A Message from Brian Howard

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Message from Brian Howard

Post by Dale »

Here's a message from Brian Howard.
-----------------------------------------------------

Back in February this year here at Howard Music we were asked if “Howard” flutes were available directly from us. As, at the time we did not make or supply flutes we were a little puzzled. Also a very good flute repairer, Stephen Howard (no relation, view his web site here) informed us that he had discovered a website advertising flutes and other woodwind instruments for sale under the “Howard” name.

Despite letters and phone calls to the company informing them that they would be using the name without permission, the instruments went on sale. We received complaints about the quality of the instruments and Trading Standards became involved. The company ceased selling these instruments under the “Howard” name in July 2008 and renamed the products.

The reason for relating this story is that there may be fake “Howard” flutes for sale second-hand.. For example an un-hallmarked “solid silver” flute that is not Howard or solid silver. Brian has a punch registered with the Punch Master at the Sheffield Assay office and a “Howard” silver flute could have caused us legal problems It is difficult to inform customers exactly what parts of a flute is silver and which parts are plated under UK law, you can only refer to the silver parts of a mixed material instrument as “a white metal” unless the other material is easily distinguished from the silver parts. (New legislation 2007). So that the Howard flute that went on sale in March cannot have been hallmarked because the base metal parts are not distinguishable from the silver parts as they are silver plated.

Any maker of traditional instruments who is making a name for him or herself should think of protecting that name. You can do this through the Intellectual Property Office in the UK. The fees are not too bad and if we, from the start of this dispute, had the protection of a registered trademark we could have saved much time and money.
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Re: A Message from Brian Howard

Post by springrobin »

Hmm, very interesting. I wonder how many of our U.S. makers who distribute overseas have foreign trademark registrations. Most probably haven't registered even in the U.S. While it's not required here, it does provide publice notice & record of a trademark owner's rights.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Thanks, Dale.

Good info.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Linda

Post by Linda »

I am a professional flautist who purchased one of these instruments for my daughter. It was immediately clear to me that something was wrong. This was one of many issues i'd had with the supplier so I decided to contact Howard directly. I was horrified to learn that this instrument had not come from the Howard workshop. Indeed, the seller had used the name, and quality of craftmanship that it stands for, as the main selling point of the instrument.

Needless to say, I got rid of it immediately! My daughter is now the proud owner of a real Howard flute, and what a flute!
I've been teaching and performing for over 16years and am so impressed by this flute that I am determined to have one for myself. The tonal quality is rich and full bodied. The flute simply wants to be played, blowing easily in the extremes of register that can so often be difficult and frustrating for many flautists. On the day that the flute arrived I couldn't help but have a play before my daughter came home from school. I had to force myself to pack it away. What a lovely instrument to play. It is as at home with Bach as it is with Poulenc. It has all the neccessary delicacy needed for Mozart and the depth of character for Hindemith. I have been blown away by this instrument.

One of my students expressed a desire to upgrade having passed grade 5 ABRSM. She now plays a Howard and regularly squeaks with delight when she plays things easily, that before she was finding difficult. Both my daughter and this student have found the transition to open holes an easy one (hole diameter varies in flutes of different manufacture - yamaha holes are much bigger and therefore more difficult at first, Myazawa are comparable to Howard) They are now much more connected to their instrument and the music in a way that you simply cannot be on a closed hole (boehm system) flute.

Although I am classically trained I play and encourage my students to enjoy different genres of music. Having been so impressed by the Howard flute i decided that i ought to see what a Howard whistle was like. I allready owned a whistle but had found it 'lacking', and like so many Classical musicians had just written it off thinking that was as good as it would get. How wrong i was! I have LOVED my Howard Low D since the day it arrived. There is not a day goes by that i don't play a tune on the whistle now!

It has also become a very important teaching tool for me. My little flautists who struggle to find their diaphragm - have no trouble once they've played the whistle. It's also more immediate for them - their eyes light up when i pass the whistle to them! They love it! It enhances their flute playing and also their enjoyment of music. So many of them want a whistle of their very own now that it's become an incentive for them to learn. One student has written a piece for whistle as part of her GCSE composition coursework and went away from tonights flute lesson humming 'the day after the fair' trying not to forget it on the way home! They love working without music - they were terrified of it before, but the whistle has broken down that barrier for them. I truly believe that all classical flautists should own and play the whistle.

What began for us as as an awful mess with a 'fake' Howard has actually led to a very happy situation with many young flautists benefiting in a variety of ways. I strongly recommend these stunning flutes and whistles to classical and trad musicians alike. :D
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

cool - "little flautists struggling to find their diaphrams"... glad it had a happy ending...

Deisman
I'm on it...
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hi Linda -
thanks for your review of the Howard open-hole Boehm system flute, and your story! Makes me think about how much frustration beginners may encounter because of inadequate instruments....

Howards say that they commissioned the flute, as a new addition to their musical instruments range. So I wonder who actually builds these, and what work Howard is putting into it, apart from the seal. How is it done in the modern world of silver flute manufacturing?

Your experience with Howard low D whistles sounds intriguing. Has anyone got a sound recording with a Howard low D I can listen to?

Cheers,
Hans
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi Hans,

I've just had that very conversation with a poor parent who watched his daughter's flute fall apart in her school assembly this morning. I see so many kids struggling with really poorly manufactured instruments and worse still, judging themselves to be no good and giving up because of it. It's sooooooo frustrating!?

Regarding the Howard - I understand that Brian Howard has been extremely active in the design and development process of the Boehm flute he now sells. I've spoken to him on numerous occassions and he really knows what he's talking about regarding the science of music (great musician too!). There is definately a distincitive "Howard" sound that translates from the whistle to the flute. I have recordings of myself playing Yamaha, Myazawa and intend to record the Howard. I will be putting a clip of my Emily playing her Howard flute onto u-tube in the next week or so. I don't understand the science of it that much myself but i know when i like an instrument!

I would advise anyone looking to buy a wind instrument to try it first. Try not to make a descision based on a recording as 50% of this will be player specific. The Myazawa sounded completely different when i played it compared to when it's owner played it. I hated it - many would lynch me for saying that, but its all subjective. Instruments are so personal.

Stephen Howard - no relation to Brian Howard, but spooky eh? - has reviewed the low whistle on his website and is also expected to post a review of the flute.

Happy whistling! Linda
ambaiste

Post by ambaiste »

The flutes are manufactured to Howard Music specifications and before shipping to the customer they are very carefully set up to give the best performance. This ensures the very best quality of sound from the instrument. Howard Music recommends that all flute players have their flutes serviced at least annually.