Encore Music/Brass Tin whistle D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SunnyWalker

Encore Music/Brass Tin whistle D

Post by SunnyWalker »

I just ordered my first tin whistle from Encore Music. A one piece brass tin whistle. It is all metal (brass). No plastic fipple. I am just starting and does any one have any advice about this type of whistle? The plastic fipples just do not appeal to me. I also am interested in the sounds of the A whistles. Any in put would be appreciated.
-SunnyWalker :tantrum:
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Encore Music/Brass Tin whistle D

Post by Scott McCallister »

Welcom to the board. :party:

Never heard of your whistle. There are lots of all metal makes out there, but most have at least a bit of plastic or other material as the fipple.

Don't write off the plastic ones completely though, there are some prize finds out there.

Check the board frequently... there are usually lots of good discussions about materials and such
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

SunnyWalker

Post by SunnyWalker »

Sure, I will keep checking. But the photo when you enter Chip and Fipple-he has this type of one piece-no plastic- whistle. Is this type only for the advanced players? Thanks. :-?
SunnyWalker

Post by SunnyWalker »

Encoremusic.com
This is where I purchased the Tin whistle. I was looking for a one piece, not roolled metal, all metal with no plastic fipple. :-?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have a couple of all-brass (or at least mostly brass-like) metal whistles, which I suspect came from India. One's in low A and the other Bb. The A is a sweet-sounding instrument although best in the bottom octave. The Bb is badly tuned and unplayable.

I'd play the A more, but there's no way to tell what metals are in the solder holding the fipple together. It's whiter than the brass, and I suspect it of being an alloy of lead.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

SunnyWalker wrote:Sure, I will keep checking. But the photo when you enter Chip and Fipple-he has this type of one piece-no plastic- whistle. Is this type only for the advanced players? Thanks. :-?
that'd be a low whistle?

Shaw make all metal high whistles (with a wooden fipple) and then there's the Clarke original.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

SunnyWalker wrote:I was looking for a one piece, not roolled metal, all metal with no plastic fipple.
Why ????
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Seconding Simon. Nondescript brass whistles are often from
India. The picture on the Encore site certainly looks like one.
I lived in India for three years and in my experience metal
whistles from the third world can have ANYTHING in them.
Well worth avoiding, simply for health reasons.

A standard plastic headed whistle is a good place to start.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Yup. The one in the photo on the Encore site is an Indian-made whistle. Been there and done that. I very clearly remember trying three of them in the key of D several years ago out of curiosity. Bought one....returned it for a replacement. Returned the replacement for another replacement. Finally returned the second replacement. Why? None were anywhere near the key of D and they were basically simply crap. Some of the notes sounded ok, but most were pretty awful. On top of that, all three whistles (if you can call them whistles) had an odd lingering taste that made me a bit leery of even placing them in my mouth.

BTW, the whistle in the photo to which you're referring being playing by Bernard Overton when you enter the C&F site is an all-metal Overton low whistle. And yes, it's definitely for advanced players...and not cheap.

Since you're just beginning, I'd agree with Scott and Jim and suggest not writing off whistles with plastic mouthpieces and/or fipples.
Protean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

I suppose I could see someone wanting to avoid a plastic fipple. It could be considered that they make the whistle look even more like a kid's toy (which seems to be a relatively common perception of whistles). If you really want to go all metal, I'd say go Clarke Original, as many have already suggested. Plenty of sites sell those. That said, nothing's wrong with a plastic fipple. Heck, nothing's wrong with a plastic whistle! The great majority of whistles out there seem to be metal w/ plastic fipple, including many high-end whistles.

Just get over the "all metal" hang up and get yourself any number of the fantastic whistles out there.

Or don't, and get yourself a Clarke Original. Then get over your hang up and get some more whistles, this time with plastic fipples.

Every whistle I own has a plastic fipple, and one whistle is all plastic. They all sound lovely, too. At least they would if I could play better... they sound lovely to me, anyway. :)

That reminds me... I want to get a Clarke Original... maybe after Christmas.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

When I was new (some 3-4 months ago), I didn't like the idea of plastic fipple either.
It didn't seem very authentic to play an old type of instrument with a plastic mouthpiece.

Then, it occurred to me that it's the music that is important (no sh*t, Sherlock). People claimed the plastic fipple was a great improvement for whistles, so I tried it out. Now I don't really care if it's plastic. You get used to it.