Request for an official Chiff & Fipple Pipers' List

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Request for an official Chiff & Fipple Pipers' List

Post by Dale »

I've received a request from a pipemaker as follows. I've removed names, only because I haven't asked permission to include them.
Is there any place on Chiff & Fipple where a bagpipe business like ..... and others like myself who supply pipers with the tools of their avocation can advertise? Yes I have read your policy on commercial posts but it seems to me that all pipers are dependent on those of us who supply the products they take great pleasure in using. Why not have a separate page that lists these people with their contact information? You would be providing a valuable service to the piping community and I should think it would encourage participation in your chat rooms.
I wrote back and indicated I'd be more than happy to compile a list similar to the flute list

https://sites.google.com/site/cfwoodenflutemakerslist/

and he indicated that would be lovely. I'd actually include more contact details at the discretion of the maker/supplier.

I know of at least one other list on the web, but I gather there's a need for this or the request wouldn't have come.

I'm doing some thinking about how to proceed, but before I do, I just thought I'd throw this open for a general discussion and see what kind of reactions and ideas come up.

Best,

Dale
Cayden

Re: Request for an official Chiff & Fipple Pipers' List

Post by Cayden »

Na Piobairi Uilleann supplies a exhaustive Directory of Pipemakers on their website. That should sort everybody out without the need for advertising here.

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Peter Laban wrote:Na Piobairi Uilleann supplies a exhaustive Directory of Pipemakers on their website. That should sort everybody out without the need for advertising here.
Peter, the request is inclusive of the broader smallpipes community, not solely Uilleann pipes. The individual making the request, in addition to being an Uilleann and Scottish smallpipe maker, also provides reedmaking supplies and various styles of bellows which are of interest to smallpipers in general.

Dale, I think such a list would be beneficial, assuming the following:

1. It needs to be maintained. A list of broken or dead links does no one any good.
2. It needs to be accessible. Maybe a sticky in the Uilleann and Other Bagpipes forums? I would be willing to provide a link on The Pipers' Gathering website. Might also be able to get a link on the Dunsire forums.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Dale wrote:I've received a request from a pipemaker as follows.
Is there any place on Chiff & Fipple where a bagpipe business like ..... and others like myself who supply pipers with the tools of their avocation can advertise? /quote]

and he indicated that would be lovely. but I gather there's a need for this or the request wouldn't have come.

Best,

Dale
This looks at first glance to be someone wanting to sell pipemakers tools....and he indicated it would be lovely.Of course it would.. saves him advertising and it would be free no doubt.
I agree wi Peter there is no need for this.
As for Mark chipping in wi it being part of the broader smallpipe community, I for one do not consider the term smallpipe is applicable to Uilleann Pipes.If'n he wants to provide some interest for the smallpipe community fine put it on the non-uilleann pipe forum thats what it is there for surely :-? We have enough trouble as it is wi oot inviting the world to join us.Where does it stop?
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Well, the question was posted here and from the perspective of the Uilleann pipes I feel the ground has been covered pretty well. I much like the forums without people flogging their wares if you don't mind.

It seems the need you refer to (for a place to advertise) is felt by the advertiser. Yeah right, I bet he feels the need.

[Liam got in just before me I see]
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I wouldn't have a problem with one dedicated threat being set aside for pipemakers to advertise their wares. Maybe the commercial policy could be changed so that makers would post only to a specific thread, and be limited in the number of such postings in any one month.

The NPU list is generally very good for uilleann pipers, but in the past it has been slow to remove out of date information (old telephone numbers, retired pipemakers). I don't know what it's like these days.

Uilleann pipes as small pipes? I always thought the term small pipes was only used to differentiate between Great Highland Bagpipes and Scottish Small Pipes? How about a compromise - "expensive pipes". :wink:
PJ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

one dedicated threat
Freudian slip? Image
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Laban wrote:
one dedicated threat
Freudian slip?
:lol:

Speaking only for myself, I think that discussion boards like this are best suited for ... discussion and dynamic content, and are an awkward medium for maintaining lists and other more static resources, commercial or otherwise, that are better hosted on regular websites (including, perhaps, the main C&F site). If the requester (or anyone) wants to compile, host, and properly maintain the list in question elsewhere, I'm sure it would get mentioned and pointed to here as appropriate, just as any other useful internet resource or list, knowledge of which is in common circulation here on the board. And the maintainer is free to classify smallpipes, bigpipes, inbetweenpipes, drainpipes, etc. as their own lights dictate.

I think features like sticky FAQs and "lists of lists" can work well on a board, but that's a different and larger issue. There's also some discussion underway now about segregating and presenting commercial content and activity here in a more systematic way, and that's an open issue at the moment.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

I concur with Peter & Uilleam
There has recently been a clearout of stickies so adding another would start the cicle of too many again
NPU list is fine and another facility exists over on the Uilleann Discussion forum under "PIpes for sale" for them to advertise and sell their wares although I find it strange that in these time where demand outstrips supply that a maker would need to tout for custom and if so why ?
John
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

From oor very own FAQ's

#4) I'm ready to buy a set of pipes, where do I find a list of makers?

Here are some pipe maker lists...
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/links_makers.html
http://www.pipers.ie/en/pipemakers.lasso

..................................................................................................................................................................
Now then ye will find 2 lists here unfortunately the NPU one isn't obtainable because the address has changed, but no one bothered to amend it here.
This is the correct address
http://www.pipers.ie/makerlist.asp
So ye see we cannot keep oor own hoose in order but are quick aff the mark to dissy NPU :really:
We already have two lists how many do ye need??? :shock:
I say let the smallpipe makers go to their own wee forum and gi us peace.
Uilliam

ps it is Uilliam not Uilleam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

Serious vendors can also easily buy advertising space in both the Piper's Review and the NPU journal.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

We've also maintained a rather larg-ish list of makers, clubs, and reedmaking suppliers on the SLCP site for about five years now:

http://www.uilleann.org/Links.html

While not all-inclusive certainly, and obviously well duplicated several times over on larger site's like Fr. Pat's and NPU, it's been a great resource to many looking for info concerning the above.

Is this maker asking us to post personal contact info on the open internet? No thanks. Been fighting off that spam for years. :really:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, ok then. Thanks to all.
reedbiter

Post by reedbiter »

It seems ironic (at the very least!) that people in the US are trying so VERY desperately to get their names OFF of businesses address books...where bills are passed and programs set up such as the various "do not call list".

Frankly I would never want to be pandered to and advertised at by any pipemaker or craftsman of any sort. Frankly if their wares are good enough business will come to them. As it is I am CONSTANTLY being flooded with emails and correspondence originating from Pakistan...(did anyone ever notice that ALL the pakistani pipes all come from the town of Sialkot?! It's true, do your own research)

Ultimately, a list such as this would only benefit the maker in question. I simply cannot see how it could benefit the pipers therein listed.

...my meager 2 cents worth...

David Boisvert
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Seth Gallagher has a piper's list, sorted by state and country. I am on it and have been for about 7 or 8 years and I have received communications from people on occaision. But those communications have all been from people seeking musicians to play at a wedding, with a group, or for some other event. It has not been like junk mail, spam or anything (so far). I have also received emails from new pipers reaching out to find help and to look for local advice.

Neil