Christmas whistle stuff

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adrian W.

Christmas whistle stuff

Post by Adrian W. »

Anybody get any new whistles or related stuff? I got a couple of books (including the Grey Larsen) and a Micho Russell CD (gave those to myself). Also, had a money gift this year, so I went out yesterday afternoon and bought the MacNeil low D I've been worrying about......beautiful whistle, head and shoulders over the Merlin I've been struggling with. I'm very happy with it.

Pouring down rain in Cape Breton this morning.....Merry Christmas to all, and hope you're having a great morning with your loved ones.

Adrian
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Re: Christmas whistle stuff

Post by Carey »

I shipped a number of whistles to folks for Christmas, does that count? Makes me feel like an outpost of Santa's workshop.

The flute I bought several months ago was declared my Christmas present, so I'm going to go play it now.

Wishing everyone a good Christmas day,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
henryz
antispam: No

Post by henryz »

A Blackbird came to roost, here. I really like the voicing on this whistle and haven't found the low D and E notes to be finicky at all.
riverman

Post by riverman »

A couple of weeks ago I received a Burke low A in aluminum for my "birthmas" present (Christmas and September birthday combined) This whistle is superb, and easy to play once I got my sloppy finger placement fixed. I love to descend into those lower notes.

Sooo, I wasn't expecting another whistle for Christmas, but my wife surprised me with a Clarke Original in D to replace the one I lost while backpacking in the Monongahela National Forest this year. I mourned that whistle publicly and often--I think my wife got the hint!
So, today, I took it downstairs to my "practice room" (where the furnace is!) and used the finest possible sandpaper to smooth out the fipple block, both the airway and where my lower lip goes. It smoothed out the tone. I beveled the sharp edge at the front of the fipple block--a bit too much, I was surprised how soft the cedar was. Fortunately, I didn't ruin it.
I was surprised that this new Clarke needed only the tiniest of "thumbnail tweaks" almost nothing. It is also quieter than my previous ones. Have they changed the Clarke original? As soon as I can buy some fingernail polish remover and Q tips, I will remove the gold diamonds and gold markings below the Clarke trademark and the "D." This will give me a genuine Dale Wisely's Naked Black Splendor!
This is a sweet playing little whistle; I have to play it softer than my previous Clarkes, but it doesn't blow me away in high B. Now I'm ready for my next mission trip!

So, my new expensive Burke and my utterly inexpensive tinwhistle gave me equal amounts of joy today!!

Love to you all-- MERRY CHRISTMAS! God bless you!!

--Kelly
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

riverman wrote:...my wife surprised me with a Clarke Original in D...
Ouch.

Been there, done that, got the stitches to prove it.
Tia

Post by Tia »

I got a dixon flute, and was deffinitly not expecting it, so it was all the more exciting to get :)
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

A few months ago, I splurged for a Burke Brass Viper. (DLBVP)

It's been "Christmas" ever since!

The powerful "foggy resonance" makes for carols of comfort and joy. Yes!

Happy Day, all.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
deisman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Adrian,

My new toy is a Lochlan low D from Greg Russell that I've had for about a month - close enough to qualify? I'm also hoping to get a Forbes flute in the near future.

We had a sunny day today in Indianapolis for Christmas today,... good for traveling.

Best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
wvshooky

Post by wvshooky »

Got a new Blackbird in C from my daughter! Sweet, sweet tone.

Also got a new whistle bag. Guess my wife thought I should keep my whistles in one place...
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

i got a copy of "Ireland, a Bicycle and a Tin Whistle" from my in-laws and some fun money from the family which will go towards a Dixon Duo Low D whistle/flute :thumbsup:
riverman

Post by riverman »

hoopy mike wrote:
riverman wrote:...my wife surprised me with a Clarke Original in D...
Ouch.

Been there, done that, got the stitches to prove it.
:lol: :lol:

A Musing: I know the feeling!

Deisman: Yes, that's close enough to qualify!

Mcurtiss: A very well written book, with some fun stories.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

My "whistle" stuff came in the day after Christmas .... but it's a flute. Got a Casey Burns boxwood flute with 2 keys. Soooooo cool!

gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I made myself a Christmas present: a Copley and Boegly delrin Irish flute. Fabulous !
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We are close to 4 boys (2 sets of cousins.) The oldest boy came to our house back in November to say, "Get me an ocarina for Christmas." I replied, "You are mocking me." He said he wanted to learn the Zelda song. That made sense. We got all the boys and me ocarinas for Christmas. They had a blast Christmas Eve.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

I considered as my Christmas gifts the C whistles (and one D, it was a set) that I bought in early December.

In truth, though, the best whistle-related gift I got was my folks getting all my family whistles for Christmas after hearing me play. I even got to give an impromptu lesson to a niece and a nephew. My brother, dad, and I played along a bit with one another, too, which was great, even if it didn't sound so great... :) They all listened to me play a song or two, as well. My hope: that they'll truly find the whistle as enjoyable as I do. It'd be great to have a whole family of whistlers.