Burke Viper : brass or aluminum ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gerardo1000

Burke Viper : brass or aluminum ?

Post by gerardo1000 »

I just got a few days ago a Burke Viper low D in aluminum, and I am very happy with it.
I did not have the chance, before ordering it, to compare the aluminum and the brass version.
Therefore, out of curiosity, I would like to know which are the main differences in sound between the two.
Can anybody help ? Thanks !
ned o the hill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Burke Viper : brass or aluminum ?

Post by ned o the hill »

Have both; love both.

Brass has more volume, warmer "fuller" sound (not sure how to better describe), but whistle is quite a bit heavier.

To me aluminum is much more sensitive to metal temp; I sit on it while playing bodhrán or tuck fipple end in my pocket.

Can't go too far wrong with either....
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

I have both, too.

The Aluminum Viper is leaner and lighter, in both sound and weight. A brilliant whistle, with a bit of huskiness in the low end, and brighter, with incredible clarity in the high end.

The Brass Viper is a heavyweight marvel. Has a more misty and diffused sound. Deep resonance. Warm and comforting, to me. Love the thing! Though it is much more of a physical load than the aluminum Viper, it still has the basic good ergonomics of a Burke.

Mike's work, in my estimation, (after ten years of playing lows) continues to improve. This Brass Viper has been a wonderful surprise (the sound, and bodacious bell, in particular), and is the source of many hours of pleasure.

Thank you, Mr Burke.

Warning. I am not an expert, and any opinions given are the sole responsibility of himself. If you have any trouble with your choice of whistles, do see an expert.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

A-musing, please forgive my limited command of English: can you explain what "huskiness" means ? Do you mean that the aluminum one is a bit more "breathy" than the brass one ?
Is the brass one more "creamy" in sound ? Also, are these differences very noticeable to the point where it would be good to have both ? Thanks.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

It would be great to hear a side-by-side sound comparison of these two whistles!
I am struggling to understand what those sound descriptions mean.
Hearing is better than a hundred words.

~Hans
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

hans wrote:It would be great to hear a side-by-side sound comparison of these two whistles!
I am struggling to understand what those sound descriptions mean.
Hearing is better than a hundred words.

~Hans
You are very right. Personally I choose aluminum over brass in just about every whistle, but I would love to hear both played. I have only played aluminum Viper though, so I really can't give advice on the brass.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I don't know if it will help, but the low D I play in Devondancer's Christmas Carol ...

http://chiffychristmas.googlepages.com/home

... is a brass Viper.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I really enjoyed that Byll, that had a great tone, sound, and it was great playing.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Thank you, WC...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Byll...

Thanks, for that. Beautiful.

As I recall, you are an old Viper (aluminum) player and lover. So it says something, that you have taken to the new Brass Viper.

They are two wonderful instruments. I kind of think of the Brass Viper as the Big Brother of the two. Bigger and heavier and more solid in every way. A Beaut.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

A-Musing wrote:I kind of think of the Brass Viper as the Big Brother of the two. Bigger and heavier and more solid in every way. A Beaut.
Bigger? Has it got a bigger bore diameter?

~Hans
Byll

Post by Byll »

A-Musing: I play two low D instruments, one a Burke, the other a Goldie Overton. I was totally satisfied with my aluminum Viper. It was used a lot - for a number of years. I had no intention of changing Vipers, even though there had been some model changes. I heard about the brass Viper via the C&F grapevine, and was interested, and found the price fair, but out of my present economic league. I do prefer thin-wall brass to thin-wall aluminum instruments. A band-mate (ess) of mine purchased my aluminum Viper, and Mike then picked a fine brass replacement for me. I have played it in rehearsal and at a wedding, but Devondancer's carol was its first recording outing.

Hans: I have never understood why players seem to feel that the brass instrument is so much more substantial or heavy than the aluminum... I am sure there is a difference, but it truly does not strike me as dramatic. The bores seem the same to me, but I have not measured the instruments. Playing characteristics between the two are virtually identical. The person who purchased my original Viper really prefers the aluminum whistle. They are both such fine instruments.

Cheers.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Post subject: Re: Burke Viper : brass or aluminum ?

I don't know if it will help, but the low D I play in Devondancer's Christmas Carol ...

http://chiffychristmas.googlepages.com/home

... is a brass Viper.
Bravo, Byll and Tweety and Devondancer!
Hans: I have never understood why players seem to feel that the brass instrument is so much more substantial or heavy than the aluminum... I am sure there is a difference, but it truly does not strike me as dramatic. The bores seem the same to me, but I have not measured the instruments. Playing characteristics between the two are virtually identical. The person who purchased my original Viper really prefers the aluminum whistle. They are both such fine instruments.
I exchanged emails with Mike Burke before he released the brass Viper. Mike assured me that the design of both the aluminum and brass whistles are the same. Pick your favorite color. Pick your preferred weight. They'll play the same and sound quite similar.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

My Aluminum Viper, '06, is considerably lighter in weight than my new Brass Viper.

The whole head structure is slightly wider and heavier, on the brass.

They're both Vipers, yep. But the brass, IMHO, is not only heftier, but the sound is more solid, end-to-end, and has a more textured quality.

The aluminum has a "leaner" sound, to me. Spare. Especially in the upper end.

I like both. But am currently enamored with the incredibly easy-on-the-ears mellowness of the Brass. That slightly breathy diffusion. Yet still deep and resonant.

If I had to have just one, it'd be the Brass Viper.
Byll

Post by Byll »

A-Musing: You will find that the new aluminum Vipers have the same technology heads as the new brass. Mike is (in)famous for his minor adjustments that quickly find their way into production. And I mean that with affection and respect.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'