoonMind »

That's marvellous! :D PM sent.

M.