Bag Cover Patterns?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tjnor

Bag Cover Patterns?

Post by tjnor »

Does anyone have a pattern for a bag cover for Uilleann Pipes? My wife is going to make one for me, but she'd like some guidance. I've heard that most people use velveteen for the material. I've also heard mention of a zipper (?) How does that work?
Elmek
antispam: No

Re: Bag Cover Patterns?

Post by Elmek »

just draw around the bag and add around 1/2" so it is not too tight and a bit more at the back so hat the leather bag does not show and it can be closed using Zip or velcro so still easy to access bag

John
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
tjnor

Post by tjnor »

Thanks Elmek and Uilliam.

There actually is a lot of info on C & F for bag covers. Mostly just deals with retail sources.

What about fringe-can I get a discussion going about fringe?
Kinry

Post by Kinry »

let's talk about fringe now. i want a frank and honest discussion about fringe.

it seems to me... that these are the main places where fringe is found:

a) around the openings in the bag.
b) running down the underside of the bag where the seam would be.
c) at the back of the bag.
d) where a cover for the bag>bellows tube is found, at the ends of said cover.

The most common of these i would say is a), and where fringeing is found one of the bag's openings it is very often found on all of them, and is often used in combination with b) or c). d) is much rarer.

fringeing comes in a variety of styles, from a simple line of fringe to all manner of tassles and borders. See a habadashery or drapery for ideas!

err... should probably go to bed. anyone want to add anything else?
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Well now there's fringe and there's fringe. But there is also fringe with tassles! I got me one of them

...jealous?

I'm hanging on to Ol' Fringey (or is that Ol' Tassley?) just in case I'm on a sinking ocean liner and they are calling for women, children, and Flemish merchants to board the life boats. :thumbsup:

t
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Todays tip for those of ye wi oot a wifey
Take a polo neck jumper turn it sideways and ye have a bag cover. Neck of the pipe through one arm Stock through neck and blow pipe through the other arm
Voila.. guaranteed to catch the eye in any session and may even attract the little lady drinking poteen at the bar who may offer to drop everything and become your bag-maker.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam

ps if ye decide to ignore the above tip then remember to get your wife to buy Heavy Duty Velvet (upholstery) The other stuff wears thin very quickly.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
djm

Post by djm »

Looks like we've found the lunatic fringe. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

My wife made me one for xmas last year, and struggled to find anything definitive on the web. At the time she bravely said that she'd be most happy to pass on all her insights to others (she did a nice line in adding bits around the stocks inc fringe) and so PM me and I'll put you in touch, then later she'll kill me probably . . .

I offered her steady work at £50 a bag cover but she was quite rude!
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

You know, I think Uilliam's onto something. And this little number would even be closer in size ... and has fringe! Plus at these prices you can get one for every season.

Not sure about the color, though.

Ah, this is nice and manly. And so useful while piping in a deer stand. They'll never know you're there!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.